Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lohman , Missouri
Freezer Door Broken

I have a 23D, with a small freezer inside the refrigerator.
After a trip, or now parked for the winter, I always prop open the refrigerator door and put a roll of paper towels in the freezer to hold the freezer door open to air out and dry
I went to close the door, due to company coming and I was going to show the AS off, and the freezer door wouldnt close on its own, it just stayed open. It wont stay closed the door falls back open. Im guessing the spring is sprung.
Is this a easy fix? I assume I will need to buy a new door, hopefully thats all. Is it something I could try to fix, or should I just take to my AS dealer to replace?
Thanks for any input.
51coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
This is an easy fix, but the new spring and clip are hard to find, call domestic and ask them for the part numbers and then punch into Amazon.com. It took me a couple tries before I figured out the configuration, but overall very easy.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
These links explain how door and springs are installed, and will help you figure out what is broken, missing, etc.:

https://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/domet...zer-door-parts

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-p...door-flap.html

After you determine part number(s) needed, Amazon.com, Camping World, or your local RV parts store can probably provide better prices and/or faster delivery.

Note: Look for little plastic parts and springs on the floor. They may be the ones that popped out when the door failed.

Also, if a corner hinge is broken off of the flapper door, it's possible that it can be repaired; and you may not need a new freezer door ($100+).

When ours broke, I solvent-welded several layers of polystyrene plastic (purchased at a hobby shop) to the broken hinge to repair it, and reinforced both hinges with the same material.

Please advise if hinge is broken, and I can provide detailed instructions on how to repair.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lohman , Missouri
I was able to go to a local RV place and order the parts. It wasnt to hard and I was able to fix it myself. Thanks for the advice, just needed reassurance I would be able to figure it out
51coke is offline   Reply With Quote