Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Any potential rebuilder would most likely have an evaluation test to determine the usability of axles coming in for rebuild just as an engine or transmission rebuilder would have. The fact that some axles might not pass a rebuild test is no reason to discount the idea as a viable one.
The question becomes, if the axle tube is determined to be history, will the customer pay for the labor that it took to get that information.

Most people, I would think, would say either "no" or your just saying it's bad, when it may not be.

Way, way to much trouble for a large corporation to get involved with.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rubber rods

I wonder how Axis knew what diameter the rubber rods were used, since different axles use different diameters.

Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I was going to send a sample. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That made the rebuild, very libelous, since obviously, the strength of the square tube has been compromised.Andy
Technically, the original axle would need to state to a third party that the rebuilt axle was of substandard character, in writing, for it to be libelous.

Otherwise it would be simple slander.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
"The first report of the fork as an eating utensil dates back to the 11th century, when the Venetian daughter of Byzantine Emperor Constantine Ducas used a small gold one. While forks were widely used by the upper class in Italy during the late Middle Ages, they were not known in England until 1608"

"George Washington Carver (1864-1943), an African-American educator, botanist and scientist from Alabama's Tuskegee Institute, began to promote the peanut as a replacement for the cotton crop which had been destroyed by the boil weevil. By 1903, he developed hundreds of uses for peanuts in recipes. In his 1916 Research Bulletin called How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it for Human Consumption, he has a three recipes for peanut cookies calling for crushed/chopped peanuts as an ingredient."

Google is a wonderful tool.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
All this and not one comment about trailer sway induced by the center of gravity being raised with new 37 degree axles. Hhhmmmmmm... Adios, John
Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
All this and not one comment about trailer sway induced by the center of gravity being raised with new 37 degree axles. Hhhmmmmmm... Adios, John
We supply replacement axles with a 35 degree starting angle.

No one yet, in several years has noticed or found any change in handling be cause of the increase in height.

Those that have taken the time to make a post, have all, without exception, stated that the overall handling improved.

It is also wise to travel with a full water tank, which helps the location of the center of gravity.

Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Technically, the original axle would need to state to a third party that the rebuilt axle was of substandard character, in writing, for it to be libelous.

Otherwise it would be simple slander.
I think you got it right.

If the axle Speaks, it's Slander.

If the axle Writes, it's Libel.

If the axle falls apart, it's had either a mental or physical breakdown. Hard to tell from where I am, tho.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Diesel 1
I think you have made a very wise decision. Now you have piece of mind knowing that those tubes and rubber rods are new.That you have had the brakes apart and know exactly what you are dealing with.
As far as a change in height changing anything ,I cannot feel or see the difference. I never measured before I changed axles but I am confident that I gained at least 4 inches in trailer height .If anything it has improved the ride a 100%.
Although it cost a few more bucks my axles ordered by the serial number fit just as good as the old ones I took out.I was able to pickup my axles at the Henshen factory. Its an amazing place.
I have no doubt you will not have a problem with the axles switch ,I did it with only some lumber ,a floor jack,2 four wheel dollys(furniture) and an impact. It took me 3 hrs to do the switch and I'm 70yrs old.
Good Luck
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We supply replacement axles with a 35 degree starting angle.

No one yet, in several years has noticed or found any change in handling be cause of the increase in height.

Those that have taken the time to make a post, have all, without exception, stated that the overall handling improved.

It is also wise to travel with a full water tank, which helps the location of the center of gravity.

Andy
Thanks Andy for the reply. I am eagerly awaitting my new axles, I hope to attend the 2009 FCU rally with my new axles installed. Adios, John