Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
won't turn off!

I went to go turn off the AC this morning and it would not do it....what does anybody think? I worked the switch gently and got no action...wondring whats going on?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Is your AC unit controlled by a thermostat on the wall or a switch on the unit?

If it is the former, I would try turning it off at the static switch. If it is the latter, I would unhook from shore power and see if it will recycle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it is an "on the unit" switch, we had that problem with a Coleman A/C unit. The fix was to replace the switch, but it was not available. What I did was remove the wire lead to the "low fan" position, and use that position to turn off the fan. It worked in that manner until the entire unit failed over a year later.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It's a thermostat box right inside the front door on the wall...where you set the room temp - fan speed etc. It shut off while I was writing a while ago, so we let it rest and then turned it back on. I am not saying it's all right -right now, just that it running for today...but yes it's the three by four and a half sized box on the wall next to the front door.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
It's a thermostat box right inside the front door on the wall...where you set the room temp - fan speed etc. It shut off while I was writing a while ago, so we let it rest and then turned it back on. I am not saying it's all right -right now, just that it running for today...but yes it's the three by four and a half sized box on the wall next to the front door.
Then it's an easy fix that will cost all of $20. Run (or drive) down to your local Home Despot, Lowes, etc, and pick up a digital household thermostat. Replace your old one with the new one, install a AA battery, and enjoy the a/c. You'll also have the advantage of the new thermostat turning the fan off when desired temp is reached. Just note where all the colored wires go on the old thermostat before removing it.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Are they pretty simple to take out and replace? And should I ask specificly for a digital household type...should I bring the old one with me? and will I get electrocuted?