Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Red deer , Alberta
Breaker trips when fridge is on.

We got our self a new to us 93 21' Sovereign AS. The trailer had been sitting un used for 6 or 7 years. I took it home and checked everything out. For the most part everything works. The hot water heater works but flutters and doesn't heat the water very fast (orange flame) the inverter makes big buzzing sound, furnace works fine, and the fridge works fine on propane but as soon as I switch it over to electric the breaker trips. So I unplugged the electrical fridge cord and plugged it directly in the house outlet but the breaker trips right away. What am I missing?
Free range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
The 120v that the refrigerator uses goes through a relay and then is applied to a small heating unit that sits in a groove adjacent to the flue.

I would open the back of the reefer and check to see if any little creatures have gnawed on any wiring. If not, then remove one lead on the heating element and plug it in. If the breaker doesn't trip, most likely that heating element is bad (shorted).
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Terminology. You’re not likely to have an inverter so it’s probably the converter that is buzzing. Probably because it’s charging dead or bad batteries are hard as it can go. These issues don’t seem to be related. Orange flame on the “hot” water heater. could be flue plugged up. Or low pressure or a dirty jet. Make sure it’s not in a partial winterize mode and the outside shower valves (if it has one) are off. When fridge trips the breaker, is it the one in the AS panel ? When you plug fridge (and only the fridge) into house socket, can I assume the breaker that trips is at the house?