Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Pics of your vintage fridge???

Hi all,

I had asked this question in another thread the other day, but perhaps the request was lost due to title.

Do any of you vintage people have pictures and/or dimensions of your Krefft, Marvel, Dometic, etc. fridges, especially from the late 50's/early 60's? I would have thought that dimensions may be more similar, but I'm finding that they can be vastly different in my search.

If I can get an idea of they types of fridges that were installed in those years, I'll know better where to search for ones that are for sale. Does anyone know if OH and CA were different in what they typically carried? I ask because I remember being told that the factories used what was available at the time, not necessarily only 1 or 2 brands.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's ours, it's a 1956 Kreft original and it still works!

Not sure of the exact dimensions, but I can measure it if you want. You're right, they are all over the board on sizes.

I've seen them (several different brands) listed on eBay occasionally , but they end up being pretty pricey...and then there is shipping! You may want to check out the "RV graveyards" for one or a nearby Vintage Airstream Club Rally Swap Meet or the AirClassifieds section. Although if it's not found locally, they are very expensive to ship - they are heavy!!!

Alot of folks are also taking an original door off and using it to make a faux-front for a new(er) fridge because it's getting harder & harder to find the oldies that still work. This takes a little bit in ingenuity, but usually is pretty successful. It's what we plan on doing when ours dies someday...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Thanks much!

Thanks Shari!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Krefft! I think that's what was original in our '58 trailer and would love to find one. However, they don't show up very often. I think I've only seen 2 or 3 for sale in the last few years! That includes searching Craigslist all over the country

Ours was a bigger one; our opening is about 40"H x 22"W x 22"D. That's not precise, but about right (I have the exact dimensions at home).

Graveyards are a great place to start, but not too many of them here in WI. I'm willing to drive quite a ways to get one! And working order is not necessary; we're completing an image is all for now.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Check out eBay item #120843777157 in the completed items. It's a real nice Dometic one that went for over $500 in Mesa, AZ. It's nice...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
I actually had that one on my "watch" list! Unfortunately, dimensions didn't quite work. I've also contacted a few other people lately who had Dometics, but they were all too wide and/or too tall.

I haven't seen any Marvel dimensions, so I don't know if they'd work or not. And I want to be careful not to change up the dimensions too much because this is what I want to put it in:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-is-61677.html

Trying to keep this as close to original as possible!!! Not that the restoration is ready to start, but with how hard these things are to find, I'm going to need all the time I can get to find one...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Hi Sheri, I just ran across this ad:

VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations

Hopefully its still available and you get this message!!!! I can't send private messages because Im still considered a new member! XOXOXOXO

Good luck,
Lia
whispersiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Hi Lia,
Thank you SO MUCH for thinking of me when you saw the ad! I actually have seen that ad before and, unfortunately, is not the exact match to our trailer era. We're looking for a white (or pink?) Krefft from '57-59, used on CA trailers. Here's a pic of what we're looking for:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Also, here's the thread of the trailer that needs the fridge:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-is-61677.html

Thanks again Lia, and welcome to the forums!!

Sheri
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Oh oops sorry about that! Got so excited about it being a Krefft forgot about the era!

Good luck with your search!
whispersiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Rensselaer falls , New York
Vintage fridge.

Did you ever find the answers you were looking for? Did you find a fridge? I have a Marvel that matches your dimensions pretty close. It was in an old camper that sat being used for storage for twenty years. Before it was sent away to the scrap yard I rescued the old fridge and stove from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandsky View Post
Hi all,

I had asked this question in another thread the other day, but perhaps the request was lost due to title.

Do any of you vintage people have pictures and/or dimensions of your Krefft, Marvel, Dometic, etc. fridges, especially from the late 50's/early 60's? I would have thought that dimensions may be more similar, but I'm finding that they can be vastly different in my search.

If I can get an idea of they types of fridges that were installed in those years, I'll know better where to search for ones that are for sale. Does anyone know if OH and CA were different in what they typically carried? I ask because I remember being told that the factories used what was available at the time, not necessarily only 1 or 2 brands.
Froggyd_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
This is ours from a '62 Tradewind.

I was thinking of listing it on e-bay...how does one ship something so big and heavy??
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote