Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Stove

The stove in my '71 Safari doesn't work. The Airstream dealer was unable to get parts. I will reluctantly have to buy a new one. I will hire a local RV repair man (the Airstrem dealer is too far away)but he said it will be a difficult job because he will have to cut the old formica counter and it likely will crack. Has anyone had experience puting in a new stove? I'd be happy with a used one if I could find one. It might not require as much adaptation.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I am sure you could find a used one, but the cost to get it to you may be steep. In the vendors section is contact info for a place called colaws salvage that may have a used model of what you need. Then it would be a simple R&R and no modification necessary.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
They might even have the parts, would be a lot cheaper than shipping the whole stove.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:54 AM   #4
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Thanks for the tips. I'll look for the place suggested in the vendor list. I was told that the oven valves were shot and need to be replaced. One RV repair place said it was against the law to fix old gas stoves because of safety hazards. The only way I can decide what to do is to get a variety of opinions and then compare them. I give more weight to advice through this forum than to those from RV places looking to sell new replacements.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:16 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Even though it is an RV model you may wany to contact an appliance repair shop in your area. A second opinion is usally worth the time and money. Especially before you start cutting into counters.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Let us know what exactly is wrong and we can try to guide you to the proper places.

Which stove brand and model do you have? Look on the manufacturers plate and get the model number off of it.

It is not illegal to repair old gas stoves. What should be illegal is repair people telling you that.

There are a number of parts dealers who specialize in old parts.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:50 PM   #7
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Stove

Someone suggested getting the stove looked at by an applicance repair place and that gave me an idea. I might find a regular apartment size gas range which could fit the space. I've decided I should replace the current stove (instead of trying to find parts for it) as it's very rusty and pitted. At a local appliance dealer I found a gas range that fits the space and costs half of those in RV cats. The only problem was the oven pilot has to stay on all the time and it was set up to be used with natural, not LP, gas. I haven't looked at other brands yet so don't know if this is true of all. Has anyone put in a regular gas range instead of the specialized RV brands? Is it feasible?
Jeanne
Old 07-28-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you find one that will fit, that would work. But is has to be LP, or converted to LP.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 04:32 PM   #9
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
I think getting the gas range converted to LP might not be a big thing but if the oven pilot has to remain on all the time--that could be a problem. Would it be a hazard traveling with the pilot on in the oven? I haven't pulled a trailer in years and forget a lot. Don't we keep the gas reefer on while traveling? Should we turn off the LP tanks while traveling? If so how would that effect the pilot in the oven which is supposed to always be on? What's the thinking on that these days?

JD near Traverse City, MI
Old 07-28-2002, 05:24 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Propane stove

A propane stove pilot is a bit different than a natural gas pilot. The propane stove pilots that I have seen have a sensor like on the water heater that shuts off gas to the pilot depending on a thermocouple. These pilots can be turned off just like the water heater or a RV stove.

It usually requires a kit for $50 or so to change a natural gas appliance to propane. The kit has different orifices and the control.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #11
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Does the converter for propane to LP have the safety feature of the sensor? If not, I guess I'd better buy an rv LP stove.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

is the stove in your trailer a 1 piece or 2 piece?
sudden impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Safety feature

Yes, that is the major part of the kit that changes a natural gas appliance to propane. That is why the kits cost a few dollars. The orifices are trivial cost.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:44 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
The stove in my '71 Safari doesn't work

We are going through the same issue. We just bought a '75 Overlander. The cooktop was shot, although the wall-mounted oven was OK. We opted to replace everything. C&G Trailer Service, in Bellflower, will remodel the cabinets and tambour doors to eccept a new range, he'll put in a new formica counter top, and remodel the "hole" from the wall oven to build in a new microwave oven. It's a chuck of money, but we'll be starting out with virtually a brand new kitchen. It seemed better than trying to find parts for really old and ugly appliances.

Good luck with yours!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:08 PM   #15
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Now I'm having second thoughts. Took another look at the stove and oven which are one piece. If I attack the stove with brillo pads it might shine up. The pitting is just on the cover. The oven is in pretty good shape. Before I settle for a cooktop and a microwave I think I'll go back to square one and try to find replacement valves which the airstream dealer wasn't able to locate. I'll call him and get the part descripions and then post them in case one of you might know of a source. Otherwise I'll just contact some of the part places listed in this website. Too bad most of them have phone numbers but not email. When I call a business I either get put on hold or end up playing phone tag.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Jeanne,
In your search, did you come across a source for a new cooktop? Mine is also very rust pitted.
Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Jeanne, If you keep the old cook top and not the oven, you could go with a convection/microwave. I use my convection/micro often at home, don't have it in the airstream. It bakes really well, won't broil though. Jean
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Stove Top

I took out my stove top that was in ugly shape and sand blasted it. I then painted it with "chrome" colored paint. Doesn't look quite original, but looks 10 times better than it did.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:51 PM   #19
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Smile Stove Solution and New Problem of Furnace

I have a happy ending to the non-functioning stove. I found a used appliance repair shop which had parts for my old Magic Chef stove. It now works and the oven too. I will attack the rust with Brillo pads, making sure I throw the pad away when the soap is depleted else I'll scratch the finish. My next project is getting the furnance fixed. I've received lots of advice saying to take it out as a furnace over 30 years old isn't worth fixing. I found a heating repair fellow who looked at it and said it just needs a new motor. He's looking for a compatible used motor and hopefully, I'll not have to purchase a new one. I had thought I'd settle for a catalytic heater but when I learned that the furnace has ducts which carry heat to the tanks, I decided to stay with the furnace. The catalytic will only heat the interior of the trailer.

Jeanne
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

I've been working on our old stove top which is very pitted and looked for replacement parts for all the stainless steel, but couldn't find any. I looked at a new cover and did not see good reviews on the covers i saw. They were flimsy, etc. At this point, we will use it as is, if it still works, (major plumbing problems to fix first) and then maybe see if someone can do it over like they do old car bumpers. I tried many things on my cover, and nothing removed some of the pitting. I tried NeverDull, many polishers, copper cleaner worked fairly well with a plastic scrunge, but nothing took out the really heavy stuff. I even used a razor knife...that managed to scrape off some of the garbage, and didn't scratch if i was careful. I'm glad you didn't go with the pilot on stove. I have seen scary stuff about driving with propane on, and just too many burnt out trailers. Good luck.

Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanarlene
I have a happy ending to the non-functioning stove. I found a used appliance repair shop which had parts for my old Magic Chef stove. It now works and the oven too. I will attack the rust with Brillo pads, making sure I throw the pad away when the soap is depleted else I'll scratch the finish. My next project is getting the furnance fixed. I've received lots of advice saying to take it out as a furnace over 30 years old isn't worth fixing. I found a heating repair fellow who looked at it and said it just needs a new motor. He's looking for a compatible used motor and hopefully, I'll not have to purchase a new one. I had thought I'd settle for a catalytic heater but when I learned that the furnace has ducts which carry heat to the tanks, I decided to stay with the furnace. The catalytic will only heat the interior of the trailer.

Jeanne
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote