Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #101
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I purchased my 2007 Classic in June of this year and noticed the active brake actuator and read about it. It sounded like a good addition. I started reading this thread today and the more I read the more terrified I got. Just finished a 5000 mile trip last month. I went out to get my VIN no. to call AS tomorrow. Looking at the brake actuator, I saw a bunch of loose wires. I then traced the brake lines to the wheels and find they don't connect to anything. I have drum brakes and apparently standard electric brakes, so I removed the Active Brake actuator ( more storage space). I guess AS installed the actuator on all classics regardless of whether they were to be used or not. Not sure but my fears have been reduced.
PO probably changed them out after having problems and never bothered to remove the actibrake.

Bob
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #102
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Ours Is Working Fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I did some troubleshooting today and realized the brake controller is reseting itself when I stop and start the tow vehicle engine. I've tried to contact Hayes (I have a Genesis controller) but nobody has called back yet.

On a related note. I called Kodiak since it's their brand of disc brakes. They don't test controllers. They leave that up to the actuator company or installer. However, Kodiak indicated their suggestion for actuator is Carlisle or BrakeRite. The person I spoke to at Kodiak indicated they had not tested Dexter. That does not mean Dexter will not work. Of course this should all be confirmed for your situation as information like this has a way of changing.

I also spoke to Airstream in Jackson Center. Their first choice for aftermarket brake actuators is Dexter (since ActiBrake does not exist any more). The technician recommended the Hayes Genesis controller as first choice and Tekonsha P3 as the second choice with aftermarket disc brakes.

I'll keep you posted.

Lucius
Our problems were entirely with the Hayes brake controller. Hayes sent a new unit and I installed it per their detailed instructions. The Hayes unit was covered under lifetime warranty - WOW! - so there was no cost to me. A big thanks to the Hayes people and products.

We've subsequently had the ActiBrake "inspection" performed and no problems were found. For now we'll keep going as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #103
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Lucius,

Just for grins, you might want to take a look at my ActiBrake "cutaway" you can see the fluid soaked control board, long story, this one "passed" inspection, but it was drilled wrong. I moved on to Carlisle.

Only suggestion I have, if yours has been inspected and passed, just keep an eye out for brake fluid weeping out of the inspection hole.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #104
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Only suggestion I have, if yours has been inspected and passed, just keep an eye out for brake fluid weeping out of the inspection hole.
Great minds think alike! I have an idea for a drip pan that I may have fabricated to put under the ActiBrake unit.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote