Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
thermostat will not turn on furnace, bypas will

I have a suburban gas furnace which works great( after thoroughly cleaning it), however the thermostat will not turn it on. I purchased a new thermostat thinking it was the problem, but still it does not turn it on. If I use a jumper and connect the two wires it works, just not the through the thermostat. Am I missing something basic here?
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Just a shot in the dark but have you done a continuity check on the wires from the thermostat to the furnace?

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
... and a quick check to see if the thermostat is making contact as well ... are you touching the wires together at the thermostat? If you are and you're getting furnace action, you've found your problem... if not, you've got a break somewhere in between...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You could have a bad thermostat out of the box. It happens.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
suburban furnace

We had a similar problem. We had a bare spot on our furnace wire rubbing on the corner of furnace metal. So, check your wire near your furnace
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
I am touching the wires at the thermostat. If I contact the wires at any location, ie at the wall where the thermostat is located or at the furnace it will fire. It will not fire through the thermostat. I replaced the old one because of this thinking it was the thermostat , purchased a new one from vintage trailer and have the same issue. Any further suggestions?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
follow up on your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
... And a quick check to see if the thermostat is making contact as well ... Are you touching the wires together at the thermostat? If you are and you're getting furnace action, you've found your problem... If not, you've got a break somewhere in between...

i get the furnace to switch when i contact the wire using a jumper at the thermostat or at the furnace . It will not work using the thermostat as a switch. I purchase this at vintage trailer listed as 24v to work on a suburban furnace. Odd thing is the same issue with the original when i reinstalled it. Are you saying its the thermostat, since i can make it work by the jumper? Just need to verify.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How many screws are on the back of the thermostat? Many have more than 2. If you know how to use a VOM, you should identify which 2 screws give you continuity when you turn the Tstat up.
Is it a mechanical thermostat with a mercury bulb? If so, follow the wires attached to the bulb to locate the correct terminals to use
If it is the bi-metal strip type there will be a set of contacts, where each side of the contact is connected to a screw. Connect the furnace wires to these 2 terminals.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
thermostat contact

Thanks for the reply. This thermostat only has tow screws, to connect to and is not a mercury type, so no screw up there. The old original was a coil type as well so I just figured since I could get the furnace to operate by connecting the two wires together then it had to be the thermostat, only even with a new one I have the same issue. How do you check out the thermostat?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Attach an Ohm Meter where the wires connect to the thermostat and move the setting back and forth. When the heater should be on you should see zero Ohms which is a short. When the furnace should be off you should see infinite Ohms which is open.

Make sure that the contacts in the thermostat are closing (touching) when the furnace should be on.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
The thermostat is nothing more than a simple on/off switch. Touch the two wires to it together. If the furnace lights, the problem is the thermostat. If it doesn't, the problem is along the wire line.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
just for kicks reverse the wire positions on the thermostat. it is unlikely that it is the problem on a mechanical thermostat but it is an easy check to do :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Thumbs up thermostat solved

Hey everyone just to let you know I finally figured it out. I used a multi-tester and determined that the stat worked to the central thermo coil , but did not carry to the screw wire connection. Looking closer at the thermostat I noticed that it had a dial with settings on it and a metal pointer, that pointer had to be on one of the settings to make contact and follow to the screw and make the switch complete.

I now need to find the setting its supposed to be on for a Suburban furnace. Have to try and find that out now.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
That is the differential setting. In other words you can adjust it to turn on and off at what temp you choose the differential. Let's say you have it set at 70 degrees, by adjusting the differential you can get it to turn off at 72 and on at 68. Which would be a 4 degree differential. Or +or- 2 degrees.
This is just an example. You don't want the furnace turning on and off in short cycles.
Does that make sense to you?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote