Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
Front Corner Dent

Hi,

I have a friend who owns 2004 Safari 19-foot. On his recent trip, he hit a big tree by accident, which ended up leaving a huge dent on a front top corner. Attached is a picture of the trailer my friend sent me last night. It looks the damage has affected more than one shinny panel.

Would it be possible to DIY repair the dent?

Please let me know if you know any professional/shop who can fix the damage near Seattle, WA. Thank you.

-Flying Donka
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4457.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	230351  
escaflowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The first thing to try would be the various "paint free" automotive dent removal techniques like suction cups. Some forums members have had good luck hot-gluing a large nail head to the dent and then giving a yank on the nail shaft. A dent like this isn't just going to "pop" out and be unnoticeable, but you may be able to get it pulled out with only minimal rippling and crinkling visible (the metal actually stretches from this kind of dent).

If you want to really get into it, you could remove the interior walls and try to "roll" the dent out from behind. Rolling dents is more art then skill, and it is possible to make an even worse mess of the dent (believe me, I have).

The only way to restore it to brand new appearance would be to replace the segments. You can do this yourself as well, but it is no simple task. The panels themselves, with shipping will run you about $500 apiece.

Last I heard, professional segment replacement usually runs about $2000 per segment, and you have two dented segments. Why not use insurance?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What happened to the tongue jack?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
The first thing to try would be the various "paint free" automotive dent removal techniques like suction cups. Some forums members have had good luck hot-gluing a large nail head to the dent and then giving a yank on the nail shaft. A dent like this isn't just going to "pop" out and be unnoticeable, but you may be able to get it pulled out with only minimal rippling and crinkling visible (the metal actually stretches from this kind of dent).

If you want to really get into it, you could remove the interior walls and try to "roll" the dent out from behind. Rolling dents is more art then skill, and it is possible to make an even worse mess of the dent (believe me, I have).

The only way to restore it to brand new appearance would be to replace the segments. You can do this yourself as well, but it is no simple task. The panels themselves, with shipping will run you about $500 apiece.

Last I heard, professional segment replacement usually runs about $2000 per segment, and you have two dented segments. Why not use insurance?

good luck!
First of all, thank you very much for replying on this post. Your info, tips, and advices are very helpful and greatly appreciated. I forwarded your feedback to my friend in Seattle. I expect to hear from him soon. He is a professional carpenter and a commercial builder/contractor. I guess he is trying to repair by himself first before calling insurance or a shop. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What happened to the tongue jack?

Kelvin
Very good question. I didn't notice until you bring it up. I also asked him what has happened. I'm looking forward to hearing from him soon.