Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Flat Tire HELP

I'm on the side of the road with a flat (25' Safari). I can't get the lug nuts to loosen, but there is a tiny bit of play both ways...maybe 1/16". If anyone can help please give me a call 757-574-2709.

Thanks!
Mark
Chaffmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I don't know what is needed to get the lug nuts loose. But I do understand that it is alright to pull it with three good tires a short distance. Just go slow.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That tiny bit of play both ways is not the lug not loosening, but the decorative chrome cover. This cover does not come off, it is pressed onto the actual lug nuts, it is often a bit loose. Someone may have muscled the nuts on there without a torque wrench. You need a longer bar to break them loose.

Many have replaced these original lug nuts with a solid chromed version.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
I don't know what is needed to get the lug nuts loose. But I do understand that it is alright to pull it with three good tires a short distance. Just go slow.
Yes, but tire damage is a possibility.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Yeah, my lug wrench is pathetic and I couldn't get enough torque to loosen the nuts. A DOT truck stopped to help out and we got them loose. Got the spare on and all is well. Funny thing is the flat looks fine. I'm going to air it up tomorrow to find the leak but was wondering if I could have side loaded it and broke the seal on the rim? Has anyone heard of this happening?

Mark
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use our torque wrench to get lug bolts off and on...works far better than a regular lug wrench because you have far better leverage... It's good to check your lug bolts for tightness periodically anyway...Don't leave home without it...

Glad you got it changed and all is well...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TB, or anyone, does it hurt the calibration of the torque wrench to use it as a breaker bar? If not that would be great and one less tool to carry around.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We use our torque wrench to get lug bolts off and on...works far better than a regular lug wrench because you have far better leverage... It's good to check your lug bolts for tightness periodically anyway...Don't leave home without it...

Glad you got it changed and all is well...
I may be wrong, but I seam to recall reading or hearing that you should not use your torque wrench to remove the lug nuts because it can be damaged (thrown out of calibration?). I would like to hear from the pros if this is true or not.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have not heard that there's an issue with using a torque wrench to loose lug bolts. The calibration of the torque wrench is adjustable ... I don't see the harm of loosening a lug bolt with it if the calibration is reset before using it to torque lug bolts....especially when it's nearly impossible to loosen the lug bolts without it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Adjust your torque wrench to a setting higher, say 100 lbs, than the applied setting, usually 85 lbs. You won't damage your calibration.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you can use a torque wrench for removal, but I personally carry a breaker bar for this purpose. Remember to unwind your torque wrench when not being used; Mine stores at the lowest setting, which is 20lbs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
TB, or anyone, does it hurt the calibration of the torque wrench to use it as a breaker bar? If not that would be great and one less tool to carry around.

doug k
Most torque wrenches can be damaged by, well, excessive torque.

The old "beam style" ones get thrown out of calibration.

On the newer "ratchet with a click" style ones the ratchet is the weak point, especially on the cheaply made ones. I've wrecked one just by using it at the high end of its torque range.

Even the really good ratchets aren't as strong as flex heads.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
By now you may have the lug nuts loose if not you might want to try adding leverage to your lug wrench by adding the brass bar used to help with the sway bars. this just might provide the leverage you need.

I replaced my lug wrench with the old fashion ones that came with the cars way back when. They look like a cross and have four different nut sizes on the end. They provide significantly more leverage then the single bar wrenches.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
O.k. This is important!!!

For everyone. In a discussion with Kip, our resident Airplane/Airstream metal magician, at the Resto Rally in Albuquerque, overtightened tight lug nuts came up in discussion.
We were amazed at the way our favorite tire shops....and some of us doing our own maintenance....install tires.
Watch 'em. Tire off. Tire installed and placed on Airstream. Air wrench used to tighten all lug nuts. Then (if your lucky) a quick run around with the torque wrench.
WAIT A MINUTE!!!
How are they going to check the torque reliably AFTER putting the nuts on with a powerful air wrench...? If they over tightened the nut you will never know with that torquing....and you may be so overtightened that you will not be able to take the tire off without a breaker bar. The torquing has to begin below the lbs set on the wrench. Make 'em do it right.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
So what is the proper torque, or does it differ by model?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
80# is sufficient. Don't use the torque wrench. Get a cross wrench or long breaker bar to remove the lug nuts.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
I was at our SoCal AS dealer and asked their service manager what the correct torque for our 2009 27FB should be and was told to set it at 110ft lb. Comments welcome, always want to know and understand more....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
I was at our SoCal AS dealer and asked their service manager what the correct torque for our 2009 27FB should be and was told to set it at 110ft lb. Comments welcome, always want to know and understand more....
Hi, my trailer's lug nuts are supposed to be torqued at 110 to 120 lbs. and I torque mine at 120 lbs. Note: my steel spare wheel is only supposed to be torqued at 90 lbs. I'm sure mine and Scott J-24's specs are the same, but many Airstreams are different, year to year, and wheel to wheel.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I do not have a torque wrench however I always check the lug nuts just as I do tire pressure before and doing a trip
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
For everyone. In a discussion with Kip, our resident Airplane/Airstream metal magician, at the Resto Rally in Albuquerque, overtightened tight lug nuts came up in discussion.
We were amazed at the way our favorite tire shops....and some of us doing our own maintenance....install tires.
Watch 'em. Tire off. Tire installed and placed on Airstream. Air wrench used to tighten all lug nuts. Then (if your lucky) a quick run around with the torque wrench.
WAIT A MINUTE!!!
How are they going to check the torque reliably AFTER putting the nuts on with a powerful air wrench...? If they over tightened the nut you will never know with that torquing....and you may be so overtightened that you will not be able to take the tire off without a breaker bar. The torquing has to begin below the lbs set on the wrench. Make 'em do it right.
Most forward-thinking tire shops perform initial tightening with a "torque stick" to around 75% of final torque. The "torque stick" is a specialized socket with a torsion element that limits the effective torque that can be developed when the stick is used with an impact wrench. This method allows tires to be installed quickly while still allowing more accurate final hand torquing.