Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I have the TST on a trailer we're towing now. First time we've used them. Head and shoulders above the tire minder system we had. Will put them on the Airstream next week and install the repeater.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TPMS are good devices when they work well. They won't protect you from a sudden blowout and subsequent wheel well area damage of vulnerable tires such as the ST tires Airstream furnishes with Airstreams.

My first purchase would be Michelin LT tires with their stellar blowout reliability, then any decent TPMS as an abundance of caution but primarily to warn of a leak when you may run over a nail.

We don't use TPMS but that's just a personal decision, not a recommendation. We do have Michelin 16" LT tires.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Serious tire issues like "blowouts" are preceded by spikes in temp/pressure, according to tire engineer experts...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
As to theft there was a big article in The Onion about a drug gang up in Idaho that was stealing TPMS sensors off of trailers to sell to support their drug buys. So if you stay out of Idaho, until the gang has been rounded up, you should be fine with whatever system you buy. One of the gang members was quoted that they were thinking about cutting open car and truck tires to get those TPMS sensors since there didn't seem to be that many on the trailers that they saw and it was getting tough to get enough sensors to get high. The Onion always has the most accurate cutting edge stories
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellinkat View Post
1) Any negative feedback on the TST system?
We have that exact system and love it. Manual tire pressure readings usually run 3-4 psi higher than the TST readings, but we use the monitors to watch for slow or rapid loss of pressure, not an exact reading.

2) How difficult is it to set up?
It was a little bit of a challenge. Just read the enclosed info and take your time. It was doable with time and patience. We did not need to call for help.

3) Considering the non flow through system. Is this OK, or should I get the flow through system?
We are glad we chose the flow through system. They are much easier to monitor pressures and add air than sensors that would have to be removed.

4) Is the repeater necessary to get the signal from the trailer to the tow vehicle? We have a 25' and did not need a repeater. it works consistently well for us.

5) Any problem with loss or theft of the sensors? We have not experienced any problem with loss or theft to date, but have only been using them eight months. We do cover our tires while in storage.

We still visually check the tires at every stop, but this gave us peace of mind that if something happened we might know about it before extensive damage was done to the coach. We did have trouble with one of the tires not holding air once the sensor was on (no matter how tight we turned it), but customer service was available and helpful. The issue was resolved with their first suggestion to use a dremel to remove just a very small amount of the end of sensor fitting. This allowed it to fit snugly and put an end to the air loss. They were willing to send a new sensor to where we were staying at the time, but that was not needed. Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with this system.

I can only concur - we have exactly the same good experience with the system. Last trip, we noted that one of the tires was running a bit low on pressure and a quick stop using our cheapo B&D rechargeable inflator was all we needed to be back to normal. It provides a great piece of mind. We have a 25FB and tow with an SUV.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Serious tire issues like "blowouts" are preceded by spikes in temp/pressure, according to tire engineer experts...
Correct. And you set your monitor system to give you a warning when the temp in the tire exceeds a certain setpoint. So the TPS is able to provide a warning before a blowout - perhaps not all the time; of course one could think about scenarios where the blowout can come without a spike in temp.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
After reading some of the posts I thought I should respond to some of the questions and responses.
For the 3+ years that I have been selling the TST system I have yet to need a repeater. I've actually talked several customers out of purchasing a repeater with the offer to send them one if they need it. Many of them have had other systems where they needed the repeater. I have put many systems on 45 foot motor homes pulling a towed vehicle behind the motor home and still haven't needed a repeater. If you did need one they are $59.00.

On the question of sensor accuracy, the accuracy is +\- 1.5psi. This is much better than the mechanical gauges and as good or better than any of the digital gauges. I have two high end commercial gauges that I don't even use anymore.

Regarding the flow through sensors. The flow through and the cap sensors are the same price and are interchangeable. I prefer the cap sensors because they do not require metal stems. Metal stems are better than rubber stems and certainly you should have your rubber stems replaced with metal stems when you have new tires installed. The flow through sensor anti-theft mechanism is much more difficult to use. It requires very small set screw and wrench and definitely needs to be removed if going through a car wash, truck not the trailer. Don't try taking the trailer through a car wash. Jerry.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks Jerry. Does the monitor have to be reset every time the sensors (cap or flow through) are removed and reinstalled to the stem?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
There is nothing to reset when the sensors are removed, when the batteries are replaced or when the monitor is turned off. If you want you can call and I'll tell you all about them. I also talk to people about tires, ST vs LT. Too much information on tires and monitoring systems to cover by typing. You can reach me at 813-781-2995.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I love my TST system and use it on our 34' without the need for a repeater. Too many Airstream friends have had tire problems and trailer damage as a result. The TST system is great insurance against that. Plus I like knowing the pressure and tire temps on an ongoing basis. Easy to set up. Change the batteries once an year without the need to reset the system afterwards.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Jerry TST recommends metal stems with external sensors. From their FAQ page

Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.

