Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2002, 06:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Temps in the Freezer/Frig???

Does anyone know what the temps should be? I have my electric set at '5' and the freezer gets to like 15F and the fridge last I checked to about 50F. Is this about right? I am just wondering, because it sure takes it a long time for the fridge baffles to start getting cool/cold. Is this normal? What is the best way to circulate air in here also? suggestions?
Thanks

Steve
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
This may help found this on the Web.

Cold temperatures help keep harmful bacteria from growing and multiplying. A refrigerator temperature of 40 degrees F or lower will slow bacterialgrowth. Keep your freezer at 0 degrees F or lower. Freezing will stop most bacterial growth so frozen foods keep longer than those at refrigerat temperature. Freezing does not kill bacteria so it is still important to handle food safely.Keep an appliance thermometer in your refrigerator and in your freezer to be sure they stay at these recommended temperatures. You can buya thermometer at a discount, hardware or grocery store.

I use one of the remote reading thermometers. I mount the probe for the outside temp in the box and mount the readout above the box, gives me the temp in the box and in the coach.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

further explanation...

The refer had only been running for approx 4 hours also, I am just not sure how fast they should cool down and what respective temps should be. ie.. if freezer is at 0 F what should the fridge be? See, they might have even gotten colder if I'd let the unit run longer. Not sure, just hoping someone can help with this answer... Andy??

Thanks
Steve
wife & 2 boys
Old 05-01-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
It takes my fridge at least 5 hrs. before I consider it cold enough to store things like milk. I have learned to help it along by placing blue ice and a number of 2 liter (Coke) bottles of water which have been frozen in the fridge ahead of time it seems to hasten the cooling. 4 hours doesn't seem to be too long of a time since it is the freezer which gets cold first. I'm not sure on temp because I haven't purchased termometers yet. Set on 4 and using propane, I have ice cubes in the freezer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Depending on what age your reefer is I think it takes longer to cool the older it is, also if it is'nt broke dont fix it, if it cools but just takes longer I would leave it alone you dont want to make it mad and have to buy a new one. I found a small fan setup you put on the bottom of your fridge that is battery run to circulate the air, I will post it when I find it again.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks.. Okay 4 hours may not be long enough... I will give it more time. I was just wanting to have the unit cold before we left on our trip Friday. Mine has most likely not been serviced in 30 years... I just hope and pray it will continue to work.
I think there was one in a Airstream catalog I had that came with my camper.. Too bad the catalog is nearly twenty years old...
wife & 2 boys
Old 05-02-2002, 06:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
How level are you? You need to be level for the refrigerator to work correctly. What seems like a minor variation can make a HUGE difference in how well your refrigerator and freezer cool.

In fact, you can burn out your refrigerator by running it when you are too far out of level.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:20 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As noted by others you do have to allow some time for your refrigerator to cool down. As a matter of practice I normally start mine up at least 12 hours before I depart.

One other item that I have used for over 20 years is a product called Fridge-Mate. Its a little battery powered fan that you can place inside your refrigerator. It uses 2 D cell batteries and will move the air around to help even out the temperatures within the refrigerator. You can find it at Camping World and most RV dealers who carry a decent amount of supplies. Cost is about $14.
I still use the original one and batteries will last a season.

You are really living well if your refrigerator is 30 yeasrs old and is still functioning. The longest I have had one last was 14 years. Keep it level when in use and cross your fingers. This is not a cheap replacement item.

Jack

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:16 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I bought my 1966 last month and was not very familar on how this type of refer works. While I was doing running gear repairs (so trailer was anything but level) I plugged in the refer to see if it worked. I heard no noise and after about an hour, assumed it was in need of repairs. Since that time I have dropped the unit on it's own tires (it's sort of level) and also discovered there are no moving parts. So I again plugged in the refer and waited for several hours. It got cold so I was pleased.

Now what I hear is that if the refer is perfectly level it may work even better? So is that what the jacks on all 4 corners helps in doing? I have found the jacks dig into the ground, so should I put boards under the jacks to maintain the levelness of the trailer?

I am used to boats. And my boat is never perfectly level. However, the refer is of 12/110volts with a compresser.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
jacks/ stabilizer stands

Action;

The frame should not be used for lifting the trailer. Damage will occur from putting so much stress on the frame. The trailer can only be safely raised at its specific lifting points as stated in the user manual (axle area, some are marked).

If you are refering to the little light aluminum stabilizer stands, these are only meant to be snugged up against your frame to keep the trailer from bouncing around with movement inside. They are not rated for any lifting.

It does not hurt to put a base underneath them to keep them from sinking into the ground, especially if the ground is wet. Also keeps them nice and clean.

If you trailer needs leveling it should be done by using drive on levelers to level at one of the wheels. Then put the stabilizers under the frame to hold it rigid. I have the snap together Lego kind and use 2 of them under my stabilizer stands. Got them at Wal-Mart. They came in a little carrying case.

Best Regards and Trailer Safe;

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 01:59 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
The product is called Lynx Levelers and as noted earlier you set them up on the low side of your trailer and run your wheels up on them. Once you are level from side to side, use the hitch jack to set the level front to back. The ideal is to set a 360 degree bubble level in the freezer compartment bottom. When you get the bubble centered then you are level side to side and front to back.

Once you get your trailer leveled you might consider purchasing and installing a level on the exterior of the trailer. That way you only do the freezer bubble trick once. I bought a Tamarak level which seems to be the one you see most on Airstreams.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-02-2002, 02:12 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for all the great information! My first trip as an RV, I mean an A/S RV owner comes on May 16th and I will be getting levelers and a bubble for the refer.

There is a level on the tongue now. However I do not trust it very much, cause it is mounted in wood between the 2 frame members that make the "A" behind the coupler. And it is a very old level. The glass tubes are loose. So when I replace that level, is that a good location? In front on the frame for the exterior level?

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Good idea to not trust the existing level. Get leveled via the freezer technique. Then look at the existing level on the hitch and see what it says.

Technically once you use the freezer level technique, where ever you place your new level, should also be adjusted to show level and from that point will be your reference point.

For example, I first leveled my trailer using the freezer. Then I mounted my exterior level just below the front window of the trailer. The mounting was done so that the side to side bubble showed level. After the level is secured to the trailer body the front to rear bubble has a screw adjustment that moves it into the level position.

At this point your exterior level shows level on both bubbles and of course the freezer bubble shows level. From now on you can use the external level as your guide to leveling your trailer. No need to consult the freezer anymore.

Again most of the newer A/S's I have seen mount their levels under the front window. Either centered or mounted towards the streetside front (the reason being you can see the side to side bubble from your door mirror). The Tamarak's are big levels but do look good.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2002, 08:28 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The main reason that the Tamarak level is maounted on the front of the trailer is because if properly mounted you can view it from the tow vehicle and see if you are level right to left while parking. The reason that being level with an absorbsion refigerator is so important is because of how it works. The type with a compressor does not need to be level.

In an absobsion refer the ammonia and water mixture is heated and rises to the top ot the heat exchanger, there the gas somehow creates the cooling thru a chemical process. The water drains back down a slightly angled corkscrew of pipe to be collected in the resivior. If you are not level the water cannot drain, this will cause the system to backup and not cool. It can create enough pressure if far enough out of level to damage your cooling unit. Also if you are out of level it will not work as efficently. Left to right is not as important as front to back if your refer if mounted on the curb or road side.

I will be happy to send you a link on rv refers if you want, I need to find it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Steve,

I have a 33 year old AS trailer with the original fridge which works great. I sometime wonder if the older ones last longer?

We set the fridge on electric when we put the trailer in the drive way, usually 2 or 3 days before we leave for a trip. Just before we leave, I light the propane. We keep it on propane for the entire trip, even when in a campground with electric. Once the trailer is home and empty, we turn off the gas and let the fridge defrost, wipe it clean, and leave the door open when stored.

I have not measured the internal temprature, but motivated by this thread plan to do so when we next use the trailer.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 06:34 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Returning from first trip of the season

Well, we're back ...

I found that the gas does not work so great on the fridge, and will probable have it checked at some point. Not sure if it is the flume or some other reason. The LP tank was low... But once we arrived at camp and plugged into shore power, the cooling process did start. Well, at a setting of 5 on electric... the fridge got to 40F. The freezer was somewhere near zero... My unit in my house doesnt work this well... Mark up another one for the foresite of those engineers at Airstream to use these great units. I was satisfied with the operation on this trip, but I will plug in before I go on a trip next time.
I guess now, I will do some work with the TV.
New thread.... Antenna wiring?? accessible?

Steve
wife & 2 boys
Old 05-06-2002, 06:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

leveling delema??

Well, what I have done. I parked my camper and leveled my TT to the level indications in the frezzer compartment. I then set up my Tamarak level on the front. Now its a nobrainer...

Steve
wife & 2 boys
Old 05-06-2002, 08:05 AM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Re: leveling delema??

Quote:
Originally posted by tenrsingr
Well, what I have done. I parked my camper and leveled my TT to the level indications in the frezzer compartment. I then set up my Tamarak level on the front. Now its a nobrainer...

Steve
Great Steve. Sounds like you are getting there step by step. As far as the gas problems, you may have a burner that has a spider web clog. On most RV refrigerators there is an inspection plate that is on the tall round cylinder that houses the burner/heater assembly. If you get that open you can check the burner and see what condition it is in.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-06-2002, 10:05 AM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have seen in the Camping World catalog an exhaust fan for a varity of refer's and one specifically designed for A/S trailers. (side discharge I believe) What is the purpose and is a fan of that type necessary? ~~~~~~~ I am getting ready for my first trip and I am nervous about a refer that has no moving parts. I know it works cause I plugged it in and after 4 or 5 hours the inside coils were cold. Even when the trailer was not completely level. Have not used propane yet. Which is another question. Isn't is dangerous to lite the propane on the refer and travel down the road with it the gas going?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2002, 12:06 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The 12 volt fans that are sold to go in back of the fridge are reccomended to help with the natrual convection of cool air in the bottom, hot air out the top of the refer flue. By installing a booster fan you help to keep more air moving and increase the efficency of the refer. This fan is very important in hot weather as the ambient temp of the outside air may only be a few degrees cooler that the air in the flue. This condition can lead to VERY poor efficency of the cooling unit. Moving additional air thru the flue can keep your beer cold on a very hot day. Also if your refer is on the curb side it helps to put out your awning as it will shade the side of the trailer and help keep the ambient temp lower.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote