Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #21
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil View Post
I have a single axle 1964 24' Tradewind. Three year old Dexter axle with 10" electric brakes, Wal-Mart $50.00 brake controller. At 25mph +/-, I can lock up both tires, even loaded for a four day camping trip. I went with Dexter's because I wanted to be able to get replacement parts easily, cost, (I found Henschens to be twice the cost), well known brand, my old and current snowmobile trailers have Dexter axles and when I found out I needed a new axle I had 10 days to get it ordered and installed. I live about an hour north of Elkhart, IN I picked the axle up myself.

Derek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ten inch brakes have a maximum stopping power of 3500 pounds, per axle.

A 64 single axle 24 foot Airstream was originally equipped with a 5000 pound rated axle.

12 inch brakes match that weight rating.

Andy
If he locks the brakes with 3500 pound capacity brakes, how is another 1500 pounds of braking force going to do anything? Locked is locked, isn't it sort of like being a little pregnant?

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
If he locks the brakes with 3500 pound capacity brakes, how is another 1500 pounds of braking force going to do anything? Locked is locked, isn't it sort of like being a little pregnant?
Locked brakes are ineffective.

Proof??

What have so many auto manufacturers installed anti brake locking systems in their cars??

Because it gives you much more control.

Having adequate braking, just short of locking, is the desired result.

Again, decrease the braking power of the 10 inch and 12 inch brakes by 50 percent, due to wear and lack of proper PM.

Now your 10 inch brakes are down to 1750 pounds and the 12 inch brakes are down to 3000 pounds.

Huge difference.

Doesn't say much for the 10 inch brakes, when you make that comparison, which is pretty much the way it is out in the field.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Anyone with 10" brakes on an Overlander (or similar) have this problem, and wish you would have gone with 12" Henschens? Actual stories of failure with #10 Dexter axles might be of more use here than theoretical speculation. So: any horror stories about going from 12" brakes down to 10" brakes, on trailers similar to tandem axle Overlanders?
No horror stories here - 2yrs ? later, and I have no complaints about the effectiveness of my dual axle Dexters with 10" brakes and a Prodigy controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ten inch brakes have a maximum stopping power of 3500 pounds, per axle.

Andy
Even using the figures provided by Andy, I've got more than enough stopping power for my Overlander w/ dry weight of 4250 lbs (400lb hitch weight).
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
My original question was do the axles come as a complete set or does Dexter just price separate pieces?
Back to the question. My Dexter axle was complete when I picked it up. All I did was bolt it in place, checked alignment, hook up the brake wires and mounted the wheels. I think you will be fine with 10" brakes and Dexter axles. A lot of people use that combination. I have talked to a few people that have installed Henschens and most say they did it for the simple fact they were afraid or did not trust themselves to take their own measurements. If your comfortable with a tape measure, save money and get Dexter or another brand, if not spend the extra money and get a Henschens.

Derek
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I will let you know how my new Dexters do. My vacation is coming up and my trailer will be pulled over 900 miles during the vacation. I will pull my 73 Overlander with #10 axels on it. I will take my airstream to the trailer shop to let them check out my wiring on the electic breaks. I don't need to lose my breaks coming down the Tennessee mountains.

Lothlorian
Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Thank-you all for the information regarding comparison of 10" and 12" brakes. I am still unsure, but going to move on for now. I'll address when I'm down to the last minute.
Gary
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote