Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Exclamation Check that Spare

I leave for Boise in the morning. I spent some time the afternoon pre-flighting the truck and trailer. Checking all the tire pressures. All of the trailer tires were a couple pounds low. A quick encounter with the air compressor and they were all back up to spec. I then turned to the Truck.
Tire pressures were looking good. 75, 75,75, 42. Aw !&$@. I have a serious leak. The tire looked fine without a load. So I pulled around to the concreate and broke out the tools. About 45 minutes later the new one was mounted and torqued. Only one small problem. The spare had one 45 pounds of pressure in it. Out comes the air compressor again. I filled it back up to pressure. She is now ready to Roll!

So how does our spare pressure look? If this had happend on the highway I would have been able to handle it since I have a small compressoer and generator. Without it I would have been up a creek without the paddle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
_

. , .
yep, gotta check 'em.

so the obvious question is...

did u check the a/s spare too?

mine was 40psi at the last check.

now 65 in both spares.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I did not. was not worried about it. Four running tires. I have a compressor that I could bring it back up to pressure. I was more worried about the Tow vehicle. Much bigger tires and higher pressures.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After Lucy's big trip tire experiences, we have become very aware of her spare. I have it mounted in the rack with the ouside down so that we can get to the valve stem. Since we have used the spare so often, it was up to snuff. We also carry a small comprfessor on board to bring it up to snuff.

We have also become expert at removing and remounting the spare. This is a talent that We never thought we would need.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've run through this before, but I'll mention it again. Tires will lose around a pound of pressure a month, just in the normal course of events. When you check your fluid levels, check your tire pressures as well. ALL tires.
If I had a dollar for every car I worked on that had at least one tire pressure at least 5 psi lower than spec, I would not have to work again.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I got my tire fixed and remounted today at Les Schwab in Boise. first time i have dealt with them. They were courteous and quick. nice. Service is not dead. Best of all they charged me nothing. While I was waiting. I inquired about replacing the set. I expect i will have to do that in a year of less. All costs included around $1000. Ouch. I will be taking care of the ones I have.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I will be taking care of the ones I have.
Michelle, how often do you rotate the tires on your truck and trailer? And do you cross-rotate, or keep them on the same side?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My spare dropped 7 pounds. I was surprised. A stop at a tire shop did not show any leaks anywhere. I also carry a small pump just in case. As for rotating tires, I do from side to side once through the summer just because it is easy for me to do in the shop out back. It gives me a chance to check the tires for unusual wear or signs of potential damage. Having a single axle makes this, IMHO, a key maintenance area. Having the spare in ready to go condition is another key. And yup, replacements are expensive Michelle, and we are learning that having new tires doesn't mean they will last a long time, based on other threads I've read here recently.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Rotate theose tires!

The truck gets rotated every service interval. 5000 miles. The trailer. They were rotated at the yearly service interval. They sems to be wearing evenly.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
12VDC air compressor

I've been looking for a good 12V compressor a while. One that would actually inflate a good sized tire in less than half an hour without burning out. Finally found one at .....COSTCO. It comes in a nice bag with a coil air hose and a screw-on fitting so you don't have to hold the thing on the stem forever.......AND IT WORKS!! I was skeptical, but I used it to top off the truck tires......5 PSI added in a couple of minutes.......and it has an ACCURATE air guage built in.

I'll post a shot with the name when I get the truck opened later today.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I've been looking for a good 12V compressor a while. One that would actually inflate a good sized tire in less than half an hour without burning out. Finally found one at .....COSTCO. It comes in a nice bag with a coil air hose and a screw-on fitting so you don't have to hold the thing on the stem forever.......AND IT WORKS!! I was skeptical, but I used it to top off the truck tires......5 PSI added in a couple of minutes.......and it has an ACCURATE air guage built in.

I'll post a shot with the name when I get the truck opened later today.
I got a rechargeable battery powered unit with the Campbell-Hausfeld brand at Home depot. It is a little better than the average "plug in the lighter" units, pumps up slightly faster, and no cord to unplug or trip over. It also has a built-in gauge.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I went through several 12V compressor before I gave up and bought a compact 120 V version. I always carry a generator.