Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
Dometic A/C Quick Start

Has anyone upgraded your Dometic Air Conditioner with a Quick Start controller? I was told today with this addition it is possible to run a 15,000 BTU A/C with a single Honda 2000i.
John Dibble
Safari 28
mysecondjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Could you explain what it is you are trying to do. What do you mean by a "quick start controller"? Is that suppose to run the A/C on less amperage?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This will probably answer some of the questions about this idea.

RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV

What it does is to attempt to give more "boost" to the starting winding in the compressor and do it at a lower current draw. The Honda 2000 is right at it's limit in starting even a 13,500 Btuh AC unit. This may help in some, but not all, cases. I would judge it to be even more difficult with a 15,000 Btuh unit, but I have no personal experiences with either. I just have read that some find it possible to run a 13,500 with the hard start kit in the posted URL.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
On compressors with a current relay (statring device), a capacitor would only help with the initial startup. Still drawing the same startup amperage but for a tenth of a second quicker. The unit would still draw the same amount of running amps. On compressors with a ptc relay (starting device), a capacitor put in parallel with the relay would draw the same starting amps but reduce the running amps by only one amp or less.
On compressors that are not relay start but capacitor start, already use a capacitor for starting, adding that "quick start capacitor" will do nothing.
So if your generator can not handle the A/C unit, buy a bigger generator.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The idea behind this is storing the energy needed to start the compressor in a big capacitor. The capacitor resists an instantaneous change in voltage and the windings of the compressor act an inductor which resists an instantaneous change in current so it looks like a dead short for the first few seconds during start up. A big capacitor will supply the start current so the generator won't have to. I don't see why it won't work on a capacitor start motor. All you are doing is putting in a bigger start capacitor. Run current depends on how well matched the power factor is on the motor. Sometimes this can be improved by tweaking the run capacitor or adding one to a motor that does not have one.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Honda 2000

There are 2 models offered at cal ranch store. One $999 just standard plugs other $1135 with 26.5A round plug. What is difference and will one these babies run 11,000btu air durotherm with heat. Would one of these boost setups get me up and running. I like yamaha 2600 but honda is smaller 2000.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The idea behind this is storing the energy needed to start the compressor in a big capacitor. The capacitor resists an instantaneous change in voltage and the windings of the compressor act an inductor which resists an instantaneous change in current so it looks like a dead short for the first few seconds during start up. A big capacitor will supply the start current so the generator won't have to. I don't see why it won't work on a capacitor start motor. All you are doing is putting in a bigger start capacitor. Run current depends on how well matched the power factor is on the motor. Sometimes this can be improved by tweaking the run capacitor or adding one to a motor that does not have one.

Perry

Going more than 10% larger than the original uf's will shorten the life of the compressor. If this was a home window unit that I can buy for 79.99 at Walmart and replace easy I wouldn't worry. But to replace the one on my camper is another story. I would do everything in my power to make it last as long as possible. ie keep everything clean, try not to run on a voltage drop caused by extension cords, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
It sounds as though my Quick Start (actually the name is a little different) question may have been based on false information - wishfull but false. I will do some more reseach and if if find out anything reliable and usful I will pass it along.
Thank you for your posts.
John
2008 Safari 28'
mysecondjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Has Airstream developed or does anyone know of a solution for getting my LED's to work on my new 2012 Flying Cloud with my Mercedes-Benz 350? I am familiar with the issue and the work around with an in-line bulb or a resister in the light fixture, but i would prefer not to have to pull apart the tail light fixture on my brand new trailer. Is there a plug that you can fit between the tow package socket and the trailer plug?
CO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysecondjoy View Post
Has anyone upgraded your Dometic Air Conditioner with a Quick Start controller? I was told today with this addition it is possible to run a 15,000 BTU A/C with a single Honda 2000i.
John Dibble
Safari 28
John

The other posters are correct that the addition of an oversize starting capacitor will shorten the life of the air conditioner. While it is a useful trick for a technician trying to extend the life of an older air conditioner that would have to be scrapped otherwise, and for situations where there's just not any way to fix the building wiring economically, it isn't something that I would recommend for valuable newer equipment.

A fact to consider is that the ability of the Honda 2000i to start and run an air conditioner will deteriorate under adverse conditions, particularly, high elevations and high temperatures. If you are able to, just barely, start your air conditioner on a fair day in your driveway, it may not work when you need it most.

I would suggest getting a second Honda 2000i and the parallel cable. I know they're heavy and expensive but if you're trying to run the air conditioner with a genny it's the best way.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I hope someone makes this simple

For me even getting one generator there is no room, 2 2000 hondas no way. How much could compressor cost to replace in AC? 1 2000 series honda I like the idea maybe splurge yamaha 2400. None on my planned camping sites have power.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
How much could compressor cost to replace in AC? .
Not sure in an RV, but in you home refrigerator a min of $300. I would think if I had to climb on an RV roof and try not to dent it, which means more setup like some type of platform, I would need to charge more. At that point, how old is the A/C. Is it worth it or should you just replace the whole unit.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
For me even getting one generator there is no room, 2 2000 hondas no way. How much could compressor cost to replace in AC? 1 2000 series honda I like the idea maybe splurge yamaha 2400. None on my planned camping sites have power.
For newer trailers like yours that have a standard 14" mounting hole it is less hassle to replace the entire air conditioner as an assembly, so people do that. For a 15,000 BTU low profile Dometic Penguin you would end up spending right around $1000 installed. If you just replace the compressor you're probably looking around $300 for the compressor itself from a supply place like Grainger, and around $300 for a service call to get a commercial refrigeration technician to come out and replace it. Most RV places won't do it and will insist in replacing the whole thing. If you get a refrigeration technician out you may have to provide roof access for them or at least a great deal of reassurance that they can climb up there without getting sued for making dents.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am sure someone with some electrical engineering background could design something that would work without screwing up the balance of the system. I would think Honda would have a system that could help with inductive loads.

Perry
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
It sounds as though my Quick Start (actually the name is a little different) question may have been based on false information - wishfull but false. I will do some more reseach and if if find out anything reliable and usful I will pass it along.
I asked my father, an electrician, about this idea. His comment was that the design of equipment is based on a current draw and, that information was in the manual as initial current then running current requirements. He added that what you spoke of as "booster" is absolutely correct on generators but not any equipment as you mention that he was aware. I looked up some info on the Hondas then Yamaha generators. It seems that the Yamaha generators come with this "booster capabilty" for initial draws of equipment but not the small Hondas.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A lot of the surge current ratings are a result of having a large heavy flywheel that can absorb some of the current spike with all that momentum. The Honda's don't have much rotating mass to overcome these spikes.

Perry