Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
Camping World New Braunfels

I need a few relatively minor check ups and repairs on my single-axle 16' 2008 International. Electric Tongue Jack works intermittantly -- possible an electricity short. Front stove top burner works, back burner doesn't. Latch and cable on rear entry to internal storage compartment need to be replaced. Breaks need to be checked and brearings repacked.

Camping World in New Braunfels Texas has only one Airstream Service Technician @ $120.00 per hour. Does anyone have experience with this service shop? I am a Good Sam/Camping World member and they are a Good Sam facility, if that means anything.
bspelce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
These are not AS specific repairs.. Is that what they charge for any service or just AS? Kinda steep!!!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Their Airstream tech is Mike Kume and he is an excellent tech and a friend. I specifically requested that Mike install my new refrigerator last year. Mike repacked my bearings before my last trip.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
These are not AS specific repairs.. Is that what they charge for any service or just AS? Kinda steep!!!

Must be a regional, or Camping World thing. As of about 12 days ago, Airstream in Jackson Center charged $109.00 per hour.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We don't have any experience with Camping World Service; however, we do have very experience having used Top's Texas Vintage Trailers (Lance, owner of this Service Shop, is on the Forums as TOP). He's closer than Camping World and did a great job on a recent long list of items for our Airstream. He's also much closer to you than Camping World.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
We don't have any experience with Camping World Service; however, we do have very experience having used Top's Texas Vintage Trailers (Lance, owner of this Service Shop, is on the Forums as TOP). He's closer than Camping World and did a great job on a recent long list of items for our Airstream. He's also much closer to you than Camping World.
I wonder whether TOP could replace a segment. I don't want to go to Camper Clinic and I don't think Camping World does that sort of thing.

I turned down a nice paved road and ended up in a cotton field. When trying to get out, the trailer jacknifed and I dented a front segment. I haven't called it in to the insurance yet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Mr. Irwin,
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate off road experience. I sure can help you with anything your Airstream needs.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
Smile

I went to RV Outlet Mall in Georgetown Texas. Repack bearings (one axle/two tires) and six relatively "minor" but irritating problems resolved. $80 parts, $280 labor, $14 shop supplies plus tax. Delivered clean and on time as promised. Bubba (Service Manager), Susan (Service Advisor) and Brian were all very helpful and friendly.

I'm a happy camper!
bspelce is offline   Reply With Quote