Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Safari Tim, Thanks for answer. I have been speaking with dexter engineering.
My understanding is that #10 axle with option A has 10x2" brakes with 6 bolts on 5.5 center. I would rather have 12x2" brakes as the original but that option is about $150 more per axles than I thought folks in this forum been getting them for. That is why I was asking.
Dexter eng. told me the cutoff derating is 4000 lbs on a #11.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Trying to unravel some confusion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
Thanks LI Pets, I looked at Pizza Chop's order form and he ordered #11 axles downrated to 3600lbs. I would have to cut the frame 8 times to fit these axles in exactly same place and they will not derate to 3200 pounds for me. ... That's why I would appreciate someone who did get close to what I want, to tell me their axle serial number. Dexter say they could look it up and verify my numbers against it.
Hi Bernie:

I have not ordered any Dexter axles and have no experience or Dexter order form to share with you. However, I have read your and others' posts in this thread and offer the following to perhaps alleviate or maybe reduce some of your confusion (which has me confused too).

Dexter Torflex axles come in two sizes you are considering:

#10 covers Torflex axles rated from 2,300 lbs to 3,500 lbs.
#11 covers Torflex axles rated from 4,000 lbs to 6,000 lbs.

Notice there is a 500 pound gap between the 3,500 lb. upper limit of the #10 axle and the 4,000 lb. lower limit of the #11 axle.

You state Pizza Chop purchased #11 axles downrated to 3,600 lbs, which falls within this 500 lb. gap. It seems rational to me that Dexter would downrate their #11 axle to 3,600 lbs. which is above the highest 3,500 lb. rating for their #10 axle. So far, so good.

You seem to be upset that Dexter will not downrate their #11 axle to 3,200 lbs, which is squarely within the range of their #10 axle. If I were Dexter, I would not do that either. Instead, I would think you should be happy with a #10 axle with 3,500 lbs components, including the larger #11 spindle, 6 bolts on 5-1/2' bolt circle diameter hub and 2" x 12" drum brakes you want, and derate the rubber in that axle to the 3,200 lb. rating you want. That should seem to solve your request.

I am confused by your seemingly wanting a #11 axle downrated to 3,200 lbs., clearly within the #10 axle range. I don't think anyone ever said they purchased such an axle from Dexter. Instead, I see people saying they bought a #11 axle downrated to within the 500 lb. gap between the 3,500 lb upper limt of the #10 and the 4,000 lb, lower limit of the #11. I imagine no one is responding to your request for a Dexter invoice number because no one ever ordered what you seem (to me at least) to be seeking.

From what I see, Dexter Engineering has provided you with the answer: a #10 axle with #11 spindles, 12 X 2" drum brakes and 6 on 5-1/2" hubs, all downrated to 3,200 lbs. for $70 more delivered in an extra 2 weeks. But you don't seem happy with their recommendation. I'm wondering why you don't take Dexter Engineering's advice?

I'm intersest in learning why because I'm also looking into buying a new rubber cushion axle this summer and am trying to understand your concerns. Thank you in advance for your anticipated reply.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
yup...

I too have priced out the axles, brand D and brand H, and really, the only place I'd save money is on shipping. This is for the #10 axles with the #11 spindles. Granted, this is for bare axles alone. I don't know the prices with the new brakes.

If one was to use the 10" brakes (as some have done if you look closely at their specs in the posts), then yes, there is good money to be saved.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:21 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

47WeeWind, Thanks for reply. Evidently I didn't make myself clear. I fully agree with you and that is what I intend to do. I never did want a #11 axle rated below 4k lbs because of the minimal amount of rubber that would be left.
My confusion was from reading and listening to many folks who supposedly ordered axles comparable to the originals and paid less and got them within a much shorter time than I have been quoted by Dexter.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my previous communications.
Hopefully my order will be place today and will be for a #10axle/3200lbs/22degree down/12x2"brakes/NEVRLUB bearings and one axle with parking brake option. Hopefully I can get the axle in time for the int. rally in Perry.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #45
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Took a 450 mile trip with the new Henshions the trailer had more up and down movement in my rear view, it had a nice soft & easy bounce.

The only PIA was the hitch had to be setup from scratch, with the increase in height of the trailer I would say in my case 4" the dual cams drop bar all out of wack.

This is the first time I found a need for a second step

Overall the fit was spot on the 35 degrees looks great and makes sense.

THey were a few bucks more, but only a few, my time is money also!

I think my Dyna beads are happier

I don't often agree with Andy , but he is right on with this issue, IMHO.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote