Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
NEW Dometic A/C Crapped Out

When I picked up the Eddie Bauer at Colonial Airstream, the unit had an a/c that blew a compressor. Colonial replaced it with a unit off of a new Airstream in stock.

Today I woke up hot - the fan was running but not the compressor. After futzing around with the control panel and reading ALL of the misc. instructions for the Dometic 13500... I couldn't get it going. Why?
because the INSIDE temperature sensor says it's 32 F inside my unit. Not so. More like 88F!
I can get the heat pump to run though.
Called Dometic - voice mail. Paged colonial, No response. All I can think is that I've somehow iced over the compressor. I went to work and will wait several hours to see if the outside unit melts and I can get SOME air going.

Any other thoughts? BTW, How the heck to I get the inside cover off or loose enough to get the model number and serial number?

Paula
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Suspect this is a thermostat problem but I'm no expert.

If the thermostat is telling the a/c that the temp in your trailer is 32F then the compressor will not come on.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Foiled Again -- I can only sympathize with you. We had a new A/C unit installed to replace our 33 year old Dometic and it ran great but, no cold air. You don't fix a new unit; you replace it. So, a new number 2 was installed. So far, so good. A lady down the street came over to chat and asked "What are you crabbing about? I'm on my 4th new unit in two weeks from the dealer in Fort Myers." It would seem that the quality of foreign made Dometic A/C's has gone down. I hope Colonial takes care of you.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Paula,

Try a re-set on your t/stat before you do anything else. It seems that it is not reading the remote temp sensor correctly.

There are directions in the back of your Comfort Control II manual, or PM me for the sequence.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Yup, do what Lewster said - the CCC can lose communication with the outside unit. I'd almost bet money that a reset will make it work again.

If ya ain't got air conditionin', ya ain't cool.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
If your AC is like mine, when I pulled the lower panel off, a bar ran across the bottom that was right in line with the model and serial number are and I could not read it.
Good Luck. Not a good time of year to be without AC.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
paula, myself and others have had tis problem. it sounds like a sweaty communications connevtor. i'll' look up the thread.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
paula, here is the thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-ii-95934.html

the cover has some hidden screws in the slotted cover. i also had to slide out the filters. it is a simple fix if it is your problem.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Lewster - tried reprogramming it, tried turning it off and back on, popped the circuit breaker too, Then set the fantastic fans on and LEFT for a cool office.

Still haven't unpacked my tools, so I'll need to borrow stuff from the office to get the inside cover of the A/C off. I've got the installation manual, etc. but they always seem to assume you can take the cover off the thermostat without breaking it. I'm waiting for sunset, then heading home and will try to find the phone lines and dry them out/reset them.

Thanks for all the help all y'all - good karma to you on this hot, hot day. It's 99% humidity and we had a heavy thunderstorm in the early morning. Wet connectors make sense.

Happy trails, Paula
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
try running on heat for a bit if you can stand it. it will help dry the humidity a bit. i ran mine on just fan and turmed it off at bedtime. by morning it ran ok but it did the same thing the next night when it was humid again.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Re-setting the thermostat (posted by lewster, 9-22-10)
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Just spotted this other thread with similar symptom. Maybe when they were swapping out the A/C unit the cable didn't get fully seated. Sure worth a look.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-ii-95934.html
Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That was was the reset procedure for the CCC-I. I believe that Paula's new unit is the CCC-II/ While the re-set is similar, the buttons are different. Basically, you turn off the t/stat, depress the 'mode' and 'zone' buttons at the same time, then turn the unit back on.

The t/stat should read 'init-1' if it has re-set.

If the unit works as a heat pump, then all of the communication functions are normal. If the t/stat is reading the interior temps at 32ºF instead of the actual ambient temps, it could be a problem with the remote temp sensor, the t/stat itself or the control board in the upper unit of the A/C.

A re-set is the first procedure to try. All of the connectors are probably good if the unit is operating in heat pump mode.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
All Better Now

Richinny - your link pointed out the problem "damp phone cable".

I left the unit all day with the fan running on high - everything else off, and one fantastic fan running exhaust with the other open and sucking air. (Neither are bi-directional YET). When I came home in the evening the inside and outside temps read accurately. I started the unit up with no problems.

I didn't note before that I might have tried to overcool - 70 degrees with outside temp over 95 and rain on and off for days. Humidity was 99% and the drain wasn't dripping but running solidly. When I restarted it I left it at 75 degrees and put the fan on high.

I regularly turn it up to 80 when I'm out. I want to keep it bearable, but don't need to come into an icebox.

Thanks for the help, Paula
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i'm glad it worked out :-)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

" . . I didn't note before that I might have tried to overcool - 70 degrees with outside temp over 95 and rain on and off for days. Humidity was 99% and the drain wasn't dripping but running solidly. When I restarted it I left it at 75 degrees and put the fan on high.

I regularly turn it up to 80 when I'm out. I want to keep it bearable, but don't need to come into an icebox . . . "
Why I run a big dehumidifer constantly. A target of interior 35-45% humidity and temp of 73F in the evenings. Daytime interior temps may reach 77-79F before shade covers the TT in late afternoon. Outside, 90+% humidity and temps of 95F. The dehumidifier runs the electric bill higher, but dry cool air is more easily obtained.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Thank you for helping out another fellow Airstreamer and our customer when we were closed.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Saturday Hours ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Thank you for helping out another fellow Airstreamer and our customer when we were closed.
Is Colonial now closed on Saturdays?
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
We are open Saturdays 9am to 6pm est.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Problem happened again. Now I guess we start the darned warranty process. CRAP.

I did call Colonial and get a suggestion to turn the battery switch to standby as well turning off the circuit breaker. The service department said that Dometic had a fire in it's Texas plant a while back, and quality control has been poor every since. Apparently the closest AUTHORIZED Dometic facility is in Ashland VA - over 100 miles from here. Pain in neck.

I did pull the cover off the thermostat and unplug/replug the phone cable connection to the ceiling unit. Accomplished zero.

Eventually when the fan runs long enough (and the outside temp gets low enough) the thing somehow resets itself and report the inside temp. accurately. Then the air conditioner will run - for a while. I'm about ready to pull the inside cover off the A/C and look for the phone connection in the ceiling unit. If there IS any sign of moisture I'll let you know, but I'm leaning to the inside sensor being defective.

Crap, crap, crap. HOT CRAP Paula