Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Swap stove for convection microwave?

Since we've NEVER used the oven and have wished we had a microwave several times, we're thinking about switching out our 1 piece stove and oven with a convection microwave and 3 burner stove top.

I spoke to our dealer about this and they confirmed that it could be done.

Anyone else do this? Looking for pros & cons.

I'm calling the factory tomorrow to discuss $$$.

Thanks,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Since we've NEVER used the oven and have wished we had a microwave several times, we're thinking about switching out our 1 piece stove and oven with a convection microwave and 3 burner stove top.
Our trailer -'97 25' Safari came with just a microwave and two burner stove top. The previous owner switched it out. We found a convection/microwave combo this weekend on sale at Sears and couldn't pass it up. $179.00 with coupon. We immediately bought tube cookies (chocolate chip dough in a plastic tube) and tried it out. It worked great! It does say it should have a couple more inches of clearance than is available for venting. I think if we cook something for a long period of time, like a roast or chicken, I would just pull it out and set it on the table. It fits the standard oven shelf nicely with a couple inches of clearance on both sides and more in back. Didn't heat up too much for just 12 minutes of cookie baking.
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Hmmm, where to begin.....

1997 25' Safari
Wasilla , Alaska
Rivet

I too put a combination convection/microwave in place of the OEM microwave under the counter. I then made up some nice stainless steel trim pices to finish out the install. As for the ventilation, I installed a small 120 volt fan (4", much like your computer has on the back of it, easy find at Radio shack) in the end of the cabinet by the fold up counter extension. It's plugged into the same outlet as the oven, and has a small on/off switch so we only turn it on when cooking.
FBC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini

I spoke to our dealer about this and they confirmed that it could be done.

Anyone else do this? Looking for pros & cons.

I'm calling the factory tomorrow to discuss $$$.

Thanks,

Dennis
We purchased our 2005 28' CCD in February from the dealer's lot. It had a gas oven in it (no microwave). Based on our previous experiences with microwave/convection oven (we loved it) in our 2004 22' CCD, we definitely wanted one in the 28' CCD. The dealer had to order a conversion kit from AS to modify the space for the convection/microwave. They removed the oven and installed the micro/convec for an additional $500 added to the purchase price. Someone on these forums had negotiated this conversion for no extra cost when they purchased a new 28' unit. We are enjoying the versatility of the M/C and are amazed what we can cook with it! I think you'll enjoy it also!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Clara , Utah
Swap Oven for a micro

Our So Cal dealer can do it and we have an estimate. Their description covered all aspects of the change-out. We live in So. Utah and will get local estimates as well. Big draw back is that you must replace the oven/range combo with a new range and the M/C or micro. Wiring and gas should be no problem as the appliances are end of the line, thoughts?
ByHyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have both but if had to give one up it would be the convection/microwave, and keep the gas oven. That's because we frequently camp without hookups, don't want to monkey around with a generator, and use a basic solar system for electrical needs and propane for cooking and heating.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Our 2013 25FB FC came with the convection microwave.

We do a lot of dry camping, and missed our GAS OVEN. We ordered the cabinetry conversion kit from JC through our dealer(Colonial RV). Colonial provided the model information for a Range/Oven combo, (an Atwood RA-2135) which Airstream normal installs unless the convention/Micro upgrade is ordered. We found a used Atwood RA-2135 at a salvage yard.

Will wait for warmer weather to do the change over. I was told it is a simple change over. Hopefully they are correct. (we plan on keeping the takeouts in case we need to change back in the future.)

Al
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
I anticipate having both in my new to me 30' Classic. If want to get rid of the oven combo, do you know if JC has a conversion to supply the drawers and the slide in oven top for replacement?

Thanks,

>>ron<<
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm switching my 66 Trade Wind from gas stove and oven to cooktop and microwave. We just don't do much cooking while traveling. The microwave is adequate for us. If we were doing a lot of boondocking, I might consider a generator.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
When I ordered my 28' 2012 Intl CCD back in 2011 I ordered it with the Sharp Convection/Microwave. After about 3 trips I discovered my error. No electricity=no oven, and while I don't boondock all that much, I missed the gas oven. SO, I put in the Amana gas oven and dumped the Sharp (which I thought was one of most poorly designed, user unfriendly microwave combos I'd experienced). I really liked the gas oven, and found I had just enough room underneath it for a Cusinart Convection/Microwave. I had both and while I did have to get on the floor to use the microwave, I just about had to do that with the Sharp. I think it really boils down to HOW you prepare food in your trailer. It is funny how some people who have the microwave want the gas oven and vice versa! Maybe we always want what we don't have.... My new trailer will have both, though I confess I have never seen a "Franklin Chef" microwave before. Oh well.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's the Al Franken. Part of the Rocky Mountain High option package. Unlocks for use after 1030 MT on Saturday night for munchies.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntington Beach , California
We are trying to keep our Magic Chef 3-burner stove in our 1963 Silver Streak Sabre and want to restore it rather than replace it with a microwave/convection oven and stove top. I do a lot of cooking, even when trailering so I want a working stove and oven that run on propane.
We camp in national parks that have no hookups, so electric power is an issue. Unfortunately, parts for the Magic Chef model 418 are nearly impossible to find unless we can get our hands on a used stove for parts. Are you getting rid of one of these? If so let me know.
OrquiAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella S/O
Calexico , California
Our trailer came with a stove top only and a convection/microwave. I hate it! I would like to replace it with a regular stove with oven. Would trade with you anytime
gonzire1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
After 4 years of using our oven for storing the toaster and frying pan, I traded our stove with oven for a friends stove top and 3 drawers. Now, she is happy and we are happy. Took only a few minutes to make the physical swap and maybe an hour for me to install the drawer guides in my trailer.

I think we used the oven twice in 4 years. We don't miss it at all.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote