Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
You should not be preloading the bearings
Say what?.....http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...20pre-load.pdf

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I think it's important we're all on the same page here...

Tapered roller bearings - the kind in our trailer wheel hubs - consist of:

1. Tapered roller bearing assembly - cone shaped - called by mechanics, the CONE.

2.. Bearing cup - to accept the CONE assembly - called the CUP.

The CUPs are intended to have a press fit into their part of the assembly - the wheel hub - are aren't meant to move once installed.

The CONEs are intended to slide onto the axle shaft with a close tolerance, and are held in place with the outer wheel bearing pre-load by the nut/washer, etc.

We all know this stuff - let's just get on the same page and call em' CUPs and CONEs...to avoid confusion...

I believe most spinning CUP problems occur due to wear causing the CONEs becoming loose to the point of overheating and distorting the CUPs enough to loosen up, also lack of lube and improper adjustment are probably the chief culprits...

As some have mentioned before...once the CUP becomes loose, it's time to replace the wheel HUB/DRUM! It's just not cost effective to try and fix em' - they're too cheap!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I think it's important we're all on the same page here...

Tapered roller bearings - the kind in our trailer wheel hubs - consist of:

1. Tapered roller bearing assembly - cone shaped - called by mechanics, the CONE.

2.. Bearing cup - to accept the CONE assembly - called the CUP.

The CUPs are intended to have a press fit into their part of the assembly - the wheel hub - are aren't meant to move once installed.

The CONEs are intended to slide onto the axle shaft with a close tolerance, and are held in place with the outer wheel bearing pre-load by the nut/washer, etc.

We all know this stuff - let's just get on the same page and call em' CUPs and CONEs...to avoid confusion...

I believe most spinning CUP problems occur due to wear causing the CONEs becoming loose to the point of overheating and distorting the CUPs enough to loosen up, also lack of lube and improper adjustment are probably the chief culprits...

As some have mentioned before...once the CUP becomes loose, it's time to replace the wheel HUB/DRUM! It's just not cost effective to try and fix em' - they're too cheap!
Thank You....'ya hit the rivet right on the head.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Spinning cups are a no no. Slight rotational movement of the cones on the shafts is unusual but not a problem. There should no color developed on any bearing surfaces. Most tapered roller bearing fail due to improper maintenance. This includes: contamination, improper mixtures of greases, over or under tightening or adjusting the preload, lack of grease, and fatigue life of the bearing materials. Airstream does not recommend preloading the bearings that come on your trailer. In an idea situation some minor preloading can be beneficial but the in the field experience has been that many more failures have occurred due to people not properly controlling the preload and over torquing the bearing, resulting in early failures. Therefore, Airstream has not recommended preloading the bearings. Here is a helpful how to from the Nevada unit.

Maintaining your RV- Wheel Bearing Maintenance