Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Quiet heat

DITTO

But Andy is right, if it dips below 30 the tanks need some heat to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We use the oil-filled heater in our trailer, and it is very quiet. As long as electricity is not a problem, it works well.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
We installed a Pic-a-watt wall heater on our 34' trailer - when installing, you can select the watt rating - the range is from 500 to 1500 watts in 250 watt increments. There is also a Pic-a-watt version with a dial on the front of the heater that selects the wattage based on available power.
Whitelight that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Where did you install it? How did you wire it? Any advice on how best to go about this?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Here's a picture of the installation. This area is to the inside of the wheel well. There used to be a louvered cover where the heater is now.

The heater requires about 4" behind it for clearance. You do need to have open space in front as well, plus they recommend about 3-4" above the floor.

We purchased the heater from Prosupply Buy King Heaters Online!!!
You will also have to buy the single pole thermostat to turn on/regulate the heater.

We connected the heater to a spare 20 amp outlet by wiring a 12/3 electrical cable directly into the heater & then plugging it in.

Two of these heaters were installed on a sailboat that we owned & they gave us years of service. Periodically, we removed the front grille & removed any accumulated "dust bunnies." On the sailboat, the heaters were wired directly into the 120 V panel; each heater hat its own separate circuit breaker.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Picture of install?

For some strange reason, when I went to upload the picture, the "Reply" screen went "blank" - the picture didn't seem to upload!

This picture is located in our personal picture section.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
For some strange reason, when I went to upload the picture, the "Reply" screen went "blank" - the picture didn't seem to upload!

This picture is located in our personal picture section.
If it works, here's your picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96_airstream_living_room_electric_heater_closeup_original.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	102383  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #20

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We use a ceramic space heater and have a Cat Wave 8 for backup.

I'm intrigued with this setup http://www.solarhaven.org/HPArticle.htm
and have it on my "Future Experiments List" which in real life means that I'll probably never get to it.

The concept is interesting but there are obstacles I would need to consider before proceeding.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
IT worked!

Thanks Terry - I've been having issues with Firefox 3.5.9 & Vista.

Anyway, one picture is worth a 1000 words!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
would 3.63 help?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
We use a ceramic space heater and have a Cat Wave 8 for backup.

I'm intrigued with this setup http://www.solarhaven.org/HPArticle.htm
and have it on my "Future Experiments List" which in real life means that I'll probably never get to it.

The concept is interesting but there are obstacles I would need to consider before proceeding.
We have a thread on that here somewhere but the short answer is that the water heater doesn't provide enough BTUs.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
RedOne

1978 Argosy 24
emmett , Idaho
If you prefer to use electric instead of your propane heater, the ceramic oil filled heater from Walmart works great. We block off the exhaust ports on the propane heater, turn off the propane to heater, open the access door and turn on the fan to circulate throughout all compartments. This keeps the bathroom warm and prevents the holding tanks from freezing in extra cold weather.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Put in a NT 30SP in my 72 TW and I was impressed that it is pretty quiet as the unit sits under the sink. It's like you feel the heat coming out of the vents but no blower sound.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Whitelight, everyone,

I started installing a pic-a-watt heater today. I removed the panel below the mirrored closet door. This was problematic because in addition to the screws there were staples holding the panel to the face frame, and these were difficult to remove without damaging the veneer. Once the panel was out, I was able to cut it in my shop and install the heater. I have not reinstalled the panel yet and only have a test plug on the heater since I have not decided what to do about controls.

While I will be among the first to point out the importance of having a trailer capable of boondocking, I expect that this will provide sufficient heat in the substantial number of situations where it is 40 degrees at night and we have shore power, without the noise of the furnace.

Of note, the heater is installed in the compartment where a furnace outlet dips down into the tank area. With careful installation of a pancake fan, the heat loss from the rear of the heater may be sufficient to keep the tanks from freezing. I may experiment at some time with temperature measurements to see.

I will post photos next week.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Hey Jammer,

Yes, the Pic-a-watt is great for those stays in RV parks where the electricity is included. We used it almost exclusively on the 34 last winter while traveling in southern CA, where it was dipping down to the high 30's. It's also convenient when the propane runs out!
We purchased the dial thermostat kit & mounted directly on the heater. This worked well for us.
Looking forward to pics.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I have ordered a 12 volt octal relay and socket which will fit inside the heater can. I haven't quite decided whether to mount an extra thermostat somewhere or just use the one for the furnace with a selector switch. I'll end up powering the heater from the 15 amp circuit that runs most of the outlets in the trailer, since the wires for that go right by. I can power the thermostat from the 12 volt feed for the closet light.