Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #1

1970 31' Sovereign
denver , Iowa
Question bird nest filling refrigerator exaust

Just bought our first Airstream a 1970 31' land yacht international, very pleased, everything seems to be working with minimal attention. Then I started on the refrigerator. Over the past twenty years a bird or generations of birds have filled the exaust, packed full. before I start removing rivits I hope someone has a better way or the right way. Thanks!

happy airstream owner anyway.
wrengray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Wrengrey,

You might want to get another opinion from an owner closer to your vintage, but both my 75 and 79 have screens under the vent. You can push them out, blow them out, or, I suppose, spray them out with water at a very low angle and not for long. (The part inside projects up above the lower edge of the cover.)

Here we find that squirrels seem to like them in the winter.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrengray
Just bought our first Airstream a 1970 31' land yacht international, very pleased, everything seems to be working with minimal attention. Then I started on the refrigerator. Over the past twenty years a bird or generations of birds have filled the exaust, packed full. before I start removing rivits I hope someone has a better way or the right way. Thanks!

happy airstream owner anyway.
If your fridge flue is blocked AT ALL.....you will have lots of problems getting the unit to cool properly. The best way to get the nest out is to remove the unit from the cabinet, then lay it face down on a piece of plywood and a couple of blankets. Carefully remove the wire attached to the top of the flue and extract the baffle (a twisted piece of sheet metal) from the flue. If this won't come out, work the blockage until it comes out easily. This piece is very important!

Then use a long rod to poke the rest of the blockage up the flue from the burner section (it's a good idea to remove the burner at this point) at then vacuum and blow it out 'till it's clean. Re-assemble, re-install, and be sure to install a SCREEN under the roof vent covering!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #4

1970 31' Sovereign
denver , Iowa
That will work

must get a screen, but there is no screen I could find. Yes I will take the frig out and that will give me access to the impressive nest.

Thank you for your help, wrengray
Old 04-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrengray
must get a screen, but there is no screen I could find. Yes I will take the frig out and that will give me access to the impressive nest.
Your 70 is probable prettty close to my 67. A trip to the hardware store will get you the 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth screen for the lower vent opening.(Keeps out the critters.) And, the aluminum fine mesh screen for the upper vent. (Keeps out the insects.)
Thanks for reminding me that I need new screen for the range hood vent. Mud Dauber wasps plugged everything up last year.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #6

1970 31' Sovereign
denver , Iowa
refrigerator will come out, but how?

I took out a few screws in front. Went around back and found no other screws. Carpet was replaced before we bought it. cant get the thing to wiggle. considered hydrolic jack from behind (O K that was a joke, I think)?

wrengray

what will the nabors say, oh
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #7

1970 31' Sovereign
denver , Iowa
the fridge is out and the nest is gone and the fridge is back in need to test it but that will have to wait.
Thanks to all

the water system is next. YEA!