Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Park Hill , Oklahoma
'68 Overlander to Toy Hauler

I want to convert the rear area of my 68 Overlander to be able to haul my motorcycle. I'm sacraficing the current rear bath and closet configuration but think I can relocate a elevated toilet and sink possibly where the rear dresser is or over the wheel well. The back fold down bed lay out may also need adjustment but that should be fairly easy.
Other than the plumbing relocation, my largest problem will be creating the rear door and opening while maintaining the structure.
Has anyone attempted this? or will I be shunned by all for taking the shears to my Airstream?
After 29 years in the construction industry and several freinds in the aircraft field I think this could really be a unique trailer if constructed properly while maintaining the vintage style.

Thank you for any ideas, Max
maxtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Well airstream has a new model that has something of that sort in the back, it might be worth investigating what they did for structure back there. The rear of the rig, especially one that long is very structural on that back channel and a door would remove much of that as you mentioned. I suppose anything is possible, and who's to say a really nice job won't work for what you need and look good too. It's your trailer to do with what you please.

Some other things to consider: frame/shell may need additional structure to handle the added interior weight of your motorcycle(s). As you move interior around keep in mind balance from side to side and how relocating tanks etc front to back can affect tongue weight and potential rear end sway on a long rig like that.

Just some homework to do, but could be cool.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

1968 26' Overlander
Park Hill , Oklahoma
Thanks for the heads up on the newer one to look at. Building the door and trimming the opening would be easier if I have a working example. I feel I can beef the stucture up for the new opening and added weight, just takes time and $$.
Ballance from front to back will be a issue that I must have solved before anything happens. Depending on how I address the layout, I could get the bike centered over the second axle. Thanks again, and I'll let you know when the sparks fly.

Max
maxtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Something else to consider, I don't know how much one of those bikes weighs, but your axles are probabyl shot anyway, if/when you replace them you may want to up the weight rating on them and switch to a new rim with a bigger ply tire.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

One must remember, the 1968 have a "4 inch" frame. Unless you plan to build another frame under the current frame you will in a matter of a few miles on a bumpy road start to pop rivets and make the rear sag issue of same type trailers look good. Of coarse, new axles are a must but will make little difference.

If you want to build something like this, get a newer trailer with a six inch or large frame to carry the load.

Just my thought, your results could very.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I have to agree with rideair on the concern of the frame's ability to handle the weight of the motorcycle. I'm restoring a '68 sovereign, which luckily didn't have damage to the frame but definitely had separation from the shell. We changed our configuration and have a queen bed back there now, but I beefed up the connection from the frame to the shell with a little jury-rigging of large steel L brackets on the interior under the bed (where you can't see them). I'd still consider a way to beef the frame from the axle back so the frame doesn't bend under the weight of the motorcycle when going over those lovely pot holes at 65 miles per hour! I've seen a diagram on this forum from Andy at Inland that showed a good way to "repair" the sag - that may be a good place to start in the beefing up...if only I could find that link...I'll keep trying.
Good luck with your retrofitting!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote