Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
electric wall panel heater

Last year when I was buying a portable electric heater I noticed a few boxes of these items.

Read the description and saw the price - and passed. But, just recently I started wondering about it ... mabye it would be a good alternative to the portable electric heater I use occasionally duirng out FL winters!

The above pictured Econo-Heat is a 400 w (new rating since it was variable btw 400 and 450 suposedly) convection type heater that is wall mounted. It can also be painted to match decor. It's 24" x 24" x 1.5" and weighs 16 lbs. There's fairly mixed reviews - but they're home use (not RV).

They now have a new has a new product on their website called the Envi. It's a 450 w convection heater that is also wall mounted. It is 22" x 19" x 2" and weighs 10 lbs. New product - no reviews/comparisons that I can find other on their website.

Envi Comparison

I'm thinking about mounting one of these wall panels on the side of my kitchen lower cabinets. In place of where the original magazine rack is secured (beneath the flip-up counter extension) and to the left of the entrance door. I also thought I might be able to place one on the backside of the oven compartment that extends into the bedroom area - above the gaucho. However, that seems like it would be positioned too far off the ground. And might be too heavy.

What do ya'll think? I just hate the *aesthetics* of the little portable electric heater - plus my dogs (okay, and me too) knock it around.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Look OK to me...the size is good!
Envi Comparison
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Laura,

I like the fact that it is wall mounted which is convenient and helps clear up floor space.

As for RV service, I think many here use small portable heaters for spot comfort during the winter months that are “Home Use” items. The difference is this one would be hard mounted, so it may or may not see more abuse. At least you and the pups would not be kicking it around.

My personal preference is to use a heater with an LPG energy source. That way my dependency on electricity goes away.

Lose Power = Stay Warm

Run Out of LPG =

We have a Wave-8 mounted to the kitchen cabinet bulkhead.

"Warm" Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Laura, we've had the Eco Heat panel on our sailboat for 2 years now. We use it a lot since we liveaboard.

It is radiant heat, so it warms objects (like us ) and not the air. Ours runs all the time at this time of year. At 400 watts, it doesn't put out as much heat as the ceramic electric heater we also use, but there are times when we just need to take the chill off and it's fine for that. Certainly it's a nicer quality heat than the ceramic heater, but it doesn't replace it.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
My Mom at 80 is always cold..and she has used one of these for 3 or 4 years in the finished basement home theater...the heat pump isn't quite big enuf now that they've finished off the basement, and that little panel puts out a lotta warmth...I've been very impressed with it...
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered the Envi yesterday (last day of discount and free shipping). They won't get their next shipment until Monday, so I'm hoping it will be here in time for my trip at the end of the month. If not, oh well. I'll let ya'll know how it performs.

laura
Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I too prefer the LP powered ones, but this certainly would serve the purpose. I would consider adding one of these as a back up to the LP. I have never run out of LP, keeping 3-4 tanks around probably helps But I have had the power go out plenty of times.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Jumping in here... best advise please for an electric floor heater just to augment the furnace in the evenings etc. Don't want to order anything, just want to go to a local store and purchase a small unit that will work in my A/S to help save propane (I have free electricity at the RV Park) and keep the chill off this winter while full timing and in school.

Thanks for your help.
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I received my Envi heater a couple days ago. Delivered in an efficient manner - packaged well.

Opened and read instructions (really, I did). Found that the box serves as a template for locating the two hangers. Sweet. I tested the unit inside my house first - as I read a couple comments saying it had a strong smell during the first use. Didn't notice... felt warm air waifing out the top.

I looked at placing it in a few places in the trailer. I didn't necessarily want it in the (mid) bedroom because I can use enough blankets to keep warm. My intent was to warm the living area. The first place, on the curbside end of the kitchen cabinets. Though I anticipated having to remove the original magazine basket from the cabinet, I found that I'd also have to remove the fold up-down counter extension to accommodate the heater. Nix. Then I looked at the curbside wall on the other side of the entry door. Realized that it would exit just at the window/curtain area. Probably not the best idea. Plus it would be "close" when setting the gaucho to the bed position. And the closest electrical outlet was a bit far away. Finally settled on securing it to the pantry door in the kitchen. Not exactly as far fwd as I wanted but figure it will heat the kitchen/living area - especially if I pull the bedroom divider closed.

Locating the position for attaching the two hangers was easy with the template. I lucked out and was able to locate it so that the pantry door will still swing full open with the heater secured and it does not interfer with the latch. Sweet. Unfortunately, the 6' cord is about 1-1/2" too short to reach the bedroom outlet. I purchased a short "heater/iron" extension cord. I'll be present while in use anyway. Oh, and it can be removed easily by just pulling/sliding it off the hangers - for non-use or when traveling!

Don't yet know if it will be cool enough on my Thanksgiving trip to use it or not. If I do, I'll report back on its efficiency.

I considered the LP powered ones. But thus far, I haven't boondocked.

Here's a pic of it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00767.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	91144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00770.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	91145  

Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Would one of these keep temps above freezing in New England?

After reading this tread I purchased one of these for use during camping.
Then I was wondering if I ran it in the winter could it keep temps above freezing we are at 15 degrees (F) right now. If so would you think it would cause condensation and mold problems?

Thanks in advance,
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California

This OP's 400(or 450)W unit can only puts out 1360(or 1540)BTUs of heat, although it is nice that it takes up small space and makes no noise.

Keep in mind that your 27FB's furnace gives out 30,000 BTU of heat (well... perhaps somewhat less, considering the inefficiency of the heat exchanger, some heat lost to outside with exhaust...)

I'm camped just outside of Boston this winter.

To heat and keep my interior to 65 F degrees, my ceramic fan heater (1500W ≈ 5100BTU) alone cannot keep up. Even though I run my electric heater 24/7, the propane furnace has to kicks for few minutes about every half hour.

When the weather is below 32 F below and freezing, 1500W electric heater alone is not enough.

BTW, each adult person would put out about 400W of heat. So, any additional person or dog in the trailer would make things warmer...
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
After reading this tread I purchased one of these for use during camping.
Then I was wondering if I ran it in the winter could it keep temps above freezing we are at 15 degrees (F) right now. If so would you think it would cause condensation and mold problems?

Thanks in advance,
I find that electric heaters (and in my case, the heat pump in my Carrier AC) actually dry the air tremendously. Using an electric oil radiator in my Excella, I sometimes put a small saucepan on top if it filled with hot water to add moisture back to the air. When the humidity level inside drops below 30%, I sometimes put it on the cooktop for a while to get the levels up a little. When the humidity is that low, it is not comfortable inside and feels colder than it really is. Desert-like, "It's a dry cold" and all that.

This is with Arkansas' normal high humidity outside. Today, for instance, it is sprinkling outside and the humidity is 91% with a temp of 53. Inside the humidity is 52% and the temp is 72. Due to the high outside temps, heat loss is smaller and the heater is running very little so the air is not drying as much as it would if the heater were working harder. When it gets below freezing i've seen the humidity levels in the low 20%s and occasionally the teens. (Of course, when it gets well below freezing for any length of time, unusual here in AR, I run the furnace so the plumbing and tanks get heat.)

So, in a nutshell, if you are using an electric heater and having condensation and mold problems you have a problem somewhere else.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
No Mold or Condensation...yet

I guess I asked the question incorrectly...

Would running this alone in winter create mold or condensation when the outside temps are in the 20's ???
Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
I guess I asked the question incorrectly...

Would running this alone in winter create mold or condensation when the outside temps are in the 20's ???
No,

Doing something that makes the air even drier does not create mold or condensation.

Back to your first post, I am not sure that one alone would keep all of your plumbing warm when it gets to the 20s and below for long periods of time. Opening the cabinet doors would help. That cold and you would be better off with the heater to protect the pips and tank.

Even with the furnace running, the electric heater would not create mold or condensation.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
That cold and you would be better off with the heater to protect the pips and tank...
Oops, that should have read "protect the pipes..."

Gladys Knight is in charge of the Pips.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Thanks for the help understanding that.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Finally put this Envi to a good test ... camping at 26F it did NOT make a dent in the cold inside. I pulled out my electric ceramic fan heater and placed it on the *dresser*. Much better - for warming the sleeping area itself. Oh well... not the first $100 that I've wasted. Thankfully, those cool nights are few & far between. And, this time, the sun warmed the iniside to a toasty 78F during the day!
Laura
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Confirmed for the second time. Below and near freezing, this Envi is *USELESS* in my trailer. If I ever get the time, it will be listed for sale - somewhere. Maybe just put aside for a garage sale.

At least this was simple to install - and to REMOVE - and with very limited damage (2 screw holes in the pantry door). Sigh...

Laura