Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

This is probably one or the best mods we ever did. The old fan was so noisy we couldn't sleep.
Totally agree.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Very interesting thread. Just came back from 2 nights in my 2015 25RB FC. The fan noise was horrible. I just disconnected the thermistor for the the trip, the plan is to replace the fan and improve the mounting isolation. Last resort will be a thermistor that comes on at a slightly higher temp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have the same model. It makes huge difference on cooling of that fridge compartment if you prop open the upper fridge vent door. It helps a little bit more to prop open lower fridge vent door.

If you park that side of the trailer in shade or away from the sun, or have a street side awning to shade the compartment, then prop open the vent doors, the fan will come on much less, if at all. Also ventilate the inside of the trailer so it does not get hot, and the fridge compartment will stay cooler.
Hi, I didn't know that 25'ers had the fan system, mine doesn't.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I didn't know that 25'ers had the fan system, mine doesn't.
The 2012 - 2015 Rear Bed model introduced in 2012 has the upper door to allow a shallow fridge compartment (more interior space) with a convection /microwave oven over top of it, so the roof vent space is not available.

Actually in use, it is a very convenient setup for the kitchen. However the fan attempts to reroute the natural flow of warm air out the side instead of the top, with so-so success.

We fashioned a prop inside the upper door that we use to hold the upper fridge vent door open whenever camping in hot weather (which we seldom do) so the fan does not run often, if at all. We have a street side awning over it for rain protection. I suppose bugs and bats could find their way in but haven't yet. I am in the market for a better, quieter fan though for when we need it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Fan arrived today Looks like I have a project on for Sat AM
Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Fan arrived today Looks like I have a project on for Sat AM
Have fun. You will find this project very satisfying when you are done
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #146
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Well, we just parked our new A/S in the driveway last night, a 2015 International 23D. An hour or so after emptying the fridge and leaving the fridge door open, we noticed the fan was still running. This does not make any sense! It is mildly noisy inside, but more so outside (on the street side). My first concern was battery draw. I still think something is wrong, and will take to dealer to file a complaint.

But, now I find this thread where users have been complaining about refrigerator fans for over ten years and implementing their own fixes! Yikes! Does Airstream take some perverse pleasure in reading these forum threads? Why can they not devote the same efforts to fan and water pump noise as they do to interior fabric colors? Take a page from customer-oriented Apple.

Sorry for the rant, but this strikes me as rediculous.

Having said that, we do love our cool new trailer, except for three or four disappointing annoyances. And hooray for you wonderful people on the forum!!!

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This was but one of the deciding factors that led us to get a 25FB. In my SOB the fan on the converter would run for long periods of time. Even though it was "quiet" it still drove me crazy, especially at night.

Robert, the 25FC has a microwave above the fridge taking away the space that is used for the vent. They have to vent it out the side like the 23 and thus, the need for the fan.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Was it still hot at the top of the vertical heater tube? That may be why it was still on. Also, we had a bad thermostat that needed to be replaced under warranty... it is a pretty quick check and fix... J
Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
In our case, there was little heat that I noticed, and outside temp was upper 40's. The fan was off the next morning. Will troubleshoot when time allows.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircampr View Post
Well, we just parked our new A/S in the driveway last night, a 2015 International 23D. An hour or so after emptying the fridge and leaving the fridge door open, we noticed the fan was still running. This does not make any sense! It is mildly noisy inside, but more so outside (on the street side). My first concern was battery draw. I still think something is wrong, and will take to dealer to file a complaint.

But, now I find this thread where users have been complaining about refrigerator fans for over ten years and implementing their own fixes! Yikes! Does Airstream take some perverse pleasure in reading these forum threads? Why can they not devote the same efforts to fan and water pump noise as they do to interior fabric colors? Take a page from customer-oriented Apple.

Sorry for the rant, but this strikes me as rediculous.

Having said that, we do love our cool new trailer, except for three or four disappointing annoyances. And hooray for you wonderful people on the forum!!!

Charlie
Airstream tech asked my dealer to install a lighted rocker switch on the wall to the right of the TV on our 2014 23D. It was a simple install. We normally turn it on during the day and off when we're sleeping or watching TV.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Thanks, interstate flyer. Was this a response to a warranty complaint?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does anyone know the proper temp range for the external thermostat that operates the fan? I need to replace mine and can find no numbers on the current thermostat.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircampr View Post
Thanks, interstate flyer. Was this a response to a warranty complaint?
I called AS Tech Support a few weeks after purchase and mentioned that our 2013 International 19 had the switch on the curb side, outdoor socializing side and that we'd like to see the feature on all Airstreams that required fridge fans.

I told Randy that 2014 23D should have the same option to ensure a good night's sleep. He agreed and sent an email to the dealer.

This probably fell more under the catagory "keep the customer happy" than warranty claim.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With warm weather already here in Arizona our fridge compartment fan kicked on the other day and of course it is noisy. I have a little in-line lamp switch going to it but I thought it needs a quiet fan.

So I put this one in its place, seems to move near as much air as the original but you can't hear it inside and it's real, real quiet outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	232650  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Yesterday, I replaced the stock fan on my 2015 FC refridgerator with a Silenx Ixtrema 120 - 11 dba - 46 cfm as a direct replacement. It is very quiet but does not seem to move as much air. Opinions?

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Maybe it doesn't move quite as much air- if that's a problem, add a second fan. Maybe the fan will cycle on more frequently. Anything is worth not having all that noise.

I put a Silenx in mine (don't remember the exact model) and it works fine.

Sometimes when it's very warm out, I'll prop open the top refer vent door- that moves a lot more air.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #157
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coon Rapids , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun View Post
Yesterday, I replaced the stock fan on my 2015 FC refridgerator with a Silenx Ixtrema 120 - 11 dba - 46 cfm as a direct replacement. It is very quiet but does not seem to move as much air. Opinions?
If you look closely at the old fan, it should have the CFM rating on it. I think my OEM fans were 90 or 120 CFM, but I can't remember for sure. I replaced them with 6 Silenex fans.

Your new fan might be enough if you add a sheet-metal baffle to the outside wall of the compartment to force all the air to go through the cooling unit and fins.
BobRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I really doubt there was any real CFM engineering that went into the original fan. I think they just wanted to move some air and put in any old fan that was priced right. So I think any replacement fan is likely to do just fine. Of course the more air you move, the more efficient the cooling will be.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I put two of the silenx fans in my 23fb and it worked well. Just fabricated a new bracket.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
The silenx fans don't move a whole lot of air --- true. I'd keep and eye on things and move to 2 fans if the compartment feels too hot. I used 2 silenx fans, and also reconfigured the air flow as suggested by the original poster -- the intent being to avoid cycling hot air right back into the compartment you are trying to cool. You can see my solution, based on the OP's design, at post no. 85. Might be overkill, definitely more work, but we've had good success.
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote