Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

1976 Argosy 24
madeira beach , Florida
1976 Argosy 24' - Dometic Refrigerator issue

We recently purchased a 1976 Argosy 24' - it has the original Dometic refrigerator / freezer. On our last trip we noticed the freezer would freeze but the refrigerator section maybe got to 55 degrees at the max cool setting.

Any suggestions on what to troubleshoot prior to looking at a replacement?

Thanks in advance!
NAM_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
When you say the freezer section would freeze, was it barely 32F? Or was it down in single digits?

Check the exterior refrigerator compartment to make sure the air intake through the floor is unobstructed. Make sure the heat exchanger is relatively clean and that the upper vent is not obstructed.

What temperatures were you camping in, were you running on gas or electric and how long did you give it to cool down? They're VERY slow to cool, and seem to work better if there's some thermal mass in the freezer section. If I don't have frozen food, I put a few bottles of frozen water (that I freeze in the house fridge first) in the freezer and that seems to get it to the point where the refrigerator gets down to useful temperatures.

I was skeptical about the little battery-driven fans Camping World and other camping places sell to circulate air inside the refrigerator, but I find that it helps it get the box down to temperature a little quicker and makes the temperature MUCH more uniform inside.

Last weekend with highs pushing 90 I was maintaining about 35F in the refrigerator compartment in my 1975 refrigerator on electric power on setting 6. It just barely held 40 driving home with the sun hitting that side of the trailer most of the way at 90 degrees, on gas setting 7. I should've chilled it lower before leaving and set it on max, but it was just barely good enough.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote