Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
You are correct sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneal
Call Dextar and ask to speak to the their Engineering Department...they will derate their axles.
Kneal is exactly right!

I have posted in detail about this on other threads. The Dexter Engineering Group is great. Always start an Airstream axle project with Engineering. To the typical Dexter axle dealer - the Airstream axle seems like a half-breed. To Dexter Engineering - it seems like - no big deal.

Additionally, Dexter can do a 32 degree torsion arm.

Dexter is the largest provider of torsion axles in the U.S.A. with over 300 dealers nation wide. Dexter is a sound choice for a replacement axle!

Regards,
Henry

Old 05-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Axleman, I did call Engineering and they told me that. I gave the name and phone number I called to someone in this forum who called the same person from engineering and they confirmed what I said. He then called a manager at another location and he said they will derate an axle below the spec. I think Engineering will not but sales or management will. Sound familiar to me.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Dexter will also do a 32.5 angle....
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #32
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I met the Dexter guys at the Sarasota rally they said they could make them no problem, said they would be about $275.

I called to order them got 3 different stories about the 45 degree deal (only option) the tube size, spindle size ( I can't have 6 bolts thats a 5,000lb not 3200 lb........but they wanted now $378 for a bare axle, w/o shock mounts.

Had a dealer friend order them from Andy they look to be a perfect match, just took the old ones off this weekend, they were really easy to remove, if you put a floor jack in the center remove 4 bolts, shocks on one end, brake wires ( I also removed the drums to make it lighter.)
A 2 lb sledge used a little bit and they were down, just rolled them out from under. Removal time for both was < 90 minutes.
Jacking/blocking up the trailer took more time

I tested the old brake drums to confirm fit with bearings etc, looks fine, I won't know 100% till I mount the brake backing plates with the drums.

I didn't put the new ones in yet there is other work I wanted to do with them out of the way. But they will be installed in few days.

I didn't feel comfy with Dexter people knowing exactly what I needed it wasn't worth the possible hassles of returning them or cutting off the old and re welding shock brackets.

Andy was a few $$ more but you can only be frugal to a point.

PS: I got the bare axles because the brakes were rebuilt completely in December. IMO you only need the axles if your brakes are good.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #33
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
After the last post this morning I talked my son into stopping over after work to help me install the axles, I must say it was a piece of cake.

lifted each axle onto a floor jack rolled it underneath pumped it up into the slots in the frame 4 bolts, done.

Repeat

Less than 30 minutes for both, I did use an impact wrench.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

LI PETS, I hope mines will be as easy but doing it alone will surely take longer. Did the old nuts come off easely and did u use new ones?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #35
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
If you mean the 1/2" bolts holding the axle to the frame they were on there good and some rusted.

I used pnuematic air wrenches, if you do it by hand you may want to have a 18-24" breaker bar to get them loose.

Doing it alone I strongly recommend taking off the drums that will be over 100lbs less weight to play with.

Using the floor jack in the center of the axle beam will make life easy and safe.

The nuts holding the brake backing plates I used a 9/16" wratchting box, no room for anything else. Don't use an open end you'll strip them!

Also spray everything 2 days before with penetrating oil

Old 05-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Getting more confused each day on ordering my axles. I am being told that Dexter #10 axles (same size tube as original so it fits without increasing AS frame size hole) is available with 10 inch brakes with 6 bolts to fit my current original wheels.
For 12" brakes on a #10 axles I am told the delivery would add 2 more weeks and cost $70 more per axle.
Dexter recommended I get the serial number of the axles they made for some of you who claims they did get their axles with a #10 (>3500Lbs rating) and 12" brakes under $400? I would like to hear from even other axle dealers as well.
Can anyone help me with this request? I sure would feel safer going to Int rally in GA with new axles.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #37
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
That's a similar run around I got.

