Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Dometic enclosure

Are there any pictures or diagrams showing the enclosure and venting system that was built around a 1958-59 four foot tall Dometic? I'd like to put it back generally the same way it was built. All I have now is the empty space next to the door and a small opening in the wall above the flue.

Jim
59 Flying Cloud
61 Bambi
61Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Bambi View Post
Are there any pictures or diagrams showing the enclosure and venting system that was built around a 1958-59 four foot tall Dometic? I'd like to put it back generally the same way it was built. All I have now is the empty space next to the door and a small opening in the wall above the flue.

Jim
59 Flying Cloud
61 Bambi
this must be for the flying Cloud I'm guessing, so here are a few photos I have. I removed my old larger dometic and replaced it with the smaller version. The orginal exhaust vent was pretty basic with the exhaust pipe ending at a small metal hood just above that double hole in the wall shown in photo. This hood and holes vented through the wall, up and out of the roof.

I downsized the enclosure for the smaller refrigerator, and worked with origial heat and exhaust opening and enclosed and sealed it with this modified new enclosure.

I also added a small exhaust fan inside that is available at most rv stores.
You also need a intake vent via exterior wall or floor that has a heavy screen to keep sub tenents out.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 001 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	153075   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix 023.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	153076  

wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Hi, Jim,
Gary's description is just like mine was. I am still using the original 1959 LP reefer, but serious scorching in the wall made me create a new exhaust system!
For intake, I installed some aluminum vents in the low exterior access door behind refer. For exhaust, I put similar venting in wall behind & just above reefer, am still working on interior cover for it. Had to get a vent cover fabricated for outside exhaust to keep rain out, so I copied the style of my original stove vent cover on other side of trailer.
Will try to post some pics soon.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

refrigerator enclousure

Hello Lynne,
I was thinking about what you said about your refrigerator. Mine was rebuilt at sometime recently, and I don't think its going to generate that much heat behind it. The exhaust in mine is very small but I think it will work. Has someone looked at your refrigerator to see if it is working correctly?
The only problem with mine is that I hav't been able to get the thermostat to go into by pass when the freezer gets cold enough. I'm still working on that.

Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
Who overhauled your unit?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roothawg View Post
Who overhauled your unit?
I don't know, I bought it from a fellow out in Calif. He bought it as it was when he sold it to me. Its got new door seals and based on how cold it gets,and new paint on the rear coils I think its been recharged and rebuilt. Its not perfect, the thermostate is suppose to go into a by pass mode when the freezer gets cold enough then the flame drops down real low. i put in a new thermostat and still doesn't lower the flame. It will freeze water in the lower unit. I've just had it running in my back yard. It might work better when its in its enclosure. If not, I might just have to lower the flame manally once a day and/or build a thermal barrier between the freezer and lower part.

Jim