Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Bearings to hub question

I have recently acquired 4 new (to me) rotors for the 77 sovereign and I wanted to install them on the trailer since my old ones are not up to specs in terms of thickness. The old bearings look okay and feel okay except that one of the rotors has a bent grease seal. My question is whether I should just replace the seal or the bearings/races too and if I do....should I replace them in all four rotors or can I get away with replacing the one and repacking the other 3?
Thanks for your help.
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Standard procedure is to replace bearings, races, and seals, unless the "new" rotors came with the bearings in them. If that is the case, you could get away with repacking the bearings, and replacing the seals, but I would strongly suggest replacing the bearings and races while you are there.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Wayne
I'm with Overlander.Its been my experience with big trucks that U replace bearings,races, and seals. Now these are your bearings and seals and U know what U have and when they were replaced. It will give U peace of mind down the road and maybe save some headaches also.
Best of Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I agree with Overlander and Mike, driving the old outside race out of the rotor could easily chip or damage it and cause the bearing to fail in a short time. Bearings are relatively cheap, especially if purchased at a bearing supply house.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Bearings

Okay fellas,
You have convinced me. I should just bite the bullit and do it right the first time. My initial thinking was that I could save some time if I just repacked the ones already in the rotors. Since I am in the middle of other renovations and I want to have her ready for the Oregon Coast rally in September I am feeling like it is going to be tight. But my gut tells me you are right. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
To be comfortable with using old bearings, you should clean them thoroughly and then oil them lightly. Then put the cone in the race and turn it by hand with some pressure. If it's smooth and quiet you can use it. The problem with inspecting them visually is that you cannot see the inner race which because of its smaller surface area is likely to degrade first. When you regrease, use a grease with the same chemical base, for example lithium. Mixing bases can cause the grease to go runny. AND–don't toss the old out of spec rotors. There ain't no more whence they came so for the next poor slob, old and out of spec is better than none at all.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Related axle Question

Does anyone happen to know what Grease INLAND RV uses on new axles.
I want to be careful to pack the new bearings with the same grease that is on the new axles I am installing. If I can't find out I will have to clean the factory grease off and start over.
Thanks Bill for the warning on the different grease
Old 08-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
By a strange coincidence, I had to repack two new wheel bearings from Henschen last week. This is what I used:Pennzoil
It closely matches what is already there. If you want to go whole-hog, you can get the synthetic version, costs a couple dollars more, same color, stands up to heat and wear better.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If your buying bare axles, they are packed with grease that gets dirty in shipping, wipe all of it off.

Get any good brand of grease, and do everything from the same can.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Bearings/axles

Your right,
Even though they were shipped with plastic boots on them, the grease was full of dirst and dust. I took your advice and wiped it off and started over.
Otherwise I am moderately pleased with the new axles.
I had no trouble installing them on the trailer but I ran into difficulties when I tried to reinstall the calipers.
It turns out the holes drillled in the axle mounting Plate do not match the holes in the caliper bracket. I had to do some modifications that I hope will work out.
I was given the impression by INLand RV that I would have no trouble with the Henschen axles because I thought I was told they were Oem.
As a result, the calipers are not mounted exactly as before and I was forced to drill several new holes in the axles mounting plate.
I bought these axles because of the assurance that they would work without modification. But they do not.
This mod probably does not apply to many trailers since most trailers have electric brakes but those of you that still have the disc brakes need to beware of the changes involved.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Good that it's done.

Drilling a few holes isn't all that bad, people getting Dexter had to have shock mounts welded and reqired some drilling also.

On mine it was a straight bolt up with drum brakes from the old axles.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
It turns out the holes drillled in the axle mounting Plate do not match the holes in the caliper bracket. I had to do some modifications that I hope will work out.
The new axles were probably manufactured to accept the new version of brake caliper, I think they are slightly different than the old ones.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Your right,
Even though they were shipped with plastic boots on them, the grease was full of dirst and dust. I took your advice and wiped it off and started over.
I had no trouble installing them on the trailer but I ran into difficulties when I tried to reinstall the calipers.
I was given the impression by INLand RV that I would have no trouble with the Henschen axles because I thought I was told they were Oem.
As a result, the calipers are not mounted exactly as before and I was forced to drill several new holes in the axles mounting plate.
I bought these axles because of the assurance that they would work without modification. But they do not.
This mod probably does not apply to many trailers since most trailers have electric brakes but those of you that still have the disc brakes need to beware of the changes involved.
The 5 hole brake flange on Henschen axles will accept electric brakes or disc brakes, old or new style doesn't matter.

