Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Currently Looking...
Statesboro , Georgia
Tips on refrigerator installation?

I am swapping out a Dometic RM 100 for a RM 2820, and looking for any tips or tricks on the making the process silky smooth. I downloaded a set of instruction on installation, and it seems straight forward. However, I find that almost to good to be true. I'm waiting for the delivery of the fridge, and trying to do a little pregame toruble shooting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1981 Excella Limited 31'
2004 Toyota Tundra
1993 Land Cruiser
1995 Mustang Cobra
borostreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Scott-

Right now all I'm going to do is send out positive waves so that this project goes as smoothly as possible. I will not hinder you or your project with any concerns or negtive comments. I expect to see a post from you in a few days with photos of the instalation complete and trouble free!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I did this last year. So easy a neuroscientist could do it . As I recall, all it involved was running a wire for the ignitor, connecting the propane, pluging in the shore power cord, and attaching the fridge to the deck.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Currently Looking...
Statesboro , Georgia
Neuroscientist, HUH? If it is that easy, I don't know what I'm stressing about.

Think positive, right!
1981 Excella Limited 31'
2004 Toyota Tundra
1993 Land Cruiser
1995 Mustang Cobra
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Physical exterior dimensions may be "off.."

One of the common issues seems to be a few silly millimeters (or eighth's) of difference in exterior height and width. This can creat issues requiring filler strips or router work to make hole inside fit exterior of new box, and make the door panels not look as good as they should... Mostly cosmetic concerns, but Dometic doesn't seem to feel all "medium size refrigerators" need to be the same exerior dimensions...

Good luck with yours...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We're going to have the same project once ours arrives (dead MA52 against a new RM7401). Yep, there's going to be some trim work to do in order to make it look nice: The RM7401 is just a smidgen smaller than the old MA52. I figure I may need to reroute the propane feed a little bit, too, but that's not such a tough job. Potentially most challenging would be to deal with wiring: The RM7401 may (or may not) require a 12v feed. (The MA52 had none such.)

Lynn
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Lots of screw points!!!

I've removed refers in some trailers and MoHo's that had as many at 12 screws holding them down. The # varies with the OEM manufacturer. Just be sure that you put 2 in the back and 2 in the front at the bottom. The instructions should pinpoint the exact recommended locations. A lot of Dometic refers also require screws at the top, usually hidden by the control panel (eyebrow).

If your cabinet is relatively snug on the top and bottom this should not be a problem. I would say a minimum of 6......2 bottom front, 2 bottom rear and 2 top front. More if you feel the need.

Remember, this thing will be bouncing and swaying down the road, and you sure don't want it breaking free and smashing thru the other side of the trailer in an emergency situation! (hoping that you NEVER have one!!!)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Seals

We are getting ready to pull out the 110 V refer that came with our AS and replace it with a RM 2820. In reading the notes there were suggestions about adding a 'combustion seal' to the interior of the trailer. It basically seals the inside of the trailer away from the back of the frig incase of a propane leak.

Anyone heard of this and if so does it come with the frig?
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
We are getting ready to pull out the 110 V refer that came with our AS and replace it with a RM 2820. In reading the notes there were suggestions about adding a 'combustion seal' to the interior of the trailer. It basically seals the inside of the trailer away from the back of the frig incase of a propane leak.

Swanny,
I would think the "combustion seal" would be to keep Carbon Monoxide from getting in the trailer rather than the LP. I have not paid attention to how the newer units are installed. I know the one on mine was not done correctly because when running on LP it would drive the CO detector crazy. When I reinstall it, the bulkhead will be sealed to the walls and the fridge casing to the bulkhead frames, probably with either a tape sealant or a rubber bulb seal of some type. I don't think it will come with the fridge it is probably and added cost item.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, I just worked on sealing the new fridge (RM7401) today. Basically, because the new one is smaller than the old one, I had to do some wood work around the perimeter anyway. However, rather than just wood strips as trim, I cut out somewhat larger strips of foam and glued the wood strips to them. Then pushed the wood strips in around the fridge so that there is a positive seal all around.

Lynn
Old 03-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any type of seal that will provide an air tight fit will work. A lot of OEMs use the dreaded 'silicone' and it just peels right away when the refer is removed the first time.............................worthless!!!

I would suggest butyl tape around the entire inside edge of the refer flange. Be sure that it's continuous so there won't be any leaks. You sure don't want your LP detector to go haywire at 02:30 when you're boondocking somewhere!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:

When I replaced my refer with a RM 2820 I had a gap at the top at the control panel. My AS is an 89 Excella. Since you are replacing a 110 V refer I not sure what mods you may have to make. The RM 2820 that I installed had seals around the edges. I secured 2x4 lumber on the sides and front of the opening and set the refer on to raised my new refer to eliminate the gap at the top. I purchased an additional sealing strip to seal the bottom.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Great Feedback Everyone!

I'll take these to heart when the frig comes in.

I ordered one from Jevin today at Palomino parts and the AS price is $850. When I asked about them being quoted cheaper on our site he stated that was only when they are overstocked

He did ask me to post the new phone numbers. This is his direct line so you don't have to go through the front office.

(269) 432-9791 or 1-800-297-5830

By the way I ordered a Dometic RM 2820 which was at least $1150 anywhere else I looked. The shipping is $125 with Palomino.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I just finished the install on the Ambassador.

I had to build a bulkhead wall to enclose the fridge. I used butyl tape on the back of the wall edge before I secured it in place.

I built a wood frame enclosure for the fridge flange to slide into. The flange has foam strips on it for a seal. I used six screws, on the front two at the top, two at the bottom, then two in the rear.

Another point to consider is to not leave more than an inch open on the rear of the fridge across the top. This would allow heated air to circuilate around the top of the fridge and heat it up. I just blocked off the top of the fridge entirely from the rear.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Tim,

Many of the install manuals show a baffle placed at the top of the fridge to direct the hot air out the upper vent and keep it away from circulating above the fridge. You got it right!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Where to get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim

I had to build a bulkhead wall to enclose the fridge. I used butyl tape on the back of the wall edge before I secured it in place.
Is butyl tape something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #17
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Is butyl tape something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes?
I had better luck with Ace Hardware. They may call it putty tape or mobile home tape. It was near all the caulking tubes.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Currently Looking...
Statesboro , Georgia
Any one have tips on getting my old rm 100 out? I've removed every screw I can find, and the fridge will not move. I' ve tried a pry bar to no avail.
Any suggestions? Help?
1981 Excella Limited 31'
2004 Toyota Tundra
1993 Land Cruiser
1995 Mustang Cobra
Old 03-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I am reading this and I am feeling some anger. Anger at the installer we paid big bucks to put our new fridge in for us. The top of the fridge cabinet in our '77 Overlander gets quite warm. In fact the side cabinet gets quite warm as well. We now have to leave the side and top cabinets open to dissipate the heat that is building up.
I am guessing that we have a bad sealing issue and that I am going to have to pull the fridge and seal the entire thing.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
RM 2820 Install

In the install manual there is no reference to any baffles. It simply says, "Center the coils below the roof vent."

Is this accurate? I was thinking there should be a pipe from the back of the fridge to the roof but when I looked on the back of the fridge there is no exhaust pipe that looks like it should be hooked to anything.

Any tips?