Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Water misters work whenever the sun is shining on the roof. The heat from the sun is removed from the skin as steam which can even be seen with the right back lighting. Turning the misters on results in a 10-15º interior temperature drop within 30 minutes.

If you have hard water the stains left by the minerals in the water look ugly, but from my perspective of an all time hottest summer two years ago the stains were a secondary consideration.
And there's bound to be some mild acid wash one could use in an electric pressure washer to take care of that come October.

It's an impressive temp drop (thanks for posting that info).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Vinegar

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Dunno about any acid treatment because I didn't want to etch the aluminum. Most of the stain is gone now due to what little rain we've had here in Austin, so that makes me think that there's some kind of cleaner which will take it off. A properly prepared trailer might even have some sort of non-stick coating (wax?) applied before the mister was ever turned on to make the subsequent cleanup easier.

The temperature drop inside is dramatic enough to notice. The ceiling and walls stop radiating heat as soon is the water is valved on so it feels cooler in short order.

Shade is still the best overall solution.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Smile

We've been living in our '86 34' LTD in College Station, TX, since mid-Aug last year and have survived quite comfortably with:

1) one new AC 15000 BTU and a fan in rear to circulate cooler air
2) reflectix on all bedroom windows, including rear wrap-around window
3) all awnings out (big awning secured with strap and HEAVY weights against wind)
4) shade trees almost against trailer on east
5) market umbrella to block westerly sun from doorway and front window below big awning (next-door trailer shades rest of ours)
6) as others have said, get a head start on cooling by running AC even early in the morning or all night as heat demands.

Everyone said we would need two AC units to cool this monster, but we didn't want to go to 50 amps, so we took a chance and it has worked fine with just the one unit; we're really enjoying Texas. Good luck!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
We've been living in our '86 34' LTD in College Station, TX, since mid-Aug last year and have survived quite comfortably with:

1) one new AC 15000 BTU and a fan in rear to circulate cooler air
2) reflectix on all bedroom windows, including rear wrap-around window
3) all awnings out (big awning secured with strap and HEAVY weights against wind)
4) shade trees almost against trailer on east
5) market umbrella to block westerly sun from doorway and front window below big awning (next-door trailer shades rest of ours)
6) as others have said, get a head start on cooling by running AC even early in the morning or all night as heat demands.

Everyone said we would need two AC units to cool this monster, but we didn't want to go to 50 amps, so we took a chance and it has worked fine with just the one unit; we're really enjoying Texas. Good luck!

Vivian
Vivian,

Thanx for this! We are full timing in our 74 sovereign just outside Austin. Currently just have our original dometic, two fantastic fans, and reflectix.
Debating on plunking for a new 15k, or going with a portable 12k.............
Leo

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There are threads on the rollaround A/C units (if that is what is being considered) and IIRC, they are not up to the task. Remember that the default for one of these TT's in lengths of 27' and longer is 50A service and two roof units.

No one working the oilfield is comfortable w/o two units (mainly SOB's).

The summer temps here in Corpus are not as high as in Central Texas, but the humidity makes the heat index unbearable. That I am parked in full shade past noon is what makes it possible for me to maintain an acceptable temp with a single 15K unit (and a new MACH 8 Coleman is planned). Were I not planning to move north after another year I would already have sourced the pieces for the amperage upgrade already.

There is, literally, no such thing as too much A/C capacity in the hottest parts of the US. And no cooling at night to ameliorate high daytime temps. 98F at midnight is NOT uncommon in summer. Because this year is not nearly as hot as last year this late in spring . . well, just wait.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Some of us are lucky enough to have the built it water mist feature on our Airstream AC. Turn on the AC and then stand underneath the air distribution box and let the water dripping out of the air distribution housing cool you off.

Kelvin
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
My first AS was a 2008 25' FB Safari with a 13,500 BTU AC. It took one afternoon in Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, TX at 108 degrees to convince me to upgrade to 15,500 unit. I had the work done at North Dallas RV and they did a first class job.

The upgrade coupled with the reflectix covers mentioned in previous posts installed on the windows made a tremendous difference, dropping the inside temp by 15-20 degrees. But even with the upgrade you still need an additional small fan(s) to move the cold air upfront or to the back as the case may be.

I eventually sold the 25' footer and upgraded to 2010 28' Safari with a stock 15,500 BTU AC. It has a rear bedroom with a big window where a headboard would be so I installed reflectix to reduce the heat. I also added a small fan that I clip on the closet door to push the cold air back into the bedroom. The system so far is keeping the inside at a cool 74-76 degrees when it is 104 outside with no shade.

I'm not sure if adding a second 15,500 unit or limitations of a 50 AMP electric system is worth the cost. However the upgrade from a 13,500 to 15,500 in the 25' footer was well worth it.

Stay safe and cool!

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
I just did a weekend at Lake LBJ in my 25' Eddie Bauer. 105 outside/93 inside temperature split at 3:00PM. Ended up closing the retractable curtains to the bath and bedroom which dropped the kitchen area to 85 which was quite nice. Great thread folks. Always like hearing about what works at Black Rock City.

Would love to see some pictures of the foil bubble wrap deployed on your rigs.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
StagrLee

This is a pic of my back window showing the Reflectix installed between the glass and the screen.

You can purchase this at Lowes or Home Depot or almost any hardware store.

Hope this helps you to stay cool!

Shop Reflectix 25-ft x 24-in Reflective Insulation at Lowes.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Window Reflectix.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	191023  

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaken49 View Post
You can purchase this at Lowes or Home Depot or almost any hardware store.

Hope this helps you to stay cool!

Shop Reflectix 25-ft x 24-in Reflective Insulation at Lowes.com
Nicely done. Like the price too. Are you sealing up the fantastic fans, overhead window and vestibule/vista windows?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
What are you using to hold the reflectix material in place?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mansaj View Post
What are you using to hold the reflectix material in place?
Cut a little large and jam in the window. It holed in there under its own.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From my experience with a 27' Safari and a 13.5K air conditioner, you need at least 15K. We were in 103 degree full sun here in Missouri with that trailer and found that the Safari's inside temps came close to 88 inside at the hottest time of the day. After trips to the dealer and Jackson Center that both found no problems with the A/C, we made one change which helped a lot. Our Safari only had a patio awning so we bought a street side awning that covered the entire street side. That seemed to help but we became also a lot more picky about camping locations, trying to find shade in hot weather.

When the opportunity came to buy our Classic, we upgraded at build time from the standard 13.5K unit to a 15K unit. We've never run into cooling problems since that time, although quite honestly if my home base was Texas, I'd probably would have opted to have a second unit in our rear bedroom area.

Based on your geographical locale, I think upgrading to a 15K unit should be a no brainer.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote