Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Another Approach to Refrig Fan?

I have read with interest the threads on cooling refrigerator coils. I have just bought a Dometic RM2652 and the vendor advised that I install a vent through the trailer near the top of the new refrigerator so that air will circulate. My trailer is a 1978 31' Excella with a large vent/door at the floor, and no other venting.

I am a long time boater and I wonder what you think of the following? Nicro Marine (sold by West Marine) makes a stainless steel solar powered vent that can be easily installed and removed. The hole is 4" with a 4 & 3/4" cutout; and it can be plugged with a waterproof plug when you are in motion or storage. It moves 800cu. ft/hr and does a great job cooling the interior of a boat. I could install it as the upper vent in suction mode frpom bottom to top. They are VERY quiet, and run all night on a day's solar charge.

I'd rather not cut any holes in my Airstream; but if I must, I'd like for them to be attractive and able to be sealed water-tight.

If I go the muffin fan route, what do you use for an upper vent and how do you seal it?
wvmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

When it's hot , I try to be under trees or in my pole barn, often for weeks at a time, so a "fixed solar panel" powered fan wouldn't suit me, unless the solar panel is separate, and can be placed outside in the sun. (That's what I have.) The usual top vent, which you could get, used, at an RV salvage yard, is like an upturned loaf tin. It can be seen in front of, and slightly at the left end of the AC shroud, at http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...0654_8-med.jpg
The vent is sealed with Vulkem, where it is attached to the skin.
Nick.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmiller
My trailer is a 1978 31' Excella with a large vent/door at the floor, and no other venting.
There is a roof vent. It is the hot dog bun shaped cover that is directly over the top of the inlet. You should not need to add additional venting, fans help, but no additional holes should need to be made in the trailer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote