Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Hamilton , Montana
Unhappy Condensate coming from Dometic AC

I have condensate coming out of the bottom pan of AC and running down both sides of trailer. Is this supposed to do this or is there a tube or something to carry it away? I do not want to ruin my new paint job! Help!
Montique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
It is normal, You are in a humid climate I am assuming. Just like water dripping from your car when the a/c is on
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure when Airstream started to pipe the condensate through the trailer and out a tube just forward of the driver side wheels. Look there if you see a small drain tube then that is where the condensate is supposed to flow out. If none is coming out there the tube may be clogged. If water is flowing out there and you are still seeing water on the roof take a look at the compressor itself. If the unit is low on gas the compressor may be sweating and that water flowing to the roof.

If you do not have a drain tube then all water will flow across the roof.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm not sure about your year/model, but there is a drainage tube on our Bambi...it exits in front of the street side wheel inside the wheel well. If you have a drainage tube, it could be clogged...with either mold/algae or dirt & debris. If it is clogged, you might be able clear it with pressurized air or good strong suction... We connected a plastic tube to the end of ours and covered the end with a piece of old nylon stocking to keep mud dabbers out...and to direct the draining condensation away from the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Condensation Drain_01_Sm.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	84111   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Condensation Drain_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	84112  

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I just learned something, Didnt even know I had a drain tube... This is the first newer one I have owned. My 73 and 71 didnt have a tube. It just ran down the roof.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I think you probably did have drain tubes in those trailers, as does the Argy in question. They were put into the walls at the factory, just in case anyone wanted to use them; but the actual A/C units were dealer installed options. And if the dealer installed an A/C unit that would take the drain tube, they'd attach it. But many A/C units aren't configured to use one, and they just dump onto the roof. (like my Coleman).
I don't remember the brands that included a drain pan that sat inside the roof, and could be connected to the drain tube, but someone will...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Hamilton , Montana
Argosy drain tube or lack thereof

My Argosy is a '74 26 footer and I repainted and repaired the shroud. When I had the shroud off I kinda remember a hole in the drain pan at the front but did not see a hose or a hole for one in the roof. We live in western Montana near Missoula and usually do not have high humidity. We are having a "heat wave" with temps in the high 90s and I have the AC running so I can work on the inside, clean up and ready for next weekend. Going to our grandson's baseball tournament in Orofino, Idaho where it is lower in elevation and HOTTER! Thanks the Lord the AC is keeping it cool on medium so I still have a notch to go! Our temps are dropping into the 50s at night so can't complain. Thanks to all for the info and as long as there is no harm I'll leave it alone. If I was going to use it for an extended period I would rig up a drain with a removable clear plastic tube that could be ran down over the side of the trailer
Montique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
My AC unit started dripping INSIDE the coach ... so I checked, and found that indeed, there was a drain tube - ending in roadside wheel well - ... tried cleaning it out using the electric drill and weed whacker line trick. Didn't help. Read the installation manual for the AC ... not a WORD about hooking up drain line! Read it again just to make sure. Nope.

Ultimately discovered that if I just keep the filters clean (operator error!) and keep the coach more or less level (more operator error!) it drains out the drain tube that isn't mentioned but in fact is there and is hooked up. I have no idea what difference the filter cleanliness makes, but it seems to make a difference on where the moisture goes.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
My AC unit is dripping inside of my coach too, I just dropped it off at the dealer this morning for them to look at it.

AirsDream - when you mention keeping the filters clean, are you talking about the filters on the bottom of the AC unit inside the trialer? Mine are clean, just not sure why the condensation is dripping inside instead of into a drain tube, perhaps they will find the tube is dirty, etc.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Condensation on the Inside of Trailer

I had a similar problem with condensation dripping off the inside of the A/C ceiling unit (Dometic). Turns out I had a cracked drain pan and condensation made it's way down into the ceiling unit then on to the floor.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by szimmerer View Post
I had a similar problem with condensation dripping off the inside of the A/C ceiling unit (Dometic). Turns out I had a cracked drain pan and condensation made it's way down into the ceiling unit then on to the floor.
Same here, the '05 CCD had a crack in the pan close to where the drain tube connected. Evidently Airstream had seen it prior because there was Sikaflex dobbed around it.

Otherwise, it never sweats enough to drip inside the trailer, even camping on the Gulf coast when the humidity is way high in the summer.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
A few years ago my bedroom A/C surprised us with a wet bed. We were visiting Nebraska in mid-summer and it was steamy hot for several days and we just had to get along w/o the unit. I determined the problem was a damaged drain pan so when I got home I booked it in to the A/S dealer (they are no longer an A/S dealer) and ordered a new pan. $135 labor later I was told they couldn't install the thing since they would have to ruin the A/C since the factory had used Vulcum on the install (not really surprising that they no longer are a dealer).

We were able to use the unit when in the desert with low humidity. Three or four years ago I decided to attempt a repair myself and at the recommendation of a friend who is a veteran R/V tech I bought some stuff that I was able to apply that seems to have taken care of it (sorry, I can't recall what it was, but I think I brushed it on). My trailer has a drain hose to the street side and I blew it out from inside the trailer with compressed air.

Though I'm not acquainted with the Argosy, it would be simple to remove the inside trim & vents and take a look.

Gene