Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Tire Pressure Monitors

It is time for new tires and I figure I should do tire pressure monitors at the same time.
I have read the old threads on this subject, especially Tin Hut's & Tarheel's.

Would you folks please give me a quick review of what you think of your systems now; Cost of system, number of tires monitored, expandability, distance from dash that monitors work, pressure & or temperature, system reliability, etc.

My trailer is 29' (4) tires now but, am thinking of going to 35'. Do I buy an expandable system or go ahead and buy extra capacity. Smart tire is limited to 35' from monitor to sending unit.

Would appreciate any opinions on this subject. Thanks, Wingfoot321.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Thumbs up We are pleased

After hearing from one of unit members about his 5 different "tire events" over a 2 year period, we decided that our 6 tires needed to be watched while we tow. Our Pressure Pro system came about a week before we left for last year's Florida State Rally and we got used to checking the tire pressures with the unit before we broke camp, after the first half hour, and then probably on each hour during the run.
We could not be more pleased with the performance
nor with the peace of mind we get knowing that, instead of dragging a soft tire until explosion results, we would know about the problem within minutes.
I do take the sending units off during the winterized months and replace them at spring wake up.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We purchased units from PRESSURE PRO and on the first trip they saved us from a possibly costly repair after warning us of a tire failure. We monitor our 30' Classic along with our tow vehicle. These units are easily installed and can be removed and reinstalled for each trip in a flash. Good luck.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Thank you for the replys, Sounds very positive.

Has anyone bought the locks and the hardwire cord they sell? It looks like with a four tire version it will be about $425. Still cheaper than my insurance deductible if I had to replace a fenderwell or lower panel.

Has anyone tried the smart tire version?

I can't find a website but, picked up a couple vendors on Google. Cheaper system but, seems to have one major technical issue with the 35' transmitter limitation. A 35footer would be pushing that distance limit even with my ext cab, short bed GMC.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Wingfoot,

You can find the PRESSURE PRO at;

www.doranmfg.com

We tow with a crewcab, short bed and tow a 30' trailer with no transmission problems from the Pressure Pro to the receiver. Good luck with your search.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I have Smart Tire, my best friend (a full timer) has Pressure Pro. He has had various problems, I have had none. We have both been warned of adverse events by our system.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wingfoot,

There is another solution to the tire pressure problem that is far cheaper and IMHO, safer also. It's called Ride-On tire sealant. I have used this product for 5 years in every tire that I own: single axle motorcycle trailer, motorcycles, TV's and family cars (and my new 19'CCD). Even used it on a 40' Diesel pusher MoHo. THIS STUFF WORKS! I have no finanacial interest in this company either.

It is a self-balancing water based formula that seals tire punctures if and when they happen, I recently found 2 screws in a rear motorcycle tire and never knew it as the tire never lost any air.

I have not had a blow-out since I have started using this product. I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. The best part is that it will not do any damage to any type of wheel rim like others do and it is easily washed out of the tire with water of a repair is necessary.

You can find it at: www.ride-on.com.

Just my $.02
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tire Pressure Monitors

Lewster
The tire sealeant is a great thing. You pick up a nail or something like that the sealeant will work just fine. The only problem is that the trouble being experienced is the seperation of the steel belts in the tires. This in my case led to the slow bleeding off of the tire pressure in the tire. Had I not had a tire pressure monitor of some sort on the trailer tires, I would probally not have been aware of the developing problems until the tire started failing the trailer as it slung apart. As good as the sealant is, I will not plug up a hole caused by the tire carcas changing shape sue to the belts seperating and shifting.
Best 300.00 or so dollars I have spent.
Jim
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The last tire event that my Smart Tire warned me of occured when a rear simulator came off while under way. The valve extension to the inside dual when with it. This caused the tire to rapidly deflate since the extension was holding the schrader valve in the valve stem open but the end of the extensioin was pulled off by the departing simulator.

I wonder if the sealant could have dealt with this condition and if so how hard it would have been to repair?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Some tips....

Of course, use trailer rated tires.... I prefer the 8 ply Power King brand with a D rating and I have never had a problem. 10 ply cost more and tend to stay together if pressure is suddenly lost.
Have high pressure stems installed.
If you can, have the tires mounted and balanced at a shop that inflates with nitrogen. There is less loss of air pressure, especially in winter.
Have the tires balanced. Not all tire shops think this is normal procedure and you may have to ask.
Inflate your tires to the maximum pressure rating & keep checking them.
Check your tires before they mount them & after they are balanced. Don't accept more than a few inches of weight in one spot. It could be an indicator of an unbalanced rim or a bad tire...
Remove anything that extends a valve stem unless it is a metal extension on a metal stem when you have dual wheels. I had a rubber hose extension with a rim clip that broke at the clip and caused a blow out on a dually and I lost a tire.
Replace tires five years or older before they blow out and sooner if your mileage is approaching the rating of the tire.
Do not mix brands on the same side of your rig. Always replace both tires at the same time on the same side. Different brands have different profiles within the same size. Tread depth difference can cause a blowout as well.
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote