Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up '64 Dometic Fridge working fine...a relief!

The Dometic fridge in the Bambi II is already out as part of the gutting process. I took it into school to the HVAC/R teacher to see if he could make it do anything. He could get it to fire on propane and run on electric, but he could not get it cold.

So, being in the heart of PA Dutch Amish Country, I found an Amish propane appliance sales/repair place and took the fridge to them. I mentioned that my colleague got it to fire, but could not get it cold. I left them instructions to give me a call (yep...the Amish do use phones, shocking, huh?) when they had an estimate of whether the fridge would be a lost cause or repairable and what it would take to get it working. He said that the repair could run 1/2 the cost of a new one.

Well- they called today and said that after basic cleaning of the mechanical systems, she fired up and got COLD! Thirty degrees in the main cabinet and 10 degrees and less in the freezer! I wanted to go with the vintage refrigerator, but only if we could get it working for not a lot of money. He said that if there was a refrigerant leak, it would not get cold at all, so I guess the system is in good shape.

Total cost to get to this point...$35. I will go an pick it up on Saturday. I am pretty excited!

How many of you are using vintage appliances without trouble?