Can you post a photo of the change that you made?

The caliper mounting bracket has 5 holes, that match the brake flange.

They should fit with "no" problems of any kind.

The calipers "do not" mount to the axle mounting plate.

The axle mounting bracket uses two 5/8 bolts on each side to attach the axle to the axle mounting plate. Those hole locations are the same from 1969 on up.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Your right,
Wayne.

You purchased your axles on May 4th, 2007. We shipped them to you from our stock.

We are here to help you with any problem or problems you may have or have had, with your entire trailer, including your axles, but you never called or e-mailed us to advise of any problem with the axles.

Why you had any problem mounting your caliper brackets to the brake flanges is a mystery.

We double and triple checked the brake flange with the original and new style caliper mounting brackets, and they fit perfectly. No exceptions.

Please give us call so that we can help you resolve this issue.

Andy
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Axles

Andy,
sorry about the confusion. I did not mount the Calipers on the axle mounting plate.. I bolted them to the axle caliper flange just like the parts and repair manual show. However, I did have to drill extra holes in flange to accomodate 1and sometimes 2 bolt holes in the caliper bracket that did not line up with the flange. Trust me, I studied the flange/ bracket for over and hour and turned and flipped it and adjusted every way I could to accomodate all five holes but they all do not line up. Believe I did not want to drill any holes in that thick of steel and knowing how long it would take.
If you look at an old axle flange...it is completely round. The new axles flange has a semi-circular flange with one side cut off straight. There should be bolt hole where that cut off side is.
Granted I have been proven wrong so many times in life that this may be another example, and I wish it were but I don't think so.
When I get home tonight I will post a pic to show you where I had to drill.
Thanks for responding to the post. I have not called because I started working on this late last night and you were already closed for the day.
If I encounter other issues I will be in touch.
Thanks much
Wayne
Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The 5 hole brake flange on Henschen axles will accept electric brakes or disc brakes, old or new style doesn't matter.

Can you post a photo of the change that you made?

The caliper mounting bracket has 5 holes, that match the brake flange.

They should fit with "no" problems of any kind.

The calipers "do not" mount to the axle mounting plate.

The axle mounting bracket uses two 5/8 bolts on each side to attach the axle to the axle mounting plate. Those hole locations are the same from 1969 on up.

Andy

here are some pics of the flange and bracket and the holes in each. you may not be able to tell much but what I have seen is that the holes line up on one side of the trailer but on the other side, the caliper bracket has to be mounted backwards with the caliper posts facing out for the holes to line up. You can't mount the bracket backwards of course so I was left to drill new holes. Does this make any sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream axle flange and rotor bracket 004.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	44124   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream axle flange and rotor bracket 005.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	44125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream axle flange and rotor bracket 006.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	44126  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Okay I'm wrong

Andy,
Don't laugh too hard but you are right about the axle's brake flange fitting the caliber bracket holes. I just realized that if the holes don't line up on one side of the trailer, then try the other side. I can't believe I can be so clueless. One more time.....I am wrong. Man I hate saying that.
Anyway the axles are on the trailer and its all back together.
Thanks for everything.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Some good advice that has been given in this thread. Learned a long time ago the lazyest way to do do something is to do it right the first time, then you don't have to redo it. But if we did that think of the time we would save, and the swear words we might not have learned. BTW, I am dreading this project myself. Never done anything like it before.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Wayne, we all goof occasionally. That was such a basic thing I didn't even think to ask.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
Don't laugh too hard but you are right about the axle's brake flange fitting the caliber bracket holes. I just realized that if the holes don't line up on one side of the trailer, then try the other side. I can't believe I can be so clueless. One more time.....I am wrong. Man I hate saying that.
Anyway the axles are on the trailer and its all back together.
Thanks for everything.
Wayne.

The real trouble in our world will start when pencils no longer have erasers.

We have an 800 number, for our customers convenience, to inquire and ask questions, regardless of the nature.

There are "no" dumb questions, only dumb answers that float about in our society.

Glad everything worked out as we told you it would, when you ordered your axles.

Thanks for the clarification.

Andy