Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Larger wheel-well in EB?

I had an Airstream salesman tell me the Eddie Bauer edition has larger wheel wells that allow for the 225/75R16 tires.

Is another salesman living up to my expectations, or should I apologize for telling him he's FOS?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
region 10 airstream b-fst this morn

I just met with a fellow out here who had EB fender trim put in his 2000 excella so 16 inch wheels/tires would clear. Portland, OR based unit. so I guess he is not FOS. pm me for actual contact info.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
ALL dual axle Airstream's - including the 23' which has 14" wheels - have exactly the same size wheel wells. This info is direct from Airstream and has been reported on here several times before. 16" tires will work on all.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I recently upgraded to 16" LTX on my 30S/O, and they appear to clear with plenty of space.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=32438

I was considering a 2012 31' International, and spec'd 40# tanks, solar, oven, dual A/C, and 16" aluminum rims with Michelin LTX. When he gave me the "it's got special oversized wheel wells" line, I figured he wasn't interested in making the sale.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
An Eddie Bauer came in for an outer wheel well molding replacement. It had the standard inner extrusion, and the big honkin' plastic cover over it.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
So there's 3 for "wheel well sizes are the same", and 1 for "wheel well sizes are different".

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe the axle camber or bump-stop locations are different...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"ALL dual axle Airstream's - including the 23' which has 14" wheels - have exactly the same size wheel wells."

Is that true of all model years? I wonder if there may be difference in model years. I upgraded my '99 from 14" wheels to 15", and I've got less than an inch of clearance now. No problem, but I would not want to go larger, given probable suspension movement, etc. It may be that current models have same wheel well sizes .... and if you are upping wheel/tire sizes, don't forget about the spare tire carrier. My 15" spare BARELY fits the carrier - I'm not at all sure a 16" donut would fit. Measure twice, cut once.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote