Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Broken knob on '76 International

In our recent trip to Algonquin, I tried to get the fridge lit, and was unsuccessful (which I put down to not being perfectly level). I know the fridge lit up when we picked it up at CanAm in March, though.

So there I am, following instructions, pushing knobs, pulling knobs, and the knob that determines whether the fridge is on GAS, or OFF, or ELECTRIC broke off.

Will I have to pull the fridge out to pull off the remnants of the knob, or is there an access panel? It was very difficult to turn anyway. The fridge worked fine on electric in the driveway at home, and actually held the coolness well in two days at an unserviced site (the frozen blue bricks helped, there), so I'm pretty happy with it, but it needs to work on propane because I don't want to be tied down to electricity on longer trips.

And where would I get a replacement knob?

-----
Kevin
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Hi Keven
My knobs broke off too on my 74. Old age plastic I guess. I have to open the door on the outside of the trailer that accesses the back of the fridge. There is a little window into a galvanized chimney that you can swing aside and light the fridge flame with a match. You have to make sure the gas line is letting gas through.
First of all, if your knobs inside don't turn the fridge to propane use, you can rotate a white plastic pie shaped thingy inside the access window to the rear of the fridge, that switches the fridge between gas and electric. Then there is a little lever or button on the bottom of the gas line that you have to hold up to let the gas through while lighting. I use a wooden strike any where match to light the flame inside the galvanized chimney through the window after holding up the little lever or button for about 15 seconds.
You might get a real "puck" sound when it lights if more gas is in the chamber than needed, but usually you will hear the hissing sound of the gas burning. I find, with my card board knees, that it is usually better to get a low step stool to sit on while performing this feat. Once the flame is lit, I hold the little button up for about 30 seconds and then let it down. If the flame goes out, let the gas clear and then attempt to relight. I believe there were instructions on a panel inside the door to the back of the fridge.
BTW the flame you get that causes the refrigerant to circulate is not like the flame on your water heater. It is a about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and should be blue in color. It really just looks like a pilot light flame. You should be able to hear it burning.
Once you are back to London, go to Gammons RV Appliance Centre on Hwy 3 just east of St Thomas. They can fix any RV appliance and have resurrected my fridge, stove, AC on a number of occasions. Also they have salvaged fridges, stoves, etc that often provide the necessary bits and pieces. Besides that, he's a very nice guy to deal with.
Any black flies in Algonquin yet?
Sarge
tinhutjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhutjoh View Post
Hi Keven
........ If the flame goes out, let the gas clear and then attempt to relight. I believe there were instructions on a panel inside the door to the back of the fridge.
BTW the flame you get that causes the refrigerant to circulate is not like the flame on your water heater. It is a about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and should be blue in color. It really just looks like a pilot light flame. You should be able to hear it burning.
Once you are back to London, go to Gammons RV Appliance Centre on Hwy 3 just east of St Thomas. They can fix any RV appliance and have resurrected my fridge, stove, AC on a number of occasions. Also they have salvaged fridges, stoves, etc that often provide the necessary bits and pieces. Besides that, he's a very nice guy to deal with.
Any black flies in Algonquin yet?
Sarge
This was really helpful, Sarge. Thanks!

No bugs at all in Algonquin yet. They are making their way north from Picton, I hear. I'd like to see a chart of Algonquin showing what weeks are safe to go, based on black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, etc. I went there once in early June and had to leave after the second night of a three nighter because my kids were being eaten alive, and we were chased into the tent in the middle of a ferociously hot day.
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you able to light the pilot and will it stay lit. On my 73 the fridge would only light from the access compartment. On my 71 (some will say this is not safe) I had to jury rig my pilot to stay open and I cut a access hole to light it in the bulkhead next to the entry door. In this case the pilot and burner are basicly the same part. I find a long handle lighter much easier to light the pilot/ burner than matches.