Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Weight of 1970 27' Overlander

OK, Guys, I need some help. I have offered to help a new Airstreamer order and replace his axles on a 1970 27' Overlander. He has all the paperwork to his trailer stored in a rented storage building. To forgo hunting it, I thought maybe someone here owned one also and could tell me the GVWR?
He would like to go with the Dexter axles, and I want to make sure we order the proper ones.
Thanks,
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
OK, Guys, I need some help. I have offered to help a new Airstreamer order and replace his axles on a 1970 27' Overlander. He has all the paperwork to his trailer stored in a rented storage building. To forgo hunting it, I thought maybe someone here owned one also and could tell me the GVWR?
He would like to go with the Dexter axles, and I want to make sure we order the proper ones.
Thanks,
GVWR-6400 pounds
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Thanks,
I suggest 3000lb axles ( each) for a bit over stock ( 2800lb) replacement. go to 3200lb rated axles if your friend travels heavy. If you go too heavy on the rating, then the ride will be exactly like it was with bad axles before...bouncy and rough. Ask me how I know....
You need to ask Dexter to make you a heavy duty axle ( like their 4500lb and bigger) and downrate the weight rating, in order to get a 6-lug brake drum with 12in brakes.
Their "usual suspect" 3000lb axle has 10in brakes with 5-lug wheel faces.
Also, remember that Dexter does not supply shock mounts. Your old shock mounts will have to be cut off and welded to the new axle's torsion arms. In addition to this, new holes have to be drilled to mount Dexter's bracket to the Airstream axle mounting plate. be sure and supply very exact measurements, which any axle manufacturer will need to make you a proper fitting axle.
For added ground clearance, you can specify 32degree down angle. It will raise the trailer about 1.5in. Don't do this if your friend does not need it.
Otherwise, you will need axact measurements for hub face, and inside mounting bracket. Make sure to specify "cambered"axle, so you get the bend in the middle that aligns the wheels when the trailer is loaded.
Good Luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Terry and Uwe, thank you. The Torflex axles in weights you have quoted, come rated from 2300-3500 lbs. So, I think that will be the one right there. Dexter offers only a 10 inch brake for that axle. If I'm not mistaken, the Overlander came with a 10 inch brake, so it should be a close replacement. She did tell me they could supply a 6 lug with the 10 inch. Now, to figure which angle I need the arms at start. Also,the lady at Dexter told me that if I supplied a pattern for the mounting plate, they could duplicate it for me so that will be the direction we will go. I had not thought of the 'bowed' beam for alignment purposes. I just live about 30 miles from the Dexter facility in Monticello, GA so we won't even have to pay shipping!
Uwe, your incremental sizes were not offered to me as an option, nor was the 'heavy duty' to get the 12 inch brakes. Do you know for a fact this is offered by Dexter? One last thing, the 32 degrees might be a good plan, however, isn't the 'stock' normally about 22?
Thanks again,
jerry
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Steelbird, After removing our original 4000 lb axle on our 67 Globetrotter, we replaced it with a Dexter 6000 lbs axle with 22 degree angle. The trailer rides superbly with a loaded wieght of 4,220, tongue weight of 720. We have added some goodies that increased the trailer's weight from original specs
My 1970 Brochure stated the 27 Overlander International wieghed dry, 4525 lbs, with a hitch weight of 452 lbs. Weigh this Overlander first loaded up, then place your axle order. We learned that Dexter can make you any weight rating you want in 100 lb increments.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Uwe is right-on!

I too would get the de-rated 4500# axle. This can be done but you will have to ask Dexter specifically about it - they typically don't offer it up in conversation. The larger body (4500#) does indeed get you the 655 bolt pattern (pretty much an Airstream standard) and the 12" drum brakes (also pretty much a standard). Additionally, by going this route the axle will much resemble the Airstream supplied product but with a longer life expectation.

Just two cents from a retired Axleman,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Thanks to all for the info and advice. Axleman, after I read a couple of posts last evening, I called Dexter again this morning, and put the things mentioned to the salesperson as direct questions. Sure enough, you guys were correct, so the derated axle #11 is the one; 12x2 brakes a bowed (cambered) axle as well as a promise to exactly duplicate my pattern for attachment plates. As for the angle of the spindle arm at start, I will have to get the owner to decide if he wants it fairly stock, or set up high wher he can pull it behind his 4x4. If it were mine, I would do the 22.5 degree, however, the customer is always right!!!?
Thanks again to all who've helped.
jerry
2013 31" Classic limited
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"