Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Axle questions

I am considering the purchase of a 1968 Tradewind (tandem axles) and based on what I have read here I am going on the assumption that they will require replacement. Does anyone know where I can get the specifications for the axles? The trip home would take me near the factory in Elkhart Ind, does it sound reasonable to by the axles there and have them installed locally? Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated as I have no airstream experience.

Thanks
Rodney
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking From the old axles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Does anyone know where I can get the specifications for the axles?
Thanks
Rodney
Rodney,

There are several key questions that any axle manufacturer will require to build you axles.

They are:
  • Hub face dimension
  • Outside of bracket dimension
  • Mounting bracket height/hole location
  • Lug bolt pattern
  • Brake requirements
  • Capacity

While this list is not complete, it is basic. A short call to an axle shop and a bit of homework on your end should be all that is required to get you set up. Typically the phone call can range from 5-10 minutes.

I hope that this helps,

Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I may be wrong .....

However I believe there is going to be a good possibility that the factory will not have your axle in stock. It is a vendor item and they may be very happy to install it, they will just have to order it first.

There may be other things you want to consider first.

* Bare axles or loaded axles. (Loaded being with new brakes) I believe the price diff with loaded axles to be small and getting everything new makes lots of sense.
* Brake type - do you want to upgrade to disc brakes from drum brakes?
* Load - do you want to slightly increase the load capacity of the axles or leave them stock load?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Oh boy

Where does one find all that information bearing in mind the trailer is 600 miles away? Is there a standard reference for the trailer, or am I looking at crossing that bridge when I get there?

Rodney
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
I may be wrong .....

However I believe there is going to be a good possibility that the factory will not have your axle in stock. It is a vendor item and they may be very happy to install it, they will just have to order it first.

There may be other things you want to consider first.

* Bare axles or loaded axles. (Loaded being with new brakes) I believe the price diff with loaded axles to be small and getting everything new makes lots of sense.
* Brake type - do you want to upgrade to disc brakes from drum brakes?
* Load - do you want to slightly increase the load capacity of the axles or leave them stock load?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Im thinking about replacing the brakes, Id love to do disk breaks but from what I have read here they may be out of my price range.

Rodney
Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If price is a factor (and it usually is) I would wait untill I get it home. Have some one inspect it and determine if the axles do need replacement. And it is 37 years old so replacement may be high on the list.

The axle may be acceptable or marginal, to a point that it is still usable for a period of time.

So my approach would be to have a complete inspection and prioritize the repairs. Example -- If you have replaced the axles and the plumbing does not work, well what's the point? Or you may want to save up or budget the repairs to have a planned repair expense. I know that may sound too logical.

Cause in this type of deal, if you start on one thing it will lead to other issues. Trust me on that!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
So you want to buy an Airstream three states away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Where does one find all that information bearing in mind the trailer is 600 miles away? Is there a standard reference for the trailer, or am I looking at crossing that bridge when I get there?

Rodney
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote