Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Thanks for the added info!

Sounds as though we have several similarities!

Apart from the trailer braking problems due to ground issues on the trailer, I also have had problems with the ITBC (integrated trailer brake controller) built into my 2008 GMC 2500HD.

This has been going on for a year or so and the truck has been back to the dealer multiple times for them to try to sort it out. I think they have it fixed now but not really certain.

It is a fairly complicated system and has its on "brake control module" mounted on the frame near the left rear wheel as well as a trailer brake relay located in the same location. There are also other components such as a pressure sensor at the brake master cylinder.

I was getting repeated "Service trailer brake system" warning messages on the truck and I would get this message at times with the trailer attached and many times with no trailer both with and without the trailer attached.

This means an issue on the truck itself - there is a different message that you may get if a problem on the trailer itself is detected. I think it then reads
"Check trailer brakes."

Things had got to the point where I was getting the "Service trailer brake system"
almost every time we used the truck!

I took it to the dealer - they could not find any issue and basically told me to ignore the messages and that "they thought" the braking on my trailer would still be ok - didn't inspire great confidence!

Things seem to be getting worse and I took the truck back to them a few weeks later to ask them to contact GM techs if they could not fix it.

Ths time, they "re-flashed" the trailer brake control module with the latest software. My understanding is that GM felt some of the parameters in the control unit were set to tight and too many warning messages were being sent so they loosened the parameters in the latest software.

For a while I thought that had fixed things ........ but no, I got more warnings!

I was getting pretty frustrated and started asking about disabling the system and installing an aftermarket controller.

I was told by the dealer that although this might be possible, the dash would continue giving warning messages as it was all tied into the truck's "body computer and it would sense a problem! I'm not really sure if this is true or not, I think it may be from other comments I have read.

Anyway, I gave them another chance to try to diagnose things. This time, they replaced the trailer brake control relay - a solid state relay mounted on the truck frame at the driver's side rear wheel.

That was maybe a month ago and so far, no warning messages, so I'm hopeful that was the problem! The parts guy at the dealer said that they sell a lot of those relays!

I have spent about $750 so far on this nonsense - could have bought several aftermarket brake controllers for that!

I get less and less enthusiastic about all the complex electronics built into today's vehicles!

I think everything is working ok electrically with truck and trailer brakes now, but there is one thing I am still a bit curious about.

When I recently monitored the brake current flowing from the truck, first to a dummy load I made up using a set of new brake magnets I had on hand, and then with my actual trailer, the current did rise to around 15 amps which is correct.

However, when I was watching the ammeter with my wife applying the truck brakes, there was a noticeable lag in the current build up to 15 amps from the truck.

That surprised me, as I asked my wife to hit the brakes hard and hold them down - like emergency braking.

I would have thought I would see the full 15 amps almost immediately but it seemed to take a couple of seconds for the current to build to the maximum.

Perhaps that is normal, I don't know.

Anyway, that is my story to date! Research on the internet on different forums revealed I was far from alone in my experience with GM's ITBC.

If I ever had to buy another tow vehicle - not likely - I would sure be looking to buy one without the integrated controller if I could, but I image that if you want the factory tow package, there is no choice.

If I have further problems with what I have, I will be looking deeper into the possibility of bypassing it and using an aftermarket controller that I can deal
with or replace at little expense if it acts up!

I've only ever had aftermarket controllers before, and they have been fine!

Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Correct. I purchased the 'ground lugs' at my local 'electrical supply house'. They are readily available. I could not locate easily at my local 'home store' in their 'electrical' section.. when I did, they were nearly 3 times the cost as the 'supply' house.

Of course, Canada may be different in sourcing and purchase.

There is another near the stern...so, certainly clean it up, too. In Theory... one ground is 'sufficient' if it can carry the 'load'...

My grounds were totally corroded.. the lights are now 'brighter' in the AS... things are better!

I just need to break in my new brakes..

On my first outing, I guess they were not adjusted..although I did a series of 20 forward and reverse actions with brakes released and applied..

The 'brake magnets' got really warm and you could smell the 'breaking ... but it is not braking properly...

So, we crawled under and manually adjusted the brakes.

I have not been able to make a 'long pull' since, but, checking in the driveway, the brakes are better.. but not up to the original capacity of the 'old' ones..

I will try to test by using the 'breakaway' switch this afternoon.... the purpose, to see if there is a problem with the Tow Vehicle brake power, umbilical, etc...

Anyone have a 2012 Chevy OEM brake controller fail? (all battery power is good on the TV).. all connections clean and good to go..

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks for the added info!

Sounds as though we have several similarities!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I have further problems with what I have, I will be looking deeper into the possibility of bypassing it and using an aftermarket controller that I can deal
with or replace at little expense if it acts up!

I've only ever had aftermarket controllers before, and they have been fine!

Brian.
Wow! That is far more than I...brakes were "good-excellent" before all the recent work. I am hoping there is no "truck" issue.. Once brakes get a chance to "break in"...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote