Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We have the convection microwave in our trailer and I so wish I had the gas oven. We are rarely hooked up so I rarely use the microwave.

If you wild camp a lot and like to cook/bake, you will likely be grateful for having a gas oven. If you will be hooked up all the time, the microwave could be fine.

I have found the microwave/convection to work okay. It is small and the oven heating is inconsistent but I can still get it to work for me most of the time.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a great thread with folks who use the gas oven and like it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ven-28619.html

We could not travel without the gas oven, especially in the spring and fall.

Happy Trails!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #23
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
For those who have trouble lighting their gas oven I alway use one of long gadgets that you can use to light a BBQ grill. The automatic lighter has a mind of its own.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I love the gas oven, we are often in parks with no electricity, at which turns the microwave into a storage area. On a cool evening, or a rainy afternoon, backing a cake will warm the cabin a little and fill the whole airstream with a great aroma, and give you hiking snacks - it all depends on your ration of dry camping to electric camping.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'm not sure why the shelf takes up so much space. Do people really sit on this shelf while taking a shower?

Kelvin
Isn't that where the fish water tanks is? And the space it takes up is at the lowest part of the ceiling.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Shelf?
I thought was a seat.
I thought is was there over the wheel/wheel well.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #27
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
For anyone who traded the oven for draws, pull out the top draw, as a drawer, and ensure the copper gas line to the cooktop is not being hit everytime the draw closes.
Don't ask how I know this, y'all.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
We have the Conv/Microwave oven and use it all the time especially on convection. We had the originally supplied Sharp removed ( it was a piece of garbage) and replaced with a Panasonic. My wife is an excellent cook and uses it for baking cakes, muffins banana bread etc. She also uses it for roasting tomatoes and cooking beetroot casseroles. If it won't fit in the oven it goes out on the barbecue, a Weber Q3200, which we also use as an oven. We use Le Creuset pots and cast iron pans on the barbecue. This keeps the heat put of the trailer in warmer climates.
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Convection/microwave is handier for me

Propane refills are a pain and in 25 years of RVing, I have never used the oven. In my last Motor home I removed the stovetop/oven unit and replaced it with just a Propane cooktop. The space saved was used for a convection/microwave which can do baking or broiling for popcorn, pizza or steak. But, installing a microwave that low does require some bending over for seeing the controls, in and out of the food, but mostly a pain when having to clean the interior. Use that lower space for storage and mount the microwave/convection unit at counter or eye height. But campground camping or with a generator the convection/ microwave unit can do so much more. Just look at the control nomenclature for the oven and for the C/M and think about what you might want to cook. Are you going to cook a turkey? I think not.
eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Convection/microwave is handier for me

Propane refills are a pain and in 25 years of RVing, I have never used the oven. In my last Motor home I removed the stovetop/oven unit and replaced it with just a Propane cooktop. The space saved was used for a convection/microwave which can do baking or broiling for popcorn, pizza or steak. But, installing a microwave that low does require some bending over for seeing the controls, in and out of the food, but mostly a pain when having to clean the interior. Use that lower space for storage and mount the microwave/convection unit at counter or eye height. But campground camping or with a generator the convection/ microwave unit can do so much more. Just look at the control nomenclature for the oven and for the C/M and think about what you might want to cook. Are you going to cook a turkey? I think not.
eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote