Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Controlling Humidity

We just parked our new Classic 31 at its storage lot, an uncovered warehouse parking lot in South Florida. I set up a sears dehumidifier and after returning in 36 hours I found the storage pan of 22 pints was half full running 6 hours on 6 hours off. I am connected to external electric. What is the best way to control humidity here? What if I dont have an external eleectric hookup? Can the AS be left closed up for weeks at a time? Do I turn on the fantastic fan? It would run down the batteries? Would solar keep them charged enough to run the fan? I know in a boating environment its important to have air movement to prevent mold and mildew. Are new units more humid?
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

We store our trailer in Florida for 8 months each summer, from April to December. It is in a pole barn with open sides. All windows and roof vents are closed. We have three large containers of damp-absorbing crystals in the trailer. These are available from Wal-Mart, amongst other places. One container is purchased for each of the drains in the kitchen, bathroom and shower. Each double container sits directly over the drain. The lower container, which is designed to catch the absorbed water, is pierced several times so that the captured water drips into the drain, where it runs down into the gray tank. The trap below each container has a couple of drops of vegetable oil added, so that the trap water cannot evaporate. The water in the WC also has vegetable oil added. An opened carton of baking soda is left in the refrigerator, with the refrigerator door open, in order to prevent musty smells. All doors and drawers are left partly open. Each drawer and cupboard has an open packet of one of those freebie soap bars from motels to maintain a pleasant odour. (My wife tells me this is a good idea......) . All stored linen and clothing is carefully dried. This effectively prevents any mildew. Bear in mind that if a door or window is opened, or a fan is operated, during the stored period, fresh moist air will enter the trailer.
Nick.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Nick,

Thank you for your reply. We will look into this method as a means to control the humidity.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote