Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Weak oven pilot - was trouble with Magic Chef '79

I took a good look at my oven pilot light this weekend. Removed the oven bottom or steel plate just above the burner for complete access and blew everything out with compressed air, despite nothing looking obviously wrong.

I then lit the oven and top pilots. The LP regulator is only a few years old and so I don't think it is gas pressure related. Starting from cold, the oven pilot burns, but not really strong. Because of this, when you turn on the oven the rush of gas out the burner actually blows out the pilot.

If I manually light the oven burner and get the pilot light going again, after the oven runs just a short time and is shut off, the oven pilot burns nice and strong. At this point the oven would be good to go turning it on and working properly.

In short, lighting the pilot from a cold start, the oven is likely not to fire up on the first try, but once operated would be good to go until the pilots were shut off. Any ideas as to what the probelm is?

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Under the top cover,where the burners are,some units have an adjustment to turn up pilot light,that might help.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You may just not be waiting long enough. It takes gas what seems like a long time to to fully fill the the lines once it's been off a while. We have a separate range and wall oven. I start with the the range by turning on one burner fully and waiting for it to finally light - then light all four. Then shut them off and light the pilot.

With the oven (I'm not telling to do this) once the range is set I kick the oven pilot on and just let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes with the door open - then light it. I always light the pilot well in advance of using the oven. By the time it's used the pilot is full flame and the thermcouple it fully heated.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions so far. On my stove I can adjust the pilot light for the burners, but the oven one has no adjustments.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote