Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Hi Guys, I'm back. Sorry for the delay.

Thermal mastic. So when the new unit was shipped, the folks included a tube of "thermal mastic". Looks like a tube of Vulkem, same size, color, applies the same. When I called them to ask how to apply it, they simply said cover the coils in it, use the entire tube. Basically, the coils that touch the interior chamber of the fridge and freezer need to be slathered in this stuff. Look at picture number 2 in post five above..........

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Notice how those coils have a (tiny, little bitty) bit of something that looks like calk clinging to them? That's the factory installed thermal mastic. Not enough to transfer any kind of cool air. This stuff is supposed to be there to aid in the transfer of cool to the inside of the fridge and freezer compartment. Doesn't work if it's not present.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Other miscellaneous ramblings. Look back at that same picture. #2 in post 5.

The top four of those coils rest against the back of the freezer chamber, the bottom TWO of those coils rest against the fridge chamber. Now, I'm not an engineer, but I do drink Natty Light on the weekends. Seems to me that one way to increase cooling capacity in the fridge is to increase the number of cooling devices (coils) in the fridge chamber. Again, I'm not an engineer, so there may be other reasons for this. I once read an Obewankanobi article on-line that described all of the exotic gasses mixed with the ammonia that make cooling happen. It's was a magical read, hydrogen falls down one tube, ammonia goes the other way. A small amount of a Noble Gas goes yet another direction and poof! A miracle occurs! Yer beer gets cold! Arrrrgggggg. It's just cold beer, why so complicated?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
One other thing I forgot about. Make sure those screws that go thru the fins (and the matching ones in the freezer) are good and tight against the steel plate mentioned earlier. Once we installed the cooling unit and stood the fridge back up, we began to tighten down on the screws. You could hear the cooling unit being pulled up against the back of the fridge and freezer as we turned the screws. Don't hammer away at it, but "snug them up good."

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
OK Gunner, I'm done. Hope you had a reserve pint of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
OK Gunner, I'm done. Hope you had a reserve pint of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Jim
Jim,
B&Js or not, I'll tip a keg for ya.

I think you are on to the trail,,, we use "thermal grease" on lots of our e-lectronical gizmommeters back when I worked for the "blue krew"... And it sucked that darn heat away and our systems performed "as designed".

I had "counterparts" who I followed on repair actions where the stuff was, ER, forgotten...oops. It killed new parts and caused lots of other inexplicable "errors" before failure.

It is important.

So, if someone has a marginal fridge, this would be one step in ensuring a "properly" setup system.

Do you know the name of the "goop" you used?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Fascinating read.

[QUOTE=the reason for screws in the freezer.

[/QUOTE]
I had a dream about this last night, involved a beautiful meat clerk at a local supermarket. We laughed as we entered the walk in freezer.
Tonights flavor is Coconut Pineapple.

Yup used that heat transfer stuff on some of the lectric/components in them uav's.
maybe you should rename this thread "Reefer Madness"
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Channing, let's hope it's a keg o' Lone Star, maybe with a little Bob Wills music in the background. Yes, we lived in Tejas for many years courtesy of Uncle Sam. Loved it there. Still have many friends there in the Austin area and elsewhere from Houston to San Angelo.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the tube. I have to call the guys back because the wrong mount for the gas burner connection was shipped with the replacement unit. I'll try to get the name of it when I call.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Gunner, we have a saying in Possum Holler. "That boy jes' ain't right." And the follow-up statement is "Hope he don't change none!"

Keep 'em flyin'

Jim

Air No. 6427