Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Flooded rear storage/galley area

Hello, I've been soaking up all I can from the forums over recent months and am hoping for advice on a big (?) repair just ahead.

My '06 Bambi storage area flooded and I need to decide on the best possible fix

The repair technician said the original rear hatch gasket was installed wrong allowing water to seep up under the bed and creep all the way to the bathroom area! Yuck. Black mold took hold and I want to be sure I deal with it correctly (sooner than later).

I've attached a couple of pics: much obliged for any input on how I should approach this repair (feel free to PM me, too).

I'm based in Portland Oregon and hope to find a local or nearby shop that offers top-notch repairs. The technician who pulled off the floor and removed the bed-frame and other systems adjacent to the areas behind the bathroom and closet indicates a partial cut-away and subfloor replacement will do the trick. It seems wise to get a second opinion to be sure the fix works the first time around.

Thanks!
Susan, aka Pea Pod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	226200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	226201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	226202  
Pea Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
There are others with newer Airstreams like yours that have had rain water ingression from the rear body to floor joint. Search for threads in the subfloor repair category.

You probably have probed the subfloor with an ice pick or sharp awl. If the subfloor is soft, then it needs replaced. If not, then maybe mitigating the mold is all thats needed. I had a section that I bleached, and then encapsulated with polyurethane.

The OSB flooring is known to rot when wet, so it is best to have it replaced, along with the cause of the leaks repaired.

As you may know, the sub floor is attached to the frame, and the shell is attached to the sub floor (essentially). The repair person must be familiar with Airstream construction. The new floor section must be driven under the shell. It's a big job.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
David, I appreciate the information, especially drawing my attention to the flooring material. I'll take your recommendation to search for others faced with the same problem.

The info you shared makes me wonder why a partial floor replacement was suggested at all. I'd guess you can't really salvage any of the floor as the water definitely marinated the entire area (and the technician works on Airstream's).

One thing's certain: I only want to do this fix once!
-Susan
Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Get it out of the rain and dry it out. I doubt your subfloor is OSB. Once dry then it can probably be treated. Many have had this unfortunate problem and have not had to replace parts of the subfloor. Do a search for this issue to see what others have done. Good luck.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Kelvin, I sure hope it's not OSB! First thing tomorrow I'm going to research exactly what the flooring is installed.

The techs were pretty clear it is completely saturated through and no longer viable. That, coupled with mold, leads me to think the best option is to replace it. But I definitely want to learn more about the options: if I can do a partial replacement with confidence it sure beats a full replacement.

I suspect it's been wet/damaged as early as April when I took a video of streaming water behind the bathroom near the wheel well ( at the time, I was told it wasn't due to a leak but rain run-off).

Thanks for the advise!
Susan
Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here it the thread by BoldAdventure describing his "bold adventure" with leaky rear end sealing design. Maybe it will give you some insight to the problem.

You will find other threads in the "repairing subfloors and frames" .

A moisture meter to detect a wet subfloor so you can address the cause is a very important Airstream maintenance chore.

We like to say all Airstreams leak or are gonna leak.

David

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...or-124684.html
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I got water in the rear storage area simply because the door didn't close tight. The latches needed to be adjusted to make the door seal good against the gasket.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea Pod View Post
Kelvin, I sure hope it's not OSB! First thing tomorrow I'm going to research exactly what the flooring is installed.
Susan
Susan, from your photos your floor certainly looks like OSB to me. Good luck with the fix, there are many threads here about alternative flooring materials, including marine plywood and coosa board.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Thanks for all of the helpful advice and links! David, I'll get my hands on a moisture meter: I'd hate to do this kind of fix only to deal with another up front (amazing how big my '16 is feeling all of the sudden).

Bold Adventures venture sure seems like a preview of what's in store for me.

And m.hony I checked the latches and I think you're right: seems like there's a bit of give , though the rubber seal seems snug so not sure why that's the case.

Bob, I'm 100% sure I'll ask for a different flooring to go in- I'm doing more research on Coosa and think it could be a great option given I'm in the rainy NW.

Thanks again! Sure helps to have experienced folks and a sense of community when faced with such a daunting repair!