Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Wiring brakes

We just re wired the brakes on our 52 Cruiser. Prior to the rewiring...the progidy brake controller could be set for an average of 6-7. Now, however, it will not go above 3.7. What have we done wrong...any suggestions.

Ken and Doug
Old 12-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
It's possible you accidentally wired the magnets in series instead of parallel.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
It's possible you accidentally wired the magnets in series instead of parallel.
How do we check to see if its in series rather than parallel? (As you can see, I am a novice at this.) Ken
Old 12-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Did you make a drawing of the wiring connections before you replaced the wiring? It's also possible that you have a bad connection.

You should have the brake wire from the tow vehicle connected to each brake at a common point, not in a 'daisy chain'. You may also have a poor ground connection. It may be best to take it to a trailer shop and have someone else get dirty trying to track it down.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

The voltage will be around 12 volts across each magnets with breakaway pin pulled. If wired in series the voltage will be 6 volts approximately. Another way to test is place an ampmeter in series with your battery and pull the breakaway pin. The current is around 10 amps on my 70 overlander
FrenchBern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Brakes have me stumped

Maybe someone can help. I don't think I have brakes on the trailer when I push the brake pedal. This is confirmed by not having power at the vehicle 7 plug connector for the brake and no light on the brake controller when the brake pedal is pushed. Also no power in the wire from the brake controller (red wire) to the vehicle non-powered brake connection (on my 2004 GMC it's the light blue wire. I can't say that I know it ever worked since it was wired last summer as I probably thought it worked but didn't really ever check it. Now I really wonder. The brake controller worked on other vehicles including the light on the brake controller when the brake pedal was pushed.

The manual level on the brake controller does make the light on the brake controller come on and there is power at the 7 plug when the manual level is used. (however, the brake lights do not come on the trailer when only the level is used to activate the brakes which I am told is normal.)

Any ideas? Brake controller is an older Kelsey about 8 years old. I'm not sure its the brake controller that's the problem. Thanks. Rich

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
rich

do you have the adjustment knob turned all the way down? i'd bet your controller is bad.

john
Old 05-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
John: I've tried moving the knob all the way in both directions without any luck. Maybe I'll get myself a new brake controller for Father's Day. The GMC dealer hooked it up for me so I'll stop by and have him look at it tomorrow. $145 for a Prodigy at the local RV store.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote