Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Where's the Spare?

Hi all,

I just bought a 97 28' Excella and have yet to take it on a trip as I'm still having towing issues with my 1/2 ton truck but that's another story.

In doing an inspection of the trailer I notice there was not a spare, nor could I see any place where a spare would be. My question is: Did Airstream sell these units without spares and where would a spare be mounted if they did.

This seemed weird to me as even box units have spares mounted on the rear bumper. Do I have to carry a spare in the bed of my truck?

I also notice that some of the streams have rock guards mounted on the corners in the front, but mine doesn't have these, are they options? I thought the Excella was there top of the line unit and had all the options.

Henry
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
your trailer is riding on the spare. You pull the trailer up onto a couple of boards under the good tire so the flat dangles, and remove it. Then proceed at reduced speed top a place of repair.
If you want one, the spare carrier is an option still available, it goes under the front of the trailer between the a-frame. The stone guards are an option, and it just depends on what options were checked off when the trailer was ordered. They are also still available.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #3

1957 22' Caravanner
mississauga , ont canada
Hi I am going to pick up a 1957 22' single axle airstream.Could some tell me what size,bolt pattern rim & tire I need to have a spare.Thanks in advance...Bob
as1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by as1957 View Post
Hi I am going to pick up a 1957 22' single axle airstream.Could some tell me what size,bolt pattern rim & tire I need to have a spare.Thanks in advance...Bob
Welcome to the forums.
The wheel should be 15", 6 lug, 5 1/2" bolt pattern, 2600 pound capacity, zero offset. If the tires are on the original wheels, they likely will be split rims, and will be virtually impossible to get someone to work on.