Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Periodic clicking noise boondocking with gas

our maiden voyage with 97 Safari we purchased recently and took up to the cool White Mountains in Az. Fridge seemed to work fine but after 3 days would make a clicking noise (relighting?) every few hours. No check light. Normal or a problem? Thanks.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The cycle on a propane refrigerator is very long. The flame stays on for a fairly long time each time it is ignited. Sometimes it takes several "clicks" (sparks) to re light a burner which is off, especially if it is dirty. I had one which would soot up now and then, and when it did that, it had a hard time lighting and would do what you mention yours does. So, not a disaster, or super critical, but I would either clean the burner yourself if you can or are willing to try, or have a shop do the job for you.

The problem will probably get worse as time goes on if nothing is done, and then one day it will not light at all, and your refrigerator will not cool (always when you are far from home on the hottest day of the year).
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My gas water heater sparks the whole time it is on. I think idroba hit the nail on the head.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the fridge is the issue but I am surprised since I've always gone on the assumption that the burner when in gas mode is always on. I'm not sure though that the burner turns on and off on a normal basis. Due to the fat that it takes a while for the coolent to heat enough to boil off, I can't see the flame going completely off once the fridge hits operating temps. What may be happening is the fact as the gas flow is reduced to cause a lower flame, debris in the burner is causing a condition where the flame cannot stay on as the gas flow is reduced which causes a relight condition hence the clicking sound. Check for spider webs in the burner assembly. The fact that the light isn't on is that the relight of the burner is successful. If it wasn't the light would come on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have only heard our frig gas ignitor click (may three or four times, rapidly) when it initially switches from electric to gas...once switched over we never hear it relighting...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Running the fridge on LP for days on end, it never makes a peep. Sure it isn't the hot water having trouble re-lighting?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote