Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Furnace removal??

Hi everyone,
We have now moved on in our restoration process to the removal of the original gas furnace in our 1969 Carvel. The PO siad they never used it, bottom is rusted out and the concern is with carbon fumes. Here's the problem...my husband and I are both stumped at how to get the darn thing out. After removing all visible screws, it appears the intake flue and exhaust pipe are spot welded to the unit as well as to the exterior cover.

Does anyone know anything about removing one of these units, or the exterior cover? I have seen pictures of remodels that turn the space into storage, which is what we are hoping to do.

thanks, krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

There is a long screw in the center of the exhaust port (upper hole) that screws into a bracket in the center of the exhaust tube on the furnace. The outside piece was designed to slip over the exhaust tube of the furnace and there was a fibered "rope" gasket, probably asbestos, that prevented fume leaks back into the trailer. The problem is the screw is rusted in place and you will most likely have to break it to get it loose. The exhaust tube is also probably rusted to the outside flange. It takes some real twisting and wiggling to get them loose, and there usually isn't enough room to get at that joint from inside the trailer. Spray some WD 40 in the exhaust port, let it set a couple days, and try again. If you're not intending to replace the furnace, you will have to patch the exhaust port opening in the trailer skin anyway, so you may have to resort to cutting the aluminum around the vent to get it loose. Not the "purist" way, but a patch is a patch even if it has to be a little larger. By the way, what will you do for heat in the Colorado fall? Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Thanks Darol!

That is great detailed information, exactly what I was hoping someone would know. We'll take another look at it in the am. You're right about the rust, it is prevalent on the outer vent. Good old WD40.

As for replacement heat...we're going to test the heater strip on the Coleman AC unit and see how efficent it is. I'm dubious that it will be enough, and if that's the case, we'll install a new heater in the old space. We restored a 1950 Spartan Manor a few years ago and put in a great little marine heater, so we may use something like taht.

Any suggestions on heaters? (besides just going to AZ for the winter?)
Krista
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Krista,

Your 'heat strip' will only take the chill out of the air on a 'not so cold' morning and is insufficient to provide actual heating. You will need to replace the furnace to get any 'real' heat. I would suggest looking at the Suburban line of RV furnaces. They work well and are very easy to service.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Thanks Lew, I am quickly coming to that conclusion. I'll look into the Suburbans, I don't like cold feet! We have an 18' '69 Caravel, so not too large of a space to heat at least.
Krista
Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
still trying...

hi lew,
i rushed out to the caravel this am to look for the screw, but didn't see anything. I sprayed Liquid Wrench on every rusty surface and area of piep i could reach. Here's a picture of the system, I wonder if it's the same one you're refering to?

thanks so much!
K
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
check into a catalytic heater. These provide tons of heat, and can run on propane only. http://www.uscatalytic.com/uscatalytic/Heaters.cfm

If you're planning on having electric hookups, (you mentioned using the heat strip on the air conditioner, which would require that), those little ceramic heaters that you can get at any hardware store will also adequately heat your trailer. I know folks who have removed their old furnaces for just the reasons you described, and find that the ceramic gives them all the heat they need, and takes up a fraction of the space.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
thanks, i just looked them up and think we could get by with a smaller model.
A good recommendation.
krista