Look up Ron user name is "pizza chop" he may help

Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Thanks LI Pets, I looked at Pizza Chop's order form and he ordered #11 axles downrated to 3600lbs. I would have to cut the frame 8 times to fit these axles in exactly same place and they will not derate to 3200 pounds for me.
That's why I would appreciate someone who did get close to what I want, to tell me their axle serial number. Dexter say they could look it up and verify my numbers against it.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

I guess I might as well forget for an answer. I wonder if it's because no one did get a dexter axle close to my spec or they don't want to share the info???
Thanks anyway
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #40
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Dexter engineering is pretty easy to talk with. It would be a good place to start.

They won't de-rate the #11 axles below around 3500# I think. Not sure of the exact cut off but it was above the 3000# rating I wanted.

I ended up going with #10 with their Type A spindle which gave me the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern we need for Airstreams. And this also has the larger brakes. I went with disc.

I don't see why a #11 would be more desirable than a #10. I assume the difference is just the rating you need.

I have not had mine installed yet so ordering them reaches the end of my experience....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Safari Tim, Thanks for answer. I have been speaking with dexter engineering.
My understanding is that #10 axle with option A has 10x2" brakes with 6 bolts on 5.5 center. I would rather have 12x2" brakes as the original but that option is about $150 more per axles than I thought folks in this forum been getting them for. That is why I was asking.
Dexter eng. told me the cutoff derating is 4000 lbs on a #11.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Trying to unravel some confusion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
Thanks LI Pets, I looked at Pizza Chop's order form and he ordered #11 axles downrated to 3600lbs. I would have to cut the frame 8 times to fit these axles in exactly same place and they will not derate to 3200 pounds for me. ... That's why I would appreciate someone who did get close to what I want, to tell me their axle serial number. Dexter say they could look it up and verify my numbers against it.
Hi Bernie:

I have not ordered any Dexter axles and have no experience or Dexter order form to share with you. However, I have read your and others' posts in this thread and offer the following to perhaps alleviate or maybe reduce some of your confusion (which has me confused too).

Dexter Torflex axles come in two sizes you are considering:

#10 covers Torflex axles rated from 2,300 lbs to 3,500 lbs.
#11 covers Torflex axles rated from 4,000 lbs to 6,000 lbs.

Notice there is a 500 pound gap between the 3,500 lb. upper limit of the #10 axle and the 4,000 lb. lower limit of the #11 axle.

You state Pizza Chop purchased #11 axles downrated to 3,600 lbs, which falls within this 500 lb. gap. It seems rational to me that Dexter would downrate their #11 axle to 3,600 lbs. which is above the highest 3,500 lb. rating for their #10 axle. So far, so good.

You seem to be upset that Dexter will not downrate their #11 axle to 3,200 lbs, which is squarely within the range of their #10 axle. If I were Dexter, I would not do that either. Instead, I would think you should be happy with a #10 axle with 3,500 lbs components, including the larger #11 spindle, 6 bolts on 5-1/2' bolt circle diameter hub and 2" x 12" drum brakes you want, and derate the rubber in that axle to the 3,200 lb. rating you want. That should seem to solve your request.

I am confused by your seemingly wanting a #11 axle downrated to 3,200 lbs., clearly within the #10 axle range. I don't think anyone ever said they purchased such an axle from Dexter. Instead, I see people saying they bought a #11 axle downrated to within the 500 lb. gap between the 3,500 lb upper limt of the #10 and the 4,000 lb, lower limit of the #11. I imagine no one is responding to your request for a Dexter invoice number because no one ever ordered what you seem (to me at least) to be seeking.

From what I see, Dexter Engineering has provided you with the answer: a #10 axle with #11 spindles, 12 X 2" drum brakes and 6 on 5-1/2" hubs, all downrated to 3,200 lbs. for $70 more delivered in an extra 2 weeks. But you don't seem happy with their recommendation. I'm wondering why you don't take Dexter Engineering's advice?

I'm intersest in learning why because I'm also looking into buying a new rubber cushion axle this summer and am trying to understand your concerns. Thank you in advance for your anticipated reply.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote