Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Wave if you see us..

We are at Bismark Lake Campground this evening.. NFS site sort of in Custer State Park. Pricey at $26 a night.

Tomorrow we are going to try and hit a cave and then onto Casper. Tetons and Yellowstone later in the week. Just now looking at spots to stay. We like to fly by the seat of our pants.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah
Wave if you see us..

We are at Bismark Lake Campground this evening.. NFS site sort of in Custer State Park. Pricey at $26 a night.

Tomorrow we are going to try and hit a cave and then onto Casper. Tetons and Yellowstone later in the week. Just now looking at spots to stay. We like to fly by the seat of our pants.
lLink below is probably where we should have stayed in Yellowstone, but we arrived late and needed to get a reservation ahead (3days prior). http://www.parkcamper.com/Yellowston...Campground.htm
We were at Center Lake, super crowded, but central. Signal Mt for sure at Tetons. Both places are 1st come, get there by 9 or 10a. We are nearly always seat of the pants and spent last night at Walmart outside of Salt Lake city in Ogden as everything was full and what wasn't was a poor value. Another great night's sleep I must say.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Here is what I don't understand about Yellowstone. They could have a Great rv park in the woods with electric and water but don't. With say 200-300 sites. But no, They have a great big parking lot with you stacked in like cans. Or you have smaller camp grounds with no hook ups what so ever??? Which I don't mind, but are of on the outskirts.

Who is in charge of this place? Oh that's right. The Feds.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
Here is what I don't understand about Yellowstone. They could have a Great rv park in the woods with electric and water but don't. With say 200-300 sites. But no, They have a great big parking lot with you stacked in like cans. Or you have smaller camp grounds with no hook ups what so ever??? Which I don't mind, but are of on the outskirts.

YEP, like everything they manage. Too bad, it doesn't represent us well for the millions of foreigners at the park, most of whom were there with us last week.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. One of these years we plan to go back out West and if I can locate this thread again, this information will prove invaluable! We Easterners just don't have all the knowledge that those of you who are from out there or have been out there before have. Thanks again. (My DH isn't due to retire for another five years or so, but we're hoping we can fanagle to get a three-week vacation before that, but that's difficult to do, normally just two weeks at a time is the most he can take off.)

The last time we camped "out West" was in 1990 back when we first got into camping and had a pop-up tent camper. Our children are adopted and we picked up our daughter's younger sister in Indiana to take her along, and met their oldest sister and her new family in Colorado and camped around for a week together so the girls could have time together again (four years after the missionaries split them up). Anyway, we all loved it out there!! Did trout fishing, went 1,000 ft. down into an old mine (which I'd never do again!, I cried all the way down and back up -- claustrophobic, b-i-g time!), and many other great things.

Those of us who aren't able to get out there now are living it vicariously through your adventures................please keep posting!!

Thanks again.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. One of these years we plan to go back out West and if I can locate this thread again, this information will prove invaluable! We Easterners just don't have all the knowledge that those of you who are from out there or have been out there before have. Thanks again. (My DH isn't due to retire for another five years or so, but we're hoping we can fanagle to get a three-week vacation before that, but that's difficult to do, normally just two weeks at a time is the most he can take off.)

The last time we camped "out West" was in 1990 back when we first got into camping and had a pop-up tent camper. Our children are adopted and we picked up our daughter's younger sister in Indiana to take her along, and met their oldest sister and her new family in Colorado and camped around for a week together so the girls could have time together again (four years after the missionaries split them up). Anyway, we all loved it out there!! Did trout fishing, went 1,000 ft. down into an old mine (which I'd never do again!, I cried all the way down and back up -- claustrophobic, b-i-g time!), and many other great things.

Those of us who aren't able to get out there now are living it vicariously through your adventures................please keep posting!!

Thanks again.

Deb
So empathize, we are from Maine originally and finally are retired enough for this experience. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

Please, don't tell me it's the same ones that want to take over our health care system. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Hebgen Holiday Lakeside is my current favorite place to stay up near West Yellowstone. We don't stay in the park anymore, just was not worth it in our 37' MH. Rocky Mountain was nice too at the north entrance, but not near as nice as sitting on a lake every evening.

When we have a smaller towable it may change everything and we may find a place in the park we like. So tell me about any great places
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #129
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just my 2c-worth about Yellowstone.... and just coming off that "best practices"/SOP thread ..... for people from long distances away.

If it were me, I would make a reservation for Yellowstone. We were last there in early June, which was supposedly still their off-season, and stayed at the Bay Bridge campground. It was full-up one night; and then the nights when it wasn't full (but mostly so), some of the sites were not suitable for RVs, at least not large ones.

We were meeting up with some neighbours who are seat-of-the-pants RVers, and although they did get in with no reservations, their sites were so slanted, even with boards under their down-slope wheels, that one couple couldn't get their fridge to operate.

A couple of years ago we made a reservation in May for high-season camping at Grant Village, and there weren't a lot of sites left by then.

I just feel that it would be frustrating to travel such a long distance and then not be able to get in.

Some of the non-reservation campgrounds fill up early; and then not all sites are suitable for "the long, long, trailer."

The NPS has a major mandate to protect their resources in the face of budget cuts, so I don't know that they will add additional campgrounds any time soon.

Coulter Bay at the Tetons is not too far off and apparently seldom fills up, however. We've stayed there: it's a big campground in the woods. Apparently Mammoth Hot Springs in YNP at the north entrance is also a good bet. But the distances in YNP are long and the speed limit is low (at or under 40 mph), not counting traffic jams when people spot wildlife.

Most of the thermal features are on the west side of the loop roads, so it can just take a lot of extra driving to get to them from other parts. West Yellowstone RV parks would be a reasonable option.

It is a very special place, though, despite the crowds.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen
Please, don't tell me it's the same ones that want to take over our health care system. Sal.
Oh don't get me started my wife a doctor. You wouldn't even believe what is coming. !!!!!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne
Just my 2c-worth about Yellowstone.... and just coming off that "best practices"/SOP thread ..... for people from long distances away.

If it were me, I would make a reservation for Yellowstone. We were last there in early June, which was supposedly still their off-season, and stayed at the Bay Bridge campground. It was full-up one night; and then the nights when it wasn't full (but mostly so), some of the sites were not suitable for RVs, at least not large ones.

We were meeting up with some neighbours who are seat-of-the-pants RVers, and although they did get in with no reservations, their sites were so slanted, even with boards under their down-slope wheels, that one couple couldn't get their fridge to operate.

A couple of years ago we made a reservation in May for high-season camping at Grant Village, and there weren't a lot of sites left by then.

I just feel that it would be frustrating to travel such a long distance and then not be able to get in.

Some of the non-reservation campgrounds fill up early; and then not all sites are suitable for "the long, long, trailer."
I agree.

Really, in some situations, advanced planning is the only sane way to go, especially for your first few nights stay. If you are of a size and inclination to then look at first come, first serve sites, go for it.

Maggie
Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I agree too. We have already made reservations at Fishing Bridge for 2013. We were kind of seat of the pants this year our first with the trailer. Lots more planning goes into this type of camping than with a tent and a sleeping bag. But oh so worth it. We're learning....... We did get space easily at Mammoth in the park, with no hookups. We had the gen and learned about boondocking for two nights.

Dan
Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Just spent 3 Wonderful nights at Custer State Park. Saw buffalo, prong horn, deer, burros, a gazillion prairie dogs, and thousands of motorcycles! Went to see all the sights in the area and we're tired.

Tonight and for the next few nights we wanted "town camping" since the dog needs a groom (Bichon) and I need a haircut. And dang it, we wanted Internet so we could communicate & plan.

Re: Seat of the pants: we stopped at a hot, dusty, noisy truckstop outside Casper & started trying to find an urban campsite...lol. One was full, one was exorbitant, finally found one that said it was near SAMs, Walmart, mall, etc. & had one space left. We told them to hold it, we were 3 or 4 miles away. Seat of the pants is not fun for me. Especially in the heat!

It is quite possibly the ugliest RV park I've seen. We are next to a fenced mini storage, no trees, a dumpster for dinner view! It's almost under a highway ramp! LOL Noisy! And it really is full. When I think of what $28 gets me in Branson...

I kept telling Ray, "don't unhook", but I shut all window blinds and turned on loud AC, got television, ready for a news fix, got Internet. So it's ok, if we don't look outside!

We're trying to decide whether to head to Cody or down to Tetons and then come up.

Custer was great! So was Wind Cave, Crazy, Hot Springs, Horse, Rushmore, etc.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Just spent 3 Wonderful nights at Custer State Park. Saw buffalo, prong horn, deer, burros, a gazillion prairie dogs, and thousands of motorcycles! Went to see all the sights in the area and we're tired.

Tonight and for the next few nights we wanted "town camping" since the dog needs a groom (Bichon) and I need a haircut. And dang it, we wanted Internet so we could communicate & plan.

Re: Seat of the pants: we stopped at a hot, dusty, noisy truckstop outside Casper & started trying to find an urban campsite...lol. One was full, one was exorbitant, finally found one that said it was near SAMs, Walmart, mall, etc. & had one space left. We told them to hold it, we were 3 or 4 miles away. Seat of the pants is not fun for me. Especially in the heat!

It is quite possibly the ugliest RV park I've seen. We are next to a fenced mini storage, no trees, a dumpster for dinner view! It's almost under a highway ramp! LOL Noisy! And it really is full. When I think of what $28 gets me in Branson...

I kept telling Ray, "don't unhook", but I shut all window blinds and turned on loud AC, got television, ready for a news fix, got Internet. So it's ok, if we don't look outside!

We're trying to decide whether to head to Cody or down to Tetons and then come up.

Custer was great! So was Wind Cave, Crazy, Hot Springs, Horse, Rushmore, etc.
we were just in Teton and Cody. Signal Mt. at Grand Teton was fantastic! Nice private sites, lake, marina, lodge with good food and free wifi. Need to be under 30ft and there are no hookups or showers, still awesome. Location is central for all of the great hikes and fishing. Cody was a cute small town clearly trying to hang onto some onto the tourist passing through. We loved Custer also and plan to go back. When we were up against it traveling seat of the pants we resorted to Walmart, which actually was quieter and more pleasant than what it sounds you experienced at $28. We pulled in late, left early, did not un-hook, left our area spotless and spent $38 at the store. So despite the flack I've gotten for staying at Walmart, in a pinch it is a big help.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Since I work here, a word about Yellowstone.

The Organic Act that established the park specifically requires that the Park be both made available to the "people" as a "pleasuring ground" and have all of the beauty and natural features protected. Hard to do both.

You add an RV Park with say 300 sites, all providing 50 amp service and water/sewer and you are talking about a major upgrade to our power grid and utilities. This in an era where no one wants to pay any taxes and we already catch major grief over entrance and camping fees.

Why stop at 300? Why not 1000? we could fill every site every night. While we are at it, why not get rid of the bison, after all they cause a lot of inconvenient traffic jams... And those geysers -- what a waste of energy. Why not a power plant next to Old Faithful?

We can't win.

If you simply must have full hook-ups, there are fine RV parks minutes outside of the West Gate.

Why on earth would you want to see more power lines in the Park?

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Mike, it's simple supply and demand. Since there is more than enough demand for what the park can sustain, there's no need for additional supply. Thanks for taking care of our national treasure for us.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Mike, I hear you and understand what you're saying. I also appreciate it that you work to preserve our national treasures.

Having said that, it doesn't seem to be a problem to provide power, water, etc., to the huge lodges/hotels, the concessions, stores, etc., or to provide power to the many dwellings required to house park staff and administration.

I don't think anyone is asking that the park alter to suit RV owners. It just seems there could be some improvement and that the park could benefit from the revenue.

Airstreamers are generally very eco-conscious, and of course we wouldn't want bison or any wildlife to suffer so we could camp there.

As for the difficulty of the job of pleasing everyone, I certainly understand. I was in public jobs most of my life. But, they paid me for it, and I choose to do it. It's like every other job. Good and bad. I never found one that was all good.

Just because some of us wish for better accomodations for RVs in any national park doesn't mean we are criticizing the people who work there.
HOLLY, thanks. I think we should have gone to Walmart last night, but it was HOT! How did you handle that? Do you have a generator.

Anyway, we moved to a better full-hook up sit here and it isn't too bad. We're staying a couple more nights to get things done that require a town.

Love your suggestions, and thanks so much for steering us toward Custer. It was a wonderful experience in every way! Next time we'll try for Legion Lake or one of the more secluded campgrounds, but we did fine.

We've decided to head south from here to enter through the Tetons.

Reba McEntire

Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Back on thread - dumb question from someone who has never been where there are grizzly bears - is is ok to cook in your trailer or is it dangerous because of the odors? We have no experience with grizzlies.

I don't want to start a bear thread here. (I already did that somewhere else! LOL) I just want to know if you cook in your trailers while camped in Yellowstone or Glacier?

Some stuff says don't. What say you?

Reba McEntire

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Of course we cook in our campers, also outside.

Just clean up well and dispose of things when you're done. Your campground will have instructions, too.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Just got back from 5 days at bridge bay, there are much easier pickings than your AS. We cooked outside and inside both, not too scared of grizzlies. If u see one, I suggest you buy a lottery ticket that same day. There is a dead elk about a mile off the road in the Lamar Valley, there where some bear and wolves up there.