The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I use non flow through TST system did not need a repeater for my 30' FC and Ram 2500 TV. I have been on some muddy nasty dirt roads with no issues. Over 6500 miles has never dropped out or lost signal. Easy to set up. With the cap removal tool not much more effort than removing the original cap. People at TST were great to deal with. After initial set up just turn it on wait a few minutes and its up and running.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
After reading some of the posts I thought I should respond to some of the questions and responses.
For the 3+ years that I have been selling the TST system I have yet to need a repeater. I've actually talked several customers out of purchasing a repeater with the offer to send them one if they need it. Many of them have had other systems where they needed the repeater. I have put many systems on 45 foot motor homes pulling a towed vehicle behind the motor home and still haven't needed a repeater. If you did need one they are $59.00.

On the question of sensor accuracy, the accuracy is +\- 1.5psi. This is much better than the mechanical gauges and as good or better than any of the digital gauges. I have two high end commercial gauges that I don't even use anymore.

Regarding the flow through sensors. The flow through and the cap sensors are the same price and are interchangeable. I prefer the cap sensors because they do not require metal stems. Metal stems are better than rubber stems and certainly you should have your rubber stems replaced with metal stems when you have new tires installed. The flow through sensor anti-theft mechanism is much more difficult to use. It requires very small set screw and wrench and definitely needs to be removed if going through a car wash, truck not the trailer. Don't try taking the trailer through a car wash. Jerry.
Ditto on everything Jerry (Bandits) said. I too starting using TST products, then became a dealer for the TST system a couple of years ago. They are a great product. I literally don't tow anything without them now....including a landscape trailer. It is also correct that they can and have detected early heat signs indicative of tire blowout or failure. Heat is nearly always going to be present prior to a blowout...as generally the tread will start to separate, appearing as a protrusion or egg on the tire...this builds heat, triggering the sensor. Heat from a bad wheel bearing can also be picked up by the sensor. As Aviator (Craig) pointed out, it is insurance...insurance that we all should have whether it is a vintage Airstream or a newer Airstream or trailer of any kind for that matter. Although I'm not a salesman per say, I sell them because I...like the owners of the company (Dan and partner), as well as Jerry (Bandits) as well as current customers, firmly believe in the product. Typically, lifespan on a tire is determined by remaining tread...that is NOT the case with trailer tires. I personally am about to replace the custom made, expensive, wide whitewall ST trailer tires on our '67 Caravel before making anymore trips. The tires and tread could nearly pass for near new condition...having only logged about 9,000 miles...BUT the tire age dictates that they MUST be replaced. I plan to purchase a second set of wheels, retain the current wheels and tires for display only as we use the Caravel for a pool house in the summer...since we don't camp then. That way, our new tires will not be exposed to sunlight in the summers. Our camper is kept indoors the rest of the time. As I learned from an engineer friend at the most respected tire manufacturer in the country, UV rays and oxygen deteriorate tires...leading to tread separation. UV from the outside, oxygen from the inside...this interior degradation leads to tread separation. Another item I learned from him is that having trailer tires filled with Nitrogen is very important to reduce oxygen degradation from the inside. He also noted that this is not as critical on a car that is driven regularly as the tires will wear out long before degradation or tread separation occurs. To an extent, "nitrogen filling" is hype for everyday cars but very important to vehicles that are limited to lower mile driving...muscle cars, hot rods, trailers, campers, etc. Keeping tires covered/protected from UV when possible, is also important. As I said, I'm not a salesman but if you don't have tire pressure sensors, sooner or later, something will likely happen. It's just a fact. When it does, hopefully, you are able to stop safely and you are in a place that will be safe for you, your family and your rig until the tire can be replaced etc...and not too much damage is done. As many people will chime in and tell you, you usually don't even know you've had a tire failure until a passing motorists alerts you. The monitors are also a great way to keep an exact look at your pressure, and a reminder per say to do so...which I'm sure gives a good amount of $ return on your MPG.
Sorry for the long post...but it is something I believe in. I never push these but always have at least two sets with me for sale when I go camping. One of the reasons I don't push them is that Jerry (Bandits) is usually there at the same camping trip, does advertise, has been selling them longer than me, etc. He is a nice guy, is very well versed on them and has sold many, many sets. I never want to step on anyone's toes...I only sell them because I believe in them. Do yourself a favor and get you some TST monitors...from Jerry, me or somewhere.

Thanks, G

As someone said I think on this or another forum:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream or an Apache or a Coleman"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
I currently have the original tires on my 2015 27FB Serenity. So far I have put about 7000 miles on them. Jerry, you mention that you prefer the non flow through because they can be used on rubber stems. However, you then state that metal stems are preferable. What are the advantages of metal stems?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums