Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
A/C Leaks When It Rains, Does Not Leak Condensation

I need some opinions. I have a 1991 trailer with an original Dometic Duo Therm Penguin air conditioner It also has a heat strip, but that's irrelevant for this discussion. The problem is that I get a significant leak on the floor when it rains but when the AC is running under normal (hot and humid) circumstances, it does not leak and sends the condensation out the drain tube (a tiny amount also trickles down the right side of the trailer. I know that my pan has some small cracks around he perimeter.

This picture shows some cracks on the road side of the pan.

This picture shows the source of the leak during rain (front road side corner of opening marked with red marker).

This picture shows that the condensate is freely flowing during normal operation.

I've ordered a replacement shroud. I'm wondering:
1. Should go ahead and pull the AC and replace the pan?
2. Could it be that I need to buy a new 14" foam gasket (although it appears that the 14" gasket may not be used with the pan)?
3. Should I remove the AC (pull the unit aft and slide it onto a pair of 2X4s and inspect what needs to be done next?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Steve,

A new gasket will not help your issue as the drain does not use one and your A/C unit does not have one either.

In your case, I would get a new gasket and ditch the drain pan entirely.....replacing it with the Dometic Auxiliary drain kit. I have posted many times on the benefits of this set-up. PM me if you need more specific information.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
lewster,
Thanks for the offer of help. I did a search of all of your posts on this subject and reviewed a number of the threads. As always, I still have questions, so I did send a PM